What's new

Asus RT-AX88U Wifi devices disconncting and cannot reconect - "Disassociated because sending station is leaving"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see no indication that you have used a WiFi monitor as suggested. That and this may solve your issues:
Thanks for taking the time to reply
I can confirm that I do have the setting as per the link you shared.

1656711374336.png

If by WIFI monitor you mean confirm good signal range ext than I can confirm the signal is not an issue i have good signal and and i can go past the location of the devices and into the garden and still have signal. also devices seem to go off at the same time.

I have just had 2 units go offline her is the log from the router
1656711397699.png
1656711690253.png

FYI these devices are approximately 5/6 meters from router in open plan downstairs with nothing between router and device

Jul 1 22:27:53 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): wl0.1: Auth 24:A1:60:19:7D:84, status: Successful (0)
Jul 1 22:27:53 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): wl0.1: Deauth_ind 24:A1:60:19:7D:84, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1)
Jul 1 22:27:53 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): wl0.1: Auth 24:A1:60:19:7D:84, status: Successful (0)
Jul 1 22:27:53 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): wl0.1: Assoc 24:A1:60:19:7D:84, status: Successful (0)
Jul 1 22:27:58 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): wl0.1: Disassoc 24:A1:60:19:7D:84, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jul 1 22:27:58 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): wl0.1: Disassoc 24:A1:60:19:7D:84, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jul 1 22:28:04 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): wl0.1: Auth C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)
Jul 1 22:28:04 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): wl0.1: Assoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)
Jul 1 22:28:10 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): wl0.1: Auth 24:A1:60:19:7D:84, status: Successful (0)
Jul 1 22:28:10 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): wl0.1: Assoc 24:A1:60:19:7D:84, status: Successful (0)
Jul 1 22:28:13 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): wl0.1: Disassoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jul 1 22:28:13 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): wl0.1: Disassoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jul 1 22:28:17 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): wl0.1: Auth C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)
Jul 1 22:28:17 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(469): wl0.1: Deauth_ind C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Unspecified reason (1)
Jul 1 22:28:17 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): wl0.1: Auth C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)
Jul 1 22:28:17 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): wl0.1: Disassoc 24:A1:60:19:7D:84, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jul 1 22:28:17 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): wl0.1: Disassoc 24:A1:60:19:7D:84, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Jul 1 22:28:17 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): wl0.1: Assoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)

This situation will stay the same untill i rebout the router, or restart the Wifi with SSH command service restart_wireless Unit come instantly back online after

After reset using above command

1656711908865.png

This line in the log is the issue:
It indicates that the router can not hear the host. When you use a WiFi monitor, are there other networks sharing the channel with decent strength? If yes, try another or even better set the channel to Auto. I know some people don't like auto channel yet in a congested environment it is sometimes the only way to survive. Also, in professional mode, try disabling airtime fairness.

If you have a microwave in your home try connecting your phone or laptop to the 2.4 GHz band and run a constant ping from about 1 foot away from the microwave and see if you start dropping responses. If you do clean the seals and if that dose not correct it get a new one. If it's OK at 3 feet after cleaning it may be OK for your network yet be smart and stay 3 feet from it when it operates.

This line in the log is the issue:
It indicates that the router can not hear the host. When you use a WiFi monitor, are there other networks sharing the channel with decent strength? If yes, try another or even better set the channel to Auto. I know some people don't like auto channel yet in a congested environment it is sometimes the only way to survive. Also, in professional mode, try disabling airtime fairness.

If you have a microwave in your home try connecting your phone or laptop to the 2.4 GHz band and run a constant ping from about 1 foot away from the microwave and see if you start dropping responses. If you do clean the seals and if that dose not correct it get a new one. If it's OK at 3 feet after cleaning it may be OK for your network yet be smart and stay 3 feet from it when it operates
When I look at the WIFI monitor i can see the below, from my understanding my IOTDevices is the strongest on that channel (IPx are my networks also, IOTDevices is the first 2.4g guest network.)

I do have microwave, i can try leave it turned off to test with, my only though regarding this is that's why would the issue be sorted (suddenly able to hear) instantly when the wifi is restated and then ok for 24 hours, normally loose devices once every 24 hours (but not at the same time and not exactly 24 hours)

i have tried different ch and also auto

1656713691508.png

Please provide a channel graph that shows all networks on 2.4

When I design 2.4 Ghz networks, I like to see a signal of -70 DB or stronger. Your host called IOTDevices has a week signal. If it were 5-Ghz that signal would be OK.

24 hours is an important amount of time. By Default, DHCP leases expire in 24 hours. If the host can not renew it's IP it may disconnect. This points to communication issues, possibly from interference. Dose anyone in your household use any sort of Torrent file transfer or similar? They can overwhelm routers and cause all sorts of annoying and strange problems.

If that signal strength list is at your router it's having trouble hearing the IOT device and that's your problem. Move the router or add an AIMesh node.

Wi-Fi Analyzer type app won't give any usable information about channel available bandwidth.

I like to see a signal of -70 DB or stronger

This is correct, -70dBm is on the edge for 2.4GHz band and IoT devices usually have weak radios.

Wi-Fi Analyzer type app won't give any usable information about channel available bandwidth.

This is correct, -70dBm is on the edge for 2.4GHz band and IoT devices usually have weak radios.

It will not show usage yet it will show if there are other networks with a strong signal that if busy are making the situation worse. Changing channels could help if there is a clear one or even a less busy one. The challenge is that many routers are on auto so if you change they also change and this wave of changes goes one and on.

When I design 2.4 Ghz networks, I like to see a signal of -70 DB or stronger. Your host called IOTDevices has a week signal. If it were 5-Ghz that signal would be OK.

24 hours is an important amount of time. By Default, DHCP leases expire in 24 hours. If the host can not renew it's IP it may disconnect. This points to communication issues, possibly from interference. Dose anyone in your household use any sort of Torrent file transfer or similar? They can overwhelm routers and cause all sorts of annoying and strange problems.

If that signal strength list is at your router it's having trouble hearing the IOT device and that's your problem. Move the router or add an AIMesh node.
I don't run any torrents

I have 10 wifi IOT devices, and about 15 rfid devices connected to zigby bridge mainly its the sonoff mini's that are the issue
I have 3 firesticks but only ever 2 on at the same time mainly streaming baby tv ext lol (5GHz)

List of 2.4GHz devices

1656715324200.png

the last screen shot was taken from my office, this screen shot is taken from the location of the IOT devices showing the error above
1656715095306.png

he other 2.4GHz on top of IOT Devices is my main 2.4 network

It will not show usage yet it will show if there are other networks with a strong signal that if busy are making the situation worse.

It will show other networks only. Now busy they are is unknown. Interference levels are unknown. This is a very common mistake made when using Wi-Fi Analyzer apps. A channel with less networks is perhaps with less available bandwidth. Routers around on Auto moved away already. The main issue here is the signal level below -70dBm.

List of 2.4GHz devices

You don't need to hide internal IP addresses.

It will show other networks only. Now busy they are is unknown. Interference levels are unknown. This is a very common mistake made when using Wi-Fi Analyzer apps. A channel with less networks is perhaps with less available bandwidth. Routers around on Auto moved away already. The main issue here is the signal level below -70dBm.
Thanks, i think my recent screen shot shows that where the devices in question are located the signal was -51 so should be ok?

Some IoT devices have issues with specific radios and there are many threads about it on SNB Forums. Kasa devices had issues with Asus routers recently, on specific firmware release. Why you get disconnections is hard to diagnose and you'll need to find a solution by trial and error. Worst case scenario is issue with your router. AX88U is a good router, but some suffer 2.4GHz radio issues. I had one of those recently and had to reflow the 2.4GHz SoC to make it work properly again. Stay below -70dBm and experiment with different firmware versions. There is no instant fix.

the other 2.4GHz on top of IOT Devices is my main 2.4 network

Move it to channel 1. Lock 802.11n only on 2.4GHz, of you have no legacy 802.11g devices. Disable all Agile Multiband, Target Wake Time, AX in general on 2.4GHz... In Professional settings all Beamforming, MU-MIMO, Airtime Fairness, TX Bursting, WMM APSD. Test again.

Some IoT devices have issues with specific radios and there are many threads about it on SNB Forums. Kasa devices had issues with Asus routers recently, on specific firmware release. Why you get disconnections is hard to diagnose and you'll need to find a solution by trial and error. Worst case scenario is issue with your router. AX88U is a good router, but some suffer 2.4GHz radio issues. I had one of those recently and had to reflow the 2.4GHz SoC to make it work properly again. Stay below -70dBm and experiment with different firmware versions. There is no instant fix.
Sorry i don't understand the comment reflow the 2.4GHz SoC
The router is about 6/8 month old from new (just fyi)
I've tried the last and the most resent firmware.

There are also some fixes I've tried on the IOT device for example not letting them sleep as quick ext. (cant remember the exact setting of the top of my head it was a while ago), i found these when i also saw the same info about IOT devices not playing as nicely with this router (unfortunately after purchasing)

My main point of confusing is that
1. its not always the same device that goes of first.
2. when 1 device goes of its normally followed by many others within seconds/minuets
3. when i loose them i can power cycle the lost device and it is not found again but as above, if i restart the wifi it goes back right away. (current hack is to monitor when device goes offline and send reset, don't stop it happening but its an auto recovery that works instantly, i just set a 2 min timeout before its triggered)

About our house, (just for info)
we have no doors downstairs its all open plan
i have the router position in the most central place in the house downstairs on the wall about 10 inches from roof

Move it to channel 1. Lock 802.11n only on 2.4GHz, of you have no legacy 802.11g devices. Disable all Beamforming, MU-MIMO, Agile Multiband, TWT, Airtime Fairness, TX Bursting, WMM APSD. Test again.
I've set ch1 and other setting to test with, but i cant see Agile Multiband, TWT
1656717117847.png

1656717355025.png

Sorry i don't understand the comment reflow the 2.4GHz SoC

I had to repair it by disassembling the unit, soaking the chip in flux and melting the solder balls with hot air station. I not saying this is your issue because I have no way to find out by messages exchange, bit just saying I've seen AX88U with failing inconsistent 2.4GHz radio and the only way to fix it was hardware repair. Multiple devices disconnecting at the same time and need to reboot to fix temporary is not a good sign.

I had to repair it by disassembling the unit, soaking the chip in flux and melting the solder balls with hot air station. I not saying this is your issue because I have no way to find out by messages exchange, bit just saying I've seen AX88U with failing inconsistent 2.4GHz radio and the only way to fix it was hardware repair. Multiple devices disconnecting at the same time and need to reboot to fix temporary is not a good sign.
understood, ive updated them setting so ill see how it goes, ive got a log file running to monitor when unit disconnect.

Thanks all for your recommendations.

I've set ch1 and other setting to test with, but i cant see Agile Multiband, TWT

Looks good, switch Modulation Scheme to MCS 7 802.11n as last attempt to make settings as compatible as possible.

Set Preamble Type - Long. This is the Default setting. Why did you change it? Try Beacon Interval 50.

If you have nothing time-sensitive on 2.4GHz network (like VoIP), try enabling Optimize AMPDU aggregation.

Last edited:
made changes
The only stuff on 2.4 is my IOT devices And (ring doorbell)
I changes to short as i read on a forum to try it.
Looks good, switch Modulation Scheme to MCS 7 802.11n as last attempt to make settings as compatible as possible.

Set Preamble Type - Long. This is the Default setting. Why did you change it? Try Beacon Interval 50.

If you have nothing time-sensitive on 2.4GHz network (like VoIP), try enabling Optimize AMPDU aggregation.
1656718250684.png

Test and see how it goes. There is nothing else to try.

When testing different firmware make sure you reset the router to factory defaults to avoid previous firmware settings mess. Don't use saved configuration files, configure the router manually. I don't know what Asuswrt-Merlin features you use, but I would fight issues with stock Asuswrt only.