What's new

Asus RT N-66U ethernet OK wirless no internet.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaulSB

Occasional Visitor
I have had this router a couple of years and last night for no apparent reason all my wireless devices lost internet access on both bands, cable connected devices are working fine. To be clear the wifi devices connect to the router but have no internet access.

I have the latest Asus wrt firmware 380.70 running for some time (months) with no problems. I reinstalled the same firmware to see if that would help but have had no success.
Any advice would be appreciated as I am not really a network guy.

Thanks
paul

To be clear, 380.70 is not the latest "Asus" firmware. That was the last and final release from Merlin, who has now dropped support for it.

Regarding your problem; have you tried powering off the router, leaving it for 5 minutes and turning it back on?

To be clear, 380.70 is not the latest "Asus" firmware. That was the last and final release from Merlin, who has now dropped support for it.

Regarding your problem; have you tried powering off the router, leaving it for 5 minutes and turning it back on?
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Yes I left the router disconnected from the power for a couple of hours this afternoon and I can do the same again tonight.
The strange thing is how it was working seamlessly and now its not, is there a possibility of a hardware fault?

is there a possibility of a hardware fault?
This would seem likely if there haven't been any changes to the software.

What do you see on the System Log - Wireless Log page?

Any error messages in the System Log - General Log?

Those old routers have been known to have problems with their power adaptors. As they age the output power becomes marginal leading to inexplicable "strangeness" of the router. That in combination with perhaps an increases in the ambient temperature might push it over the edge. The WiFi chips run a lot hotter than the other chips.

This would seem likely if there haven't been any changes to the software.

What do you see on the System Log - Wireless Log page?

Any error messages in the System Log - General Log?

Those old routers have been known to have problems with their power adaptors. As they age the output power becomes marginal leading to inexplicable "strangeness" of the router. That in combination with perhaps an increases in the ambient temperature might push it over the edge. The WiFi chips run a lot hotter than the other chips.
There is nothing older than Aug 2018 in the general log and the wireless log is attached.
Looks like I will be hitting ebay over the weekend :-(

Attachments

• wirelog.JPG
    wirelog.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 478
Sorry, I can't think what the problem is. As you say, they appear to be connected to the router OK.

Can you ping the router from one of the WiFi clients (i.e. ping 192.168.1.1)?

What about pinging the internet (i.e. ping 8.8.8.8)?

I have had this router a couple of years and last night for no apparent reason all my wireless devices lost internet access on both bands, cable connected devices are working fine. To be clear the wifi devices connect to the router but have no internet access.

I have the latest Asus wrt firmware 380.70 running for some time (months) with no problems. I reinstalled the same firmware to see if that would help but have had no success.
Any advice would be appreciated as I am not really a network guy.

Thanks
paul

I would suggest that the LTS RMerlin fork by john9527 be installed on the router, a full reset to factory defaults be performed and then a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to the ISP. Do not use any saved backup config files. Do not be in a hurry to change the defaults without testing how the router performs first.

Please see my signature below for more details on getting your router to a good/known state.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v39e3.18914/

The above link is for john9527's RMerlin fork. With many bug fixes and offering a current and stable option for older Asus routers.

Sorry, I can't think what the problem is. As you say, they appear to be connected to the router OK.

Can you ping the router from one of the WiFi clients (i.e. ping 192.168.1.1)?

What about pinging the internet (i.e. ping 8.8.8.8)?

for the tips
I could connect to the router admin page over wifi from the devices and could ping internet ip address but not resolved dns names like cisco.com so I started looking at dns.
I added the open dns server addresses 208.67.222.222 and 208.6576.220.220 to the the dhcp server instead or relying on the isp dns and it all sprang into life so it was the dns that was the problem which is strange with the wired internet working and wifi not but it solved my problem.
Thanks for your advice and interest in my problem.
Paul

Thanks for the update Paul. Strange indeed.

I suggest that you try putting those DNS addresses in the WAN settings and not the LAN DHCP settings. The way you have it at the moment means that you cannot use DNS to resolve local host names.

I also have trouble with WiFi on my RT N-66U router. It seems like I can only connect to the 5GHz WiFi and I can't find the 2.4GHz interface. This causes trouble to my laptop but the iPads and phones work OK. I can't find the 2.4 when changing SSID...

UPDATE: I just did a Fctory reset and both WiFi interfaces got up and running!

Last edited: