What's new

ASUS-RT-AX88U Install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daz_a_boy

New Around Here
Hi everyone, hope you are all good. I’m a newbie so please be gentle with me. I purchased the ASUS RT-AX88U due to my Virgin Hub 3 being totally pants on wifi amongst other things. I just want to know the best way step by step (thickies guide) to connecting and installing please. Thank you all..

Daz

Plug the WAN port of the Asus into one on the LAN ports on the Hub. Turn the Asus on and just follow the normal installation instructions.

Once you've got it working, log into the Hub and either turn off its WiFi, or better still switch it to "modem mode".

If you switch to modem mode it's best to wait a few minutes after everything has rebooted and then power off both the router and the Hub. Wait a minute, turn the Hub back on, wait another minute and then turn the Asus on. You should then be good to go.

Plug the WAN port of the Asus into one on the LAN ports on the Hub. Turn the Asus on and just follow the normal installation instructions.

Once you've got it working, log into the Hub and either turn off its WiFi, or better still switch it to "modem mode".

If you switch to modem mode it's best to wait a few minutes after everything has rebooted and then power off both the router and the Hub. Wait a minute, turn the Hub back on, wait another minute and then turn the Asus on. You should then be good to go.
Hi Colin and thank you. I’ve had quite a few issues with my hub 3 mainly wireless but wondered if I should reset the hub 3 first to eradicate any setting up issues. Your reply sounds quite simple enough to carry out so I’ll give that a whirl thanks. Is there any point in downloading the ASUS app onto my phone? When connected will the ASUS download the latest firmware? Many thanks in advance..
Daz

I've never bothered using the app myself.

I'd leave the Hub alone until you've got the Asus set up.

IIRC the router doesn't immediately try to update its firmware after being setup (although I might be wrong about that). You can check whether you're on the latest version by going to Administration - Firmware Upgrade and manually updating if you want to. Personally I'd leave it alone for couple of days.

I've never bothered using the app myself.

I'd leave the Hub alone until you've got the Asus set up.

IIRC the router doesn't immediately try to update its firmware after being setup (although I might be wrong about that). You can check whether you're on the latest version by going to Administration - Firmware Upgrade and manually updating if you want to. Personally I'd leave it alone for couple of days.
Thank you I’ll heed your advice..

Thank you I’ll heed your advice..
Hi Collin I reset the hub 3 before I did anything else mainly to clear any faults and the cache. Hub 3 is now in modem mode and speeds are around 218 on both wired and wireless devices that are capable of it. On a 200mb connection with a latency ping of around 18ms I consider that not too bad. Thanks for your help.
One other thing is I have a first generation iPad Air (1475) that we have had from new that my youngest son uses and given that the wireless standard is ‘n’ I’m getting no more than 50 to 70mbs at best. I thought I use to get 150mbs with the hub 3 before it finally went bonkers. I can’t make head or tail of it. Any ideas?

Do you have SmartConnect enabled?
Make sure the iPad connects to the faster 5GHz band. It can do about 150Mbps, but on 5GHz band only.

From what I can see online even though the iPad Air (1475) is "n" only it is still dual band, i.e. 2.4 and 5 GHz.

So I suggest that to go into the router's wireless settings. On the 2.4 band set the Channel bandwidth to 20 MHz. On the 5 band set the Channel bandwidth to 80 MHz.

Personally I turn off Smart Connect and give different names to each band, e.g. Asus and Asus5G. Then on your client make sure you are connecting to the 5GHz band.

Do you have SmartConnect enabled?
Make sure the iPad connects to the faster 5GHz band. It can do about 150Mbps, but on 5GHz band only.
Hi Tech9 and thanks for replying. I guess the smart connect is a setting on the ASUS as I’ve not heard of it on the iPad. I’ve not dabbled with or tweaked any settings on the new router as of yet so everything will be at the default settings. The quick answer is I don’t know. Should I have this enabled? Does this enable both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands? I’ll look into the settings when the other half is off conference calls Than you!

From what I can see online even though the iPad Air (1475) is "n" only it is still dual band, i.e. 2.4 and 5 GHz.

So I suggest that to go into the router's wireless settings. On the 2.4 band set the Channel bandwidth to 20 MHz. On the 5 band set the Channel bandwidth to 80 MHz.

Personally I turn off Smart Connect and give different names to each band, e.g. Asus and Asus5G. Then on your client make sure you are connecting to the 5GHz band.
Sorry Colin I didn’t see your post at first. That sounds about right. I’ll create two bands as that sounds logical. That’s extremely helpful and makes total sense. I’ll have a look later and tweak these settings cheers.

It's a router setting, one single SSID for both bands. Same as @ColinTaylor, I also prefer to keep it Disabled with 2x separate SSID's for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. This ensures the devices connect where I want them to connect.
Thanks Tech9 for your input, much appreciated. Thank you again..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!