What's new

Asus rt-n18u connection /load times

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With an new phone (Galaxy s10) the problem is almost gone.
Happened 2 times with watching youtube then switching to whatsapp to text a message(what is not being sent again)
Preformance is overall alot better.

I still dont know why the trendnet accesspoint works much better then the two asus routers in accespoint mode. Maybe they arent ment for being an accesspoint.

The most strange thing is in wifianalyzer(android inssider) the trendnet is configured 40mhz. The wifianalyzer says its 40mhz. I put it to 20mhz it says 20mhz.
With the asus i can force 40mhz 20/40mhz and it always says 20mhz. Is the asus incompatbile with phones or something?

See attached files. My network is: Draadloos Netwerkje

Attachments

• 20201219_183638.jpg
    20201219_183638.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 20201219_183729.jpg
    20201219_183729.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 140
At this moment i am trying a new phone.
It was only my phone that was loading too long after all i think. Although i noticed it at the laptop last night too.

In the picture are the dns settings i copied them from my modem in the rt-n18u / rt-n66u
When you tested the DNS servers from your modem, what was their average response time ?

Tested with your dns program?

Not yet.

I noticed when my wife is at her phone mine gets the problem. Although it looked solved still is not 100%

Maybe the rt-n18u is loco.

Will try the rt-n66u for a while.

Tested with your dns program?

It isn't my application/program but I do use it myself and recommend it to others.

or even to see if they are working ?

A dead nameserver or if it is typed in wrong can cause the problems you describe.
You might even try using different DNS nameservers that you can reach or switch the order in case the second one replies faster than the first.

This are my results. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with my dns server. Also i cannot change this in the gateway.

The rt-n66u seems alot snappier then the rt-n18u while surfing

Attachments

• dns.png
    dns.png
    329 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_20201220-202454_DNS Test.jpg
    Screenshot_20201220-202454_DNS Test.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
This are my results. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with my dns server. Also i cannot change this in the gateway.

The rt-n66u seems alot snappier then the rt-n18u while surfing
That benchmark was only half way done.
After it finished , In the Conclusions tab , did it show that your default DNS name servers were 100% reliable ?
Did it offer any suggestions ?

I noticed when my wife is at her phone mine gets the problem. Although it looked solved still is not 100%
You might be getting an IP address conflict.
Have you checked both phones to see if they are both using different random MAC address ?

I wouldn't have thought of this except a phone that was stolen from me kept turning up in my connections log.
It turned out my son's phone was set to use a random mac address in his network security setting.
It wouldn't always use the same MAC address and would sometimes show up as my old phone.

Is this possible? For a phone to use another (actual) MAC address? :(

Is this possible? For a phone to use another (actual) MAC address? :(
Yes, My motorola G7 does, as well as the one gone missing and my sons Galaxys.
"Use Random M.A.C." is on by default when connecting to WiFi networks.

Attachments

• Motorola_screen_shot.jpg
    Motorola_screen_shot.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 170
But I thought there was only a limited number of MACs they could use (and still, unique to that device)?

But I thought there was only a limited number of MACs they could use (and still, unique to that device)?
It doesn't seem to be 'revolving' around any certain set of preconfigured macs defined in the device.
The prefix numbers don't turn up anything in an OUI search either.
While my experience with random MACs on phones is limited, it is what I have noticed in the last year or so.

If his wife's phone and his phone are both using random macs by default and from the same vendor, possibly the same build lot, it is possible their random mac list might verge when connecting to the same access point.
If it truly was random, a person wouldn't think that would ever happen.
But then at 3 AM one morning I didn't expect my stolen phone to be connecting with enough signal strength to either be in my house or in my driveway.

A stolen phone showing up 'looking' for AP's it can connect to? I would expect that in today's world. I would have also immediately changed the SSID's to the exact opposite of what you were using before.

It was nearly a year from the time it was stolen till it "showed up" again.
It was locked and a google reset was done minutes after realizing it was gone.
It was confirmed to be my sons phone with randomized mac enabled.
But , at 3 AM, I did go looking for it or someone where they shouldn't have been with a .45 .
False alarm.

He complains about not getting ads on his phone, "Google doesn't work right", so I have a rule set in dnsmasq conf to serve his phone with outside nameservers instead my dns blackhole. But it only works when his phone is set to use the devices MAC address, not a random MAC address.

Lol i have random mac adress too. I thought that was an dovce bound nic number. Changed it to divces mac.

I'm now using the rt-n66u again. 5ghz is off. The 2.4ghz antennas from the rt-n18u are on it.
Will test this. Think rt-n18u is bad or running at its limits.

Still a strange thing why an little device like the trendnet is so fast and has no problems.

Can anyone recommend an powerful 2.4ghz accesspoint with antennas? Or can be modded to external antennas.
I cannot find any. Not from the pas 3-4 years. Only old devices. Maybe the asuses dont work well in accespoint mode.

I bought the trendnet based on a test 10years ago. It was the best. I attached an picture

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201221-184759_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-184759_Settings.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot_20201221-185651_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201221-185651_Samsung Internet.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 153
Ok the rt-n66u is also giving me problems. When i look at an ebay like app it first loads all items then when scrolled down the rest doesnt show pictures. Like it was loading and cut off.
This is next to the router.
In the shed its horrible.

But i have 16utp ports through my house and 1 in the shed.
So i'm thinking to consider a mesh utp backhaul system. The network congestion in my neighbourhood is awful. There is wifi on every channel. Not strong but its there

The asus zenwifi has wifi scheduler so i can shut it off at night.

The other thing i can try is set the rt-n18u or rt-n66u in router mode and make my modem a bridge. Dont know if that would make any difference.

At work the wifi on the new phone is fast and stable. So the new phone defenitily help

Edit:

Ok i bought the Asus zenwifi cd6 3 pack.
It's an disaster. Continously disconnecting nodes though are all wired through utp.
5ghz cannot be turned off because it thinks its needed for connection between node and router, while they are connected through utp

One thin i did notice is the main router from the zenwifi also has the same coverage as the n18u and n66u. So external or internal antenna doesn't really make a difference. Internetting and texting through the zenwifi main router at max range feeled alot snappier and faster

Last edited:
I have sort of been waiting for someone else to say this. But , .

Have you done a factory reset on the RT-N66U AND the RT-N18U ?

And taken the switch out as suggested earlier ?

Then configured either one of your ASUS routers from scratch and only enough to check your connection, speed, snappiness or whatever other benchmark you'd like to preform.

When diagnosing a problem , you start at a baseline or known good working configuration making ONLY a single change at a time till the problem shows up , or goes away. Then work from there
Baseline also even means NO QOS (Quality of Service - none ) configured in the router.
After a factory reset or clearing the nvram, configure Just enough to get a secure connection up.
Then make your changes one at a time.

Yeah i tried wiring them without the switch. It doenst help.
I only configure ap mode. Nothing more.
Both routers have been resetted multiple times to factory defaults.

I'm looking at an second hand EAP350 or LAPN300 accesspoints. I prefer only one for the whole area.

The linksys lapn300 has a time scheduler.
But sending and receive powers are totally different and antennas too.

What is the best choice in my situation?

The linksys lapn300 has:
scheduler which i use
2x 1.8dbi antenna
19dbm send power
802.11b @ 11 Mbps: -85 dBm
802.11g @ 54 Mbps: -70 dBm
802.11n @ HT20 MCS7/15: -65 dBm
802.11n @ HT40 MCS7/15: -62 dBm

vs

Engenius eap350:
no scheduler(can use timeclock)
2x 5dbi antenna
23dbm sending power
Receive:
802.11b -98 dBm
802.11g -93 dBm
802.11n -93 dBm

Rt-n66u:
Receive
-95dbm@1M 802.11B?
-75dbm@54M 802.11G?

What would be the best choice here?

the distances are not mentioned for receiving power so i dont know how to interpreted it.

If i'm in the shed or attic. And have 7mbps. Is it still connected at wireless n or b/g?

In my zone all sending power is 100mW or 20dbm. Dont know if it adjusts to that

Edit:
I bought an Linksys LAPN300. Range is ok. Sometimes i get connected at 7mbps but its still fast. Buffering in netflix and youtube while scrolling through videos works great.

Last edited:
Still fiddling with this.
I now have an engenius eap-350 and linksys lapn300 accesspoint for testing.
The lapn300 is here now for 2 weeks. Range is acceptable. Speed is ok.

But last night my wife was at google meets with 60 persons in the living room. I was at the attic watching youtube at my phone with 100mbps wifi connection. It was awful slow. Couldnt scroll loading etc. Later on my wife says when you got up to the attic my google meets was an disaster.
This never happened with the asus ones.

is this because of mimo 3x3 450n asus vs 2x2 300n linksys?

Last edited: