What's new

Asus RT-AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For those of you that have this router is it possible to set it up using one of the 4, 1g LAN ports as primary WAN? I don't have dual WAN to make use of that and not sure if that's something you can configure.

The reason I ask is I only need 1G for WAN but have a use for both 2.5G ports in the LAN as both my main pc and NAS have a 2.5g capable port and the enhanced copy speeds for backups SSD to SSD would be great.
I had to play with Dual WAN recently because my WAN port started negotiating at 100Mbit. So I used dual wan mode to make the 2.5Gb LAN port as the primary WAN. As I remember it, it required that I still keep the WAN port as alternate, so I couldn’t repurpose the WAN port to LAN (I wanted to perform more cable tests).

I could be mistaken, but that’s how I remember playing with it on the stock firmware. The router is shipped off to Asus now, so I cant confirm my own B.S.

The reason I ask is I only need 1G for WAN but have a use for both 2.5G ports in the LAN as both my main pc and NAS have a 2.5g capable port and the enhanced copy speeds for backups SSD to SSD would be great.
Same boat and no you can't, I will later buy a little 2.5G switch for PC/NAS.

I think the more advanced users will at some point have to rip off the bandaid and move to a router/firewall that allows you more control - ie *sense, unfi, omada, etc. For the first you will need to either get one of the netgate devices or run your own on a white box. There is some learning curve to configuring each of these as they have their own nuances.

Asusmerlin opens up lots of opportunities but at the end of the day these devices come with just too many limitations unless you're well versed in openwrt commandline. The hardware is there, but the software doesn't expose much of its capabilities. I say the same about the orbi stuff. Decent hardare, garbage software.

Once on separate firewall, get what ever AP floats your boat and configure the ports/vlans any way you see fit.

I had to play with Dual WAN recently because my WAN port started negotiating at 100Mbit. So I used dual wan mode to make the 2.5Gb LAN port as the primary WAN. As I remember it, it required that I still keep the WAN port as alternate, so I couldn’t repurpose the WAN port to LAN (I wanted to perform more cable tests).

I could be mistaken, but that’s how I remember playing with it on the stock firmware. The router is shipped off to Asus now, so I cant confirm my own B.S.
Same boat and no you can't, I will later buy a little 2.5G switch for PC/NAS.
Thanks kind of expected that, like you say maybe a small switch is the better solution.

But the 88U-Pro is "supposed to be better" than its GT fraternal twin! Haven't seen similar issues for /it/...

For those of you that have this router is it possible to set it up using one of the 4, 1g LAN ports as primary WAN? I don't have dual WAN to make use of that and not sure if that's something you can configure.

I don't think so. Under the dual WAN tab, you can designate one of the 1g LAN ports as the primary WAN, but that automatically defaults the 2.5g WAN port to be the secondary WAN.

I think the more advanced users will at some point have to rip off the bandaid and move to a router/firewall that allows you more control - ie *sense, unfi, omada, etc. For the first you will need to either get one of the netgate devices or run your own on a white box. There is some learning curve to configuring each of these as they have their own nuances.

Asusmerlin opens up lots of opportunities but at the end of the day these devices come with just too many limitations unless you're well versed in openwrt commandline. The hardware is there, but the software doesn't expose much of its capabilities. I say the same about the orbi stuff. Decent hardare, garbage software.

Once on separate firewall, get what ever AP floats your boat and configure the ports/vlans any way you see fit.

What you are suggesting will cost alot more than an Asus Router running merlin. And most people at home just don't have a use for an "enterprise grade" setup at home. Of course there will be some that can but most on here probably not.

What you are suggesting will cost alot more than an Asus Router

May not cost significantly more than a bunch of Asus routers in AiMesh though. It will be better investment over time as well.

It depends on the needs. I use 4x high-end APs in my house, but I also use single AIO router in my apartment. It's more than enough there.

What you are suggesting will cost alot more than an Asus Router running merlin. And most people at home just don't have a use for an "enterprise grade" setup at home. Of course there will be some that can but most on here probably not.
Have you priced out an orbi kit lately? Some of their offerings are $600-1000+, and still locked down with the garbage firmware.