What's new

Asus RT-AX88U - USB Harddrive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ManuSwe

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have a RT-AX88U with the latest Merlin firmware (384.17) and have a harddrive connected to the USB, after a restart of the router, the harddrive is discovered and I can use it to read and store data, but after some hours the harddrive is disconnected and I can't reach it anymore. The router report that not harddrive i detected and even if I disconnect it and reconnect it, the router doesn't detect it, I have to circlepower the router to find it again...

Anyone have the same problem?
Is it a known problem?
I have own several router from Asus and on some the harddrive is working all the time perfectly, on other, it does the same thing, disconnect after some hours and never connect it again...

Thanks for any help.

Hi,
I have a RT-AX88U with the latest Merlin firmware (384.17) and have a harddrive connected to the USB, after a restart of the router, the harddrive is discovered and I can use it to read and store data, but after some hours the harddrive is disconnected and I can't reach it anymore. The router report that not harddrive i detected and even if I disconnect it and reconnect it, the router doesn't detect it, I have to circlepower the router to find it again...

Anyone have the same problem?
Is it a known problem?
I have own several router from Asus and on some the harddrive is working all the time perfectly, on other, it does the same thing, disconnect after some hours and never connect it again...

Thanks for any help.

Did you set the USB not to sleep in Admin /system:
upload_2020-5-21_7-14-33.jpeg

Hi, yes I did, I tried both and it doesn't matter, the harddrive is getting disconnected after some hours...

Hi, yes I did, I tried both and it doesn't matter, the harddrive is getting disconnected after some hours...

My guess is that the HD firmware or its enclosure causes it to hibernate and it does not wake properly. Some HDs are like this and maybe another model without this feature would solve your issue.

I found a thread where the description was quite the same with another router and he wrote that the USB 2.0 has no problem, only 3.0, I will try to change to 2.0 and see if it works better...

I found a thread where the description was quite the same with another router and he wrote that the USB 2.0 has no problem, only 3.0, I will try to change to 2.0 and see if it works better...

The AX88 has 2 usb 3.0 ports, can they be configured independently?

I haven't connected 2 USB drive but it seems you should be able to adjust if you want 2.0 or 3.0 independently...
upload_2020-5-21_18-28-59.png

As another user mentioned, some USB harddrives will go into power down automatically after a period of time. I had a WD drive that did this. I tracked down a utility from Western Digital that let me disable this feature. Works fine now.
See if your drives manufacturer has a utility that might let you modify its defaults.

Hi, now 1 day and everything is working fine, my harddrive is still online...
I will wait some more day to be sure that the problem came from the USB 3.0, but I know that it used to get disconnected after some hours, so 1 day is a big step forward...

4 days now without any problem, so the change from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 was the trick to get it work!
Something have to be wrong with the USB 3.0...