What's new

Asus RT-AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I paid $259.99 CAD - $25 coupon ($265.54 after taxes) at Staples Toronto a few days ago.

Yup, I was also one of "those" who jumped on that deal :D

Looks like I will join the club, one is on the way! Was able to score same price but taxes are higher over here plus 16$ shipping. I'm happy with that.

Now how do you upgrade from another router? It wasn't a question years ago but since then so many devices were added with time, it's insane. I guess I make sure to use the same Wifi names and paswords and all is set? Can I export my fixed IPs from current RT-AC1900P to import in the new one or I have to manually do this?

I do not use any advanced feature like DDNS, VPN and anything about Trendmicro so it should be quite easy, right?

Last edited:
Looks like I will join the club, one is on the way! Was able to score same price but taxes are higher over here plus 16$ shipping. I'm happy with that.

Now how do you upgrade from another router? It wasn't a question years ago but since then so many devices were added with time, it's insane. I guess I make sure to use the same Wifi names and paswords and all is set? Can I export my fixed IPs from current RT-AC1900P to import in the new one or I have to manually do this?

I do not use any advanced feature like DDNS, VPN and anything about Trendmicro so it should be quite easy, right?

Don't export the config from the current router and import it into the new one.

If you're going to go to merlin on the new one, then you need to run through a few steps to flash the new firmware on there. I created a thread on here about what needed to be done: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...lin-firmware-to-brand-new-rt-ax88u-pro.86072/

Typically you'd take a screenshot of every screen in the existing router so you have a visual record of what you have configured, then input the same data from the screenshots into the new router.

When you say fixed IP's do you mean static DHCP assignments? If so then I had switched from adding them in the GUI to specifying them in a file. I followed the info here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/add-dhcp-static-leases-from-cli.55502/post-471853

Don't export the config from the current router and import it into the new one.

If you're going to go to merlin on the new one, then you need to run through a few steps to flash the new firmware on there. I created a thread on here about what needed to be done: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...lin-firmware-to-brand-new-rt-ax88u-pro.86072/

Typically you'd take a screenshot of every screen in the existing router so you have a visual record of what you have configured, then input the same data from the screenshots into the new router.

When you say fixed IP's do you mean static DHCP assignments? If so then I had switched from adding them in the GUI to specifying them in a file. I followed the info here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/add-dhcp-static-leases-from-cli.55502/post-471853
I concur, just start from scratch

But to save some time with the static, IP addresses, you might be able to install a script to save all your static, IP addresses, and then you could import them using the script into the new router.

Exporting and importing should be a Safeway using YazDHCP

I was trying to think of the name of DHCP thing, I might have a look at it
If you are running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware and use a lot of static assigned IPs, YazDHCP is the way to go. I have used it with great success in the past.

Thanks all, yeah I knew I could not export/import and about static IPs, I have a few like a NAS and a printer and then some I could let go. I will also have a look at YazDHCP.

Anyone can tell me if this new router support personalized device icons? I took some time to create a few that match exactly our equipment and it would be cool if I can still use those. Here are 2 of the devices I made:

1692306246706.png

Thanks all, yeah I knew I could not export/import and about static IPs, I have a few like a NAS and a printer and then some I could let go. I will also have a look at YazDHCP.

Anyone can tell me if this new router support personalized device icons? I took some time to create a few that match exactly our equipment and it would be cool if I can still use those. Here are 2 of the devices I made:

View attachment 52412
As far as I know, yes it will.

Can the ax-88u pro's vlan be configured in AP mode?

That is, an upstream firewall/router (pfsense) will handle all dns/dhcp traffic assignments for the vlans. A trunk port on the asus device will receive several vlans and then internal config distribute them to either untagged ethernet ports and/or wifi ssid's?

I'm doing this through console now on a rt-ac68u but have been considering upgrading to something newer/faster.

Can the ax-88u pro's vlan be configured in AP mode?

That is, an upstream firewall/router (pfsense) will handle all dns/dhcp traffic assignments for the vlans. A trunk port on the asus device will receive several vlans and then internal config distribute them to either untagged ethernet ports and/or wifi ssid's?

I'm doing this through console now on a rt-ac68u but have been considering upgrading to something newer/faster.
To answer my own question, NO!

Picked up the unit today at MC, applied latest fw. Gui had vlan option settings up until I changed mode to AP. A popup came on indicating "pro" options are not available in AP mode. Of course, this can be added to software. So much for "PROsumer" class. Oh well, back it goes.

Most of the "Pro" things involve routing and security - enhanced AI Protection (IPS) and Parental Control etc.
Not much of anything for AP mode.

^^Relatively useless to me as I'm running sophos utm at the moment, migrating to one of the *sense flavors in a few months.

Ordered a tplinnk EAP670. Based on specs that should provide what I need (~1500sq rectangular house).

^^Relatively useless to me as I'm running sophos utm at the moment, migrating to one of the *sense flavors in a few months.

Ordered a tplinnk EAP670. Based on specs that should provide what I need (~1500sq rectangular house).
The tplink is a nice AP. In looking at it, Asus should consider an AX88U version in a round case like that. It almost looks like a smoke detector - so it would somewhat "blend in" with a house.

A popup came on indicating "pro" options are not available in AP mode.

Interesting. I don't have a Pro router to play with, but I was expecting VLAN tagging was made available in AP Mode.

For your case - business class access point is the better option indeed. TP-Link Omada AP is a good price/performance choice.

Asus should consider an AX88U version in a round case like that

On the consumer market spider or alien shape, color accents, RGB lights and many sticking out antennas are important part of the marketing.

Interesting. I don't have a Pro router to play with, but I was expecting VLAN tagging was made available in AP Mode.

For your case - business class access point is the better option indeed. TP-Link Omada AP is a good price/performance choice.
That was my assumption as well. I see no reason why vlans can't work in AP mode. This arrangement has been working fine for a number of years in a RT configured through console. It's pain to do so, but doable.

I've got a new desktop in an unwired area, so wifi is the only option. Figure it's time to upgrade to AX. This other ap is form 2013/14. Chances are this feature will be added in some future update. At $240 OTD, I want this feature now. Else I can get one of the AP's for $100 less.

On the consumer market you pay first and then hope the features you want will start working at some point. This Pro router doesn't have official Pro firmware available yet. You perhaps knew the firmware is still in beta before the purchase. The device is pretty cheap for RPi-like router, 5-port switch and an AX access point. It's also AX-class and Asus is perhaps focusing on upcoming BE-class products. Depending on your networking knowledge you wait for Asus or you find what you need from another vendor. Home AIO router as AP to pfSense firewall is a weird hardware choice anyway.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!