Asus rt-n18u connection /load times

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Alienbliep

New Around Here
Goodday,

Last week i upgrade my accesspoint from an Trendnet TEW-690AP 450n to Rt-N18U because of range issues.
The range is now perfect. Except the problem that on the 2 phones (only ones) in the house 20-30% of the time when i type in an website or search something already on google it load really long. When i open an new page and do the same thing it works directly. While i am at google.com it wont load an new search entry so it is not an dns issue i think. While de RT-n18u (rt-n66u whithout 5ghz) is in accespoint mode i entered an static ip like my Trendnet so i can easily find it on my network it also asked me for an dns server. But since it is in accespoint mode i don´t think that is necessary. It looks like an timeout problem or something.

The steps i took are:
Find the best possible channel available.
Connect my modem to my switch and the switch to an lan port on the rt-n18u just like the trendnet was.

Is there anybody who can help me? Is it the wmm setting or something. Streaming videos to an tablet goes fine.

Yours,

Stefan

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
On the phones go to the WiFi settings. "Forget" the SSID you are connecting to. Then create a new connection for the SSID.

Alienbliep

New Around Here
Thanks. I will try that.
But i reset all my networks settings on my wifes phone. There is an option in android for it. Will ask if ot helped.
We don't really use a laptop so i dont know if the problem is there too.
Very strange that this better asus router has this problem.
Do i put in an dns server after the static ip adres? The fields are empty because i was assuming the modem did the dns stuff

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Do i put in an dns server after the static ip adres? The fields are empty because i was assuming the modem did the dns stuff
You should either have "Connect to DNS Server automatically" set to Yes, or you should manually enter valid addresses.

Alienbliep

New Around Here
Ok.
I copied the dns from the modem. Strange i thought in ap mode this is handled by the modem.
The rt-n18u also sees every utp connected device in the house. Is this normal? It os in ap mode

Ooh whatsapp messages are also not being sent or with an super delay. In whatsapp i see the ticking clock and it takes 30 seconds or longer before sending

Attachments

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I copied the dns from the modem. Strange i thought in ap mode this is handled by the modem.
You have LAN IP set to automatic therefore you should also set DNS to automatic. The DNS setting is only used by the AP for itself, it doesn't effect the clients.

The rt-n18u also sees every utp connected device in the house. Is this normal? It os in ap mode
Yes.

Ooh whatsapp messages are also not being sent or with an super delay. In whatsapp i see the ticking clock and it takes 30 seconds or longer before sending
Sorry, I don't know anything about whatsapp.

Alienbliep

New Around Here
Sorry wrong picture. I was fiddling with the settings. I attached a new one.

The dns doesnt seem to help

The only thing i changed from stock is the schedule for at night off and beacon interval first to 500ms then 400.... now its 200. For health sake

By the whatsapp i mean there is deffinitly a big lag.

I'm sorry but i dont understand why an simple device works and advanced more expensive one is so complicated and doesnt work

Is there maybe a better firmware?

Attachments

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming as they can cause problems with some clients.

Alienbliep

New Around Here
I've tried above steps. They dont really help. Even youtube cuts out loads 20second en then resumes. I dont know whether its because of no beamforming and out of range or the same problem really.
But this morning google loading was awful long.
I found out that i was not running the latest firmware. Because it wasnt use for some time so i had to update it manually. That also didnt help.

I think that my old trendnet tew-690ap doesnt had al the features that this one has. No beamforming airtime etc etc.

Last edited:

Alienbliep

New Around Here
Ok,

I installed an merlin firmware. hard resetted the router
Changed it to ap mode with my static internal ip adres and subnet mask en dns servers form my modem
Put it at 20mhz channel
Put my schedule back in for at night
Changed the beacon interval back to 200ms

Teh rest of the settings are unchanged
Airtime fairness defaulted to off with merlin
Explicit and universal beamforming defealted to on with merlin

Is 20mhz ok? or is auto 20/40mhz better. we have alot of overlapping channel around us and i don't need the better throughput of 40mhz
What is turboqam? Wit the new merlin f/w i can change from mcs9 turboqam to mcs 7 802.11n

I hope the probem is solved. It's not an bandwith issue because when i am the only one i the house googling something wil also take ages. And i'm next to the asus ap.

Edit:

With the merlin firmware i see i dropped one bar rangewise on every device.
Speeds are also slower.
Next to the router with merlin 110mbps wit stock firmware 192mbps.
At the attic with my phone where the trendnet couldn't reacht with merlin 13mbps with stock firmware 26mbps.
The tablet loads a netflix movie very very long at the attic. This problem was solved when the stock firmware was on it.
Ill try to reload stock firmware and do a hard reset and put all beamforming and airtime to off. I didn't do that after last big firmware update

Last edited:

Alienbliep

New Around Here
Ok. After an hard reset with the latest stock firmware it seems a bit better.
Can it be because im at the attic on my phone and my wife in the living room downstairs next to the rt-n18u on her phone?
Some kind of beamforming problem upstairs?

While i asked her through whatsapp if it's working ok lately she says at this moment not. I'm upstairs shes downstairs. (Yes we also talk normal lol)