What's new

Asus RT-AX88U or Asus Rapture GT-AC5300?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NEO2070

New Around Here
Undecided on which to purchase a Asus RT-AX88U or Asus Rapture GT-AC5300? Both have the same processor and memory and I don't have any AX clients since none are available at the moment but thinking about future proofing with the RT-AX88U.
However I do game and like the Rapture GT-AC5300 interface since it was built for gaming and cannot afford the price tag of the Asus ROG GT-AX11000 at the moment.

Undecided on which to purchase a Asus RT-AX88U or Asus Rapture GT-AC5300? Both have the same processor and memory and I don't have any AX clients since none are available at the moment but thinking about future proofing with the RT-AX88U.
However I do game and like the Rapture GT-AC5300 interface since it was built for gaming and cannot afford the price tag of the Asus ROG GT-AX11000 at the moment.

My thoughts are that the GT-xxxx routers are not an option as RMerlin support is excluded from all of those.

The RT-AX88U is a draft version (both hardware and firmware) and doesn't offer any serious future-proofing at all.

I would not buy a 'gaming' router. No such thing, except for marketing lingo. I would buy an RMerlin supported router and use it with the FreshJR QOS script instead. ;)

What router do you have now?

If you need to upgrade your router today, the RT-AC86U is the only sane choice, IMO. Unless buying and testing one of the models above proves to be superior in your actual network environment, the RT-AC86U will give you throughput improvements over WiFi, VPN and 1Gbps ISP connections over almost any router you currently have. And with RMerlin firmware installed, it is only more stable, more reliable and offers more features than stock Asus firmware too.

Thank you for your reply..currently I have a XR500 from Netgear while it is solid and has not given me any issues with stability it is a bit underpowered in the 2.4ghz band and transfer speeds since it is based on 4 year old technology. (The Netgear R7800 X4S AC2600)

Thank you for your reply..currently I have a XR500 from Netgear while it is solid and has not given me any issues with stability it is a bit underpowered in the 2.4ghz band and transfer speeds since it is based on 4 year old technology. (The Netgear R7800 X4S AC2600)

That router is still highly regarded! But I have a feeling that the RT-AC86U may offer you more. ;)

Don't buy if you don't need it though. In a little less than 8 months from now, final 'AX' routers (firmware and hardware) will be available or at least be introduced, and that should be a great time to upgrade from the still current (on the charts) router you now have. :)

Even if you decide to buy and try the RT-AC86U, track the prices for a while as I have seen it go on some very good sales regularly. Mine I found for almost 60% off with coupons, price matching, and other bonuses. :)

That technology is still up-to-date. What's newer right now is experimental/draft technology, so it's not necessarily an improvement.

Agreed but if you had the choice between the Asus Rapture GT-5300 and the Asus RT-AX88U based on performance and stability which one to chose?

Agreed but if you had the choice between the Asus Rapture GT-5300 and the Asus RT-AX88U based on performance and stability which one to chose?

RT-AX88U. Too many features I don't care about on the GT-AC5300. The more feature a product has, the more likely it is to have something break down at some point. Go with what serves you specific needs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!