What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U Merlin 386.8 Parental Controls 'Web & Apps Filters' not loading

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PpYey

New Around Here
Running AsusWrt-Merlin 386.8 on Asus AX88U router. Turning on the 'Web & Apps Filters' radius button does nothing to apply the feature, nothing loads on the page. Clicking on another tab or feature and then returning to the 'Web & Apps Filters' show the feature back to 'off'. Anyone coming across this same issue? Any suggestions?...Thanks!

I just had the same problem on my AX86U with 386.7. It has always worked in the past. I had to turn it off recently because my wife could not get into the Jockey (underwear) site. Tried to turn it back on today, the slider moves to on but the screen does not refresh and say applying changes (or whatever it used to say). I have not rebooted the router because I am on a 72 day uptime streak and didn't want to ruin that! :)

A usable connection trumps uptime, any day.

Any reason you're not on 386.7_2 yet?

A usable connection trumps uptime, any day.

Any reason you're not on 386.7_2 yet?
I am, just didn't write that in my post. I will reboot today.
===================
Just rebooted and it did not fix the problem. What's strange is that it (parental controls) was working fine and I have successfully turned it on and off several times since I have been on 386.7_2. It just stopped working the last time I tried to turn it back on yesterday.

Last edited:
Open your browser console and look for a Javascript error that`s preventing the rest of the page from loading properly.

Open your browser console and look for a Javascript error that`s preventing the rest of the page from loading properly.
The errors are all YouTube or Google related. I don't really know what to look for. FWIW, I can't turn on parental controls with Edge or Firefox either. Screenshot of some of the errors attached.
Chrome console errors.JPG

The errors are all YouTube or Google related. I don't really know what to look for. FWIW, I can't turn on parental controls with Edge or Firefox either. Screenshot of some of the errors attached.View attachment 44904
With the console open, reload the Parental Control page. Any error generated by that page will appear in the console.

Without seeing the actual line with the error it's hard to tell, but from a quick look at the genMain_table() function, it looks like you have invalid content in some of your router settings (possibly wrs_rulelist or wrs_app_rulelist. Have you ever applied some procedure to "optimize" your nvram? If so, then you might have removed these two variables thinking they weren't used or they were empty.

Without seeing the actual line with the error it's hard to tell, but from a quick look at the genMain_table() function, it looks like you have invalid content in some of your router settings (possibly wrs_rulelist or wrs_app_rulelist. Have you ever applied some procedure to "optimize" your nvram? If so, then you might have removed these two variables thinking they weren't used or they were empty.
I flash the firmware and that's it. I don't know how to optimize nvram and don't run any scripts or anything. I have not changed any settings since I flashed 386.7_2 73 days ago. I rebooted today only to see if that would fix the issue.
========
I reflashed 386.7_2 this morning but that did not fix the issue. I also tried using a Windows 11 laptop but that didn't work either. I guess I'll just live with it until the next release comes along.

Last edited:
Hello there. I would like to contribute to find a solution.
FW:388.1; ASUS RT-AX56U; just flashed, without any tweaks. - Parental control is not working.
Regards,
Jirka_1277

FW:388.1; ASUS RT-AX56U; just flashed, without any tweaks. - Parental control is not working.
Please define "is not working". Are you having the same webui issues as described by the initial poster, or is it a different issue?

Seems to be exactly the same issue. Im newbie here, and glad to have any help. Thank you.
Jirka
Checked via DevTools (Chrome ver 108.0.5359.125)
only:
  1. Page layout may be unexpected due to Quirks Mode
    1. One or more documents in this page is in Quirks Mode, which will render the affected document(s) with quirks incompatible with the current HTML and CSS specifications.
      Quirks Mode exists mostly due to historical reasons. If this is not intentional, you can add or modify the DOCTYPE to be `<!DOCTYPE html>` to render the page in No Quirks Mode.
    2. AFFECTED RESOURCES
      1. 1 element
        1. Document in the DOM treeModeURL
          documentLimited Quirks Mode

• Learn more: Document compatibility mode

This is just an unrelated warning. You need to look for actual errors as the OP posted above, and post the content of the line that generated the error.

Hi Eric,
I noticed today after upgrading to version 386.10 that Web & Apps Filters is blank. I turned it off and tried to turn it on again and nothing happens. Have tested on both Safari and Chrome. Normally when you enable it you get a pop-up with the loading 0-100%. This is not happening any longer. If I leave Web & Apps Filters and go back it is OFF.

I have a ASUS RT-AC88U

Skärmavbild 2023-03-11 kl. 20.06.07.png

Last edited:
UPDATE!
After a complete factory reset, enabling web & app filters now works.

Last edited: