What's new

ASUS - RT-AX92U - RED WAN LIGHT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

planemad

New Around Here
Dear All

First post so please be gentle. I have purchased and have set up 2 x Asus RT-AX92U routers on a mesh system (1 downstair by modem and one upstairs cabled directly to the other router)

My ISP is Virgin Media with a Superhub 3 set to Modem mode. I have quite a lot of experience with the Asus set up as my last Asus set-up lasted me 5 years and the AX92Us were an upgrade.

The problem I have at least twice a day sometime more the internet cuts out at the router and the red WAN light comes on. The VM system appear all ok. To get the internet back I have to reboot the Asus and its ok again for many hours.

I have set the system up using the utility and the IP is set to “automatic IP” and the DHCP query frequency is set to normal.

I have done many total resets and reconfigurations on the set up and have let the asus stabilised first before switching on the VM modem as some similar posts reporting the red WAN light have suggested.

I even swopped over the upstairs mesh unit to become the master and reset it up just incase that was the problem.

Its really come to a head today as my work was affected as I lost connection to an important conference call.

My old Asus RT-N66U never skipped a beat in the 5 years I had it. I really want to persevere with the AX92U as I love the speed and freedom of the mesh.

All connections are tight, firmware is the latest. Same problem existed on the old firmware updating did not solve and I have changed the cable between VM modem and the feed to the Asus.

Do you experts have any suggestions before I throw it out of the window.

Thanks in advance and stay safe.

Dear All

First post so please be gentle. I have purchased and have set up 2 x Asus RT-AX92U routers on a mesh system (1 downstair by modem and one upstairs cabled directly to the other router)

My ISP is Virgin Media with a Superhub 3 set to Modem mode. I have quite a lot of experience with the Asus set up as my last Asus set-up lasted me 5 years and the AX92Us were an upgrade.

The problem I have at least twice a day sometime more the internet cuts out at the router and the red WAN light comes on. The VM system appear all ok. To get the internet back I have to reboot the Asus and its ok again for many hours.

I have set the system up using the utility and the IP is set to “automatic IP” and the DHCP query frequency is set to normal.

I have done many total resets and reconfigurations on the set up and have let the asus stabilised first before switching on the VM modem as some similar posts reporting the red WAN light have suggested.

I even swopped over the upstairs mesh unit to become the master and reset it up just incase that was the problem.

Its really come to a head today as my work was affected as I lost connection to an important conference call.

My old Asus RT-N66U never skipped a beat in the 5 years I had it. I really want to persevere with the AX92U as I love the speed and freedom of the mesh.

All connections are tight, firmware is the latest. Same problem existed on the old firmware updating did not solve and I have changed the cable between VM modem and the feed to the Asus.

Any clues at the time of failure in the router webUI for the Network/WAN Status or in the Log?

If you get desperate work-wise, maybe a short term configuration could be:

N66U router (WiFi off) == 92U (AiMesh AP mode) == 92U (AiMesh node)

OE

Before throw it out of the window sell it on ebay or similar platform.
Problem only on Wifi or LAN too? If Wifi use fix non-DFS channels, disable beamforming and airtime fairness.

Before throw it out of the window sell it on ebay or similar platform.
Problem only on Wifi or LAN too? If Wifi use fix non-DFS channels, disable beamforming and airtime fairness.

Reads like a WAN side issue, not a LAN/WLAN issue.

OE

The compete network goes - both plugged in and WIFI.

What does that means... does it mean no wired client can communicate with another wired client? Does it mean no client can connect to the network? etc. You initially said the Internet/WAN connection was going down. Now you are saying everything goes down. If the latter, reset the router, reconfigure it from scratch, and if it continues to fail, replace it.

OE

What does that means... does it mean no wired client can communicate with another wired client? Does it mean no client can connect to the network? etc. You initially said the Internet/WAN connection was going down. Now you are saying everything goes down. If the latter, reset the router, reconfigure it from scratch, and if it continues to fail, replace it.

OE
I said the RED WAN light was coming on.
To further clarify:
That I cannot use internet on my PC which is hard wired from the back of my router and there is no WIFI. its connected to the WIFI and the SSID still shows but no internet.
With the red wan light on the ISP modem appear working fine with the correct status light on.

I said the RED WAN light was coming on.
To further clarify:
That I cannot use internet on my PC which is hard wired from the back of my router and there is no WIFI. its connected to the WIFI and the SSID still shows but no internet.
With the red wan light on the ISP modem appear working fine with the correct status light on.

So, back to your original problem... your router is losing its WAN/Internet connection and you think the ISP equipment is ok.

Did you look inside the router webUI for some clues?

OE

I have the same issue and it seems like it is common. You will find in the logs errors relating to ring buffer. I am looking for a solution to and I do not believe anyone has found one yet. What seems to work is if you configure the additional router in repeater mode, however, you loose all the mesh facilities such as central management.

Dear All

If set to modem mode (I think you mean modem in bridge mode or modem only mode) possibly your ISP requires to set MAC-cloning on the router. Use WAN MAC of previous router or let ISP reset your line.

Last edited:
I have the same issue and it seems like it is common. You will find in the logs errors relating to ring buffer. I am looking for a solution to and I do not believe anyone has found one yet. What seems to work is if you configure the additional router in repeater mode, however, you loose all the mesh facilities such as central management.

thanks. I have read the threads you have also posted and I believe this is my fault too. really disappointed that ASUS have not responded to this earlier.
I will hold out another month and see for new firmware.

Last edited:
Try and use DHCP query frequency set to aggresive, power off the router. Reboot wan device then power up the router.

I updated yesterday. It seems the latest version is a little more stable and have not observed the ring buffer errors, however, the router does still crash & restart itself as can see from the logs. Also still very noisy with wireless devices joining. Something related to non associated devices I believe could also be the culprit as before a crash see lots of errors relating non-associated devices.

Nothing in the readme regarding any bug fixes in this version:
ASUS RT-AX92U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.8697
1. Update Adaptive QoS categories: Help you to prioritize the mission-critical applications
Those people who work-from-home & learn-from-home will greatly benefit from this new feature with optimized streaming experiences.
New Supported Categories & Apps:
- Video conferencing, including Microsoft Teams®, ZOOM®, Skype®, Google Hangouts®, BlueJeans®
- Online learning, including Khan academy®, Udemy®, Coursera®, TED®, VIPKiD®, 51Talk®, XDF®, Xueersi®
- Streaming, including YouTube®, Netflix®, HBO NOW®, Amazon Prime Video®, Disney+®, ESPN®, MLB.com®, iQIY®
- Indoor training, including Zwift®, Peloton®, Onelap®
Stay tuned and more apps are coming to the list soon!

2. Support Mobile Game Mode and upgrade your RT-AX92U to a Gaming Mesh
- One-click prioritizing your mobile device to the highest and ensure you the best mobile gaming experiences.
- Install/Update ASUS Router App (Android supports later than 1.0.0.5.44; iOS supports later than 1.0.0.5.41)

Same issue.
I thought it was my ISP, but they are 100% nothing at their end.

I bought ZenWifi AX and the issue was gone, however the ZenWifi AX appears to also have issues of it's own!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!