What's new

RT-N18U power plug extension

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I need to extend the power for my Asus RT-N18U.

Do anyone by chance have the right diameters for this?

I want to buy something like this and i need the exact mesuerements...

Unfortunetly no site including thisone: http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-N18U is saying the exact size

Just measure the outer diameter of the plug with an mm ruler (or micrometer if you have one). Preferably buy on amazon so you can return it if something is off but there are only so many sizes and typically the inner hole is pretty standard.

It's the same size as rt-ac68u - 4.0 x 1.35 mm

You better bring the 110V or 230V AC power closer to the router with a power extension cord and plug in the power adapter in the power extension cord, this to avoid a DC voltage drop by extending the other end.

You better bring the 110V or 230V AC power closer to the router with a power extension cord and plug in the power adapter in the power extension cord, this to avoid a DC voltage drop by extending the other end.

The cable they linked to had 1M selected which won't be an issue. Even at 3M it would be fine. If you want to go more than that, it will probably still work even at 10M or more but you will be drawing more current than the adapter is designed for, and operating the router at a lower voltage than it is designed for. The only way to know the exact numbers is through some calculations and knowing the gauge of the wire (or doing some measurements while the router is under load and you have an extension cable in place). In reality if you found a large enough gauge extension you can go long distances. Heck a fairly small gauge HDMI cable can do tens of gigs over 50 feet with minimal packet loss at low DC voltages.

You will experience voltage drop with an extension cord as well, but typically they are higher gauge and the wall wart power supply draws very little current so it won't be nearly as severe. Wall wart can also make up for that to a certain extent with its voltage regulator.

All that being said, they'll probably be fine under 10 meters, but keep it as short as possible. The adapter voltages vary anyway and the router has to be designed to handle some varying tolerances.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!