What's new

Asus RT-AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In my experience, wired or wirelessly doesn't make any difference in how successful a firmware flash may be.

Safely remove any USB devices. Reboot the router via the GUI.

Keep trying to flash (the correct firmware file) until it takes.

Afterward, be sure you're doing a full reset to get all the benefits that the RMerlin firmware offers.

I worked! I had to remove the USB Device! I will check if there are any bugs and let you know. Now I want to install Diversion as I read it's the best adblocker out there. Also (most) YouTube Ads? or is there a better solution?

There are no known 'best' YouTube adblockers. Diversion's was always 'experimental' and seems hit and miss for many users. There were indications that it will be removed in the next update too.

Thank you. I have literally switched on all services via atmt to test them. Which would I need to disable to install Adguard Home without running into conflicts?

1679871809850.png

I formatted the USB and I reset the router to the original Firmware and now I have to use the (still beta) version of this router. Thanks!

What would you suggest to install besides Firmware and Adguard?

It depends on what do you need. I would just run stock Asuswrt on it. No scripts and USB sticks. AdGuard DNS does similar thing as AdGuard Home with no need to install anything. When you run scripts off USB your router is as reliable as the USB stick. You want to set the router once and forget about it or you want to play with it?

Do you know why when I run ATMT those services are still installed but when I open them they don't work? LOL

I installed original ASUS Firmware then I installed the Beta WRT Firmware for the 88 Pro. What am im missing here?

It depends on what do you need. I would just run stock Asuswrt on it. No scripts and USB sticks. AdGuard DNS does similar thing as AdGuard Home with no need to install anything. When you run scripts off USB your router is as reliable as the USB stick. You want to set the router once and forget about it or you want to play with it?
Skynet and VPN Management + the Adblocker as I want to use 2 custom blacklists and REGEX in URLs

Do you know why when I run ATMT those services are still installed but when I open them they don't work? LOL
Remove the USB drive and reformat it in a PC. Then perform a hard reset of the router to remove the remnants of the old scripts.

EDIT: Duplicate post. Already answered here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-showing-scripts-as-installed-after-firmware-reboot.84281/

@thomaswillner Please don't create duplicate posts as it just wastes people's time.

Last edited:
The built-in firewall blocks all unsolicited connections by default. You most likely don't need Skynet unless you want to limit yourself.

Run 388.2 Beta for now and install AdGuard Home only. See how it works and if it does what you need. You can't block YouTube ads.
You can block YouTube Ads by using a VPN and using location Albania (for example) - well you do not block them there are non

alternative is

Some Regex and some Blocklists but they block 50% maybe

My Problem is I want to block YouTube Ads on Apple Devices

Install SmartTubeNext on your client. As others have warned, many have tried using DNS - and many have failed.

You had asked about addon's to run. IMHO here are some ideas:

First, Asuswrt-merlin on it's own adds some very helpful functions. Many more things to tune/tweak (in my case, the ability in the WAN tab to reduce WAN MTU to 1420 for T-Mobile gateways).

If you want to assign clients specific IP addresses, you can't beat YazDHCP. Doesn't even need a USB drive. Much more useful than the built in DHCP Server options. Plus you can export and import your lists.

The next step up - Entware. Great stuff. And needed by various addons. There are lots of apps, libs, etc. available (opkg list > opkglist; more opkglist). Careful, easy to get carried away!!!

For keeping an eye on your network and router - here is a few: (and use AMTM to install them)
scribe/UiScribe - nice way to keep the log clutter under control
scMerlin - light weight, nice Web tab that shows memory/disk usage, process running) and bonus - restart many of the services running.
LED control (to turn off and on those flashing router LED's at sunset/sunrise)
RTRMON - nice script that gives you lots of detailed information about your network and router

If you want even more monitoring of your network (level 2)

spdMerlin - runs a speedtest at set times and lets you know how "fast" your wan is. YMMV
connmon - a nice occasional ping thing that lets you see latencys on your WAN
vnStat - lots of link and network level statistics and information on your WAN

(these do use wan bandwidth - your decision)

For the next level up - really want to tune things (warning - getting to some "expert level" stuff)

unbound Manager - very nice addon that lets your router be a real DNS recursive server. Believe me, trying to install unbound (the actual application) and ANYTHING can be maddening. This app just - makes it work. Ahh, if only @Martineau would port this to RaspberryPi OS, he would be legend.

Note that I am not including some of the other addons like Diversion, FlexQos, VPNMON, Wireguard Session Manager, Skynet, AddGuard Manager etc. These are best left to specific issues and needs. Do you want to try to tune Qos? Need a VPN and ways to monitor and manager? If so, read many of the forum threads and decide if you want to jump in.

Last, for some fun with your new AX88U Pro - check out AMTM's Router Games ;-)

ps: If your installing an drive (any kind, SSD, USB stick) be sure to enable "dc" in AMTM. It will run a filesystem check of the drive at boot/reboot time. Be sure to enable it. You have been warned...

@RMerlin Will you eventually add this router to the list of supported by your firmware?

The AX88U Pro looks to be a update to the original AX88U. Like AX6000 in AX88U skin and since the AX6000 is already supported ?

I would upgrade to this instead of the AX6000 when I decide to move my Wan speed past 1 Gbps if supported.

View attachment 47793

I would not waste the money upgrading if you already have a AX88U. See my review at
Post in thread 'Asus RT-AX88u Pro - Odd Product??'
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-pro-odd-product.84460/post-833826

I would not waste the money upgrading if you already have a AX88U. See my review at
Post in thread 'Asus RT-AX88u Pro - Odd Product??'
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax88u-pro-odd-product.84460/post-833826

nice review.

For me the point of upgrading would be to move up to a faster fiber connection from my ISP. Wifi performance is secondary on my network as only the phones and couple laptops use it. I will need a faster wan port than the 1Gbps port on the AX88U so i will have to move up to it eventually. It is the same price I paid for the older router currently so $399 CAD so I can wait for a price drop or later this year. If I find a buyer for the AX88U before that point I may move up faster.

I'm ok sitting back right now and just watching the pricing.

I do agree with you saying they should have done more with the product like 2GB's of ram and VLAN support via the gui if you were going to attach the pro name to it. For now its basically just the 2.5Gbps ports + 4 ports and a 200mhz faster cpu. Would have been nice if Wifi 6E was added also.

Last edited: