What's new

ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I did not have to install the D/L master, Media Server installed (and is working) just fine.

And you could get the Media Server Configuration web page (http://192.168.1.1:8081/mediaserverui/mediaserver.asp) to come up? I just removed the DM and MS, deleted the directories and re-installed MS ver 1.0.0.14, and I couldn't get the config page to load.

Only after re-removing the MS, then install the DM and MS could I get the config page to come up. But! Yes, if you just install MS, it will serve files. Just ALL files it finds on the drive. I personally put my movies, music, etc, in a "/dlna" directory. Hence my need to to get to the config page.

The other thing I've noticed with the minidlna service, is when it creates the album art cache files, they get corrupted. I have to remove the NTFS drive, and run a chkdsk before I can delete them. Then have it re-index it's database and cache files.

As for the other things you've notice. Keep reporting! Hopefully Asus will read these posts an forward them to the appropriate people.

And you could get the Media Server Configuration web page (http://192.168.1.1:8081/mediaserverui/mediaserver.asp) to come up? I just removed the DM and MS, deleted the directories and re-installed MS ver 1.0.0.14, and I couldn't get the config page to load.

Only after re-removing the MS, then install the DM and MS could I get the config page to come up. But! Yes, if you just install MS, it will serve files. Just ALL files it finds on the drive. I personally put my movies, music, etc, in a "/dlna" directory. Hence my need to to get to the config page.

The other thing I've noticed with the minidlna service, is when it creates the album art cache files, they get corrupted. I have to remove the NTFS drive, and run a chkdsk before I can delete them. Then have it re-index it's database and cache files.

As for the other things you've notice. Keep reporting! Hopefully Asus will read these posts an forward them to the appropriate people.

Guz, No I can't get to that page at all? I've tried all permutations of removing and installing both DM and MS, nothing seems to work?

What I did was create a folder in the root, I called it SHARE and then MS shows it. I can create folders in that too. MS does create its own as well and aggregates all files it find and the drive, but still leaves the ones I copy over in the share folder structure. I just use those.

See the screenshot... I looked at my clients list. It found another one this morning, my computer, but with the WRONG IP address? It is NOT my machine (Irv-XPS435) and doesn't exist :

---------------------------------------------------------
c:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b13c:a8a4:d67c:1ce%14
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:3c54:3f61:3f57:fefd
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3c54:3f61:3f57:fefd%10
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter isatap.{B5959CAE-7B41-48BC-A724-353467E72FA3}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

c:\>net name
The syntax of this command is:

NET
[ ACCOUNTS | COMPUTER | CONFIG | CONTINUE | FILE | GROUP | HELP |
HELPMSG | LOCALGROUP | PAUSE | SESSION | SHARE | START |
STATISTICS | STOP | TIME | USE | USER | VIEW ]

c:\>net user

User accounts for \\IRV-XPS435

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Administrator Guest Irv
The command completed successfully.

c:\>ping 192.168.1.19

Pinging 192.168.1.19 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.2: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.19:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

c:\>
--------------------------------------------------------

The flash does to serve its purpose of routing the WAN and LAN though, as well as the MS.

File transfer speeds are only about 100Mbps from a 1Gbps NIC to the USB drive. I'd expect it to be faster, maybe 300Mbps? I think the USB should be 'capable' of 400Mbps, at least theoretically. Transfers to either wireless computer (300 or 270Mbps) is much lower, less that 50Mbps. Lights for the 2 connected/wired systems are ORANGE though, not GREEN. I'm using a filemanager that shows he speed on file transfers. Speed seems the same both ways.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 402
Guz, tried again, removed MS, then installed DM and then MS. Now can get to the page. HELP (?) brings up an older screen picture that doesn't have MS on it and goes into DM help.... bug...

I assume my share still works, can't tell, MS scanning, but I can see the SHARE folder, but not contents now.

...had to re-flash FW 1018i ...

With the new beta (RT-N56U_3.0.0.3_165_20120729.trx) neither USB-modem nor printer were recognized. Tried everything (emptying NVRAM before flashing, reboots, removing USB-modem / printer cable / re-entering into the FW - nothing brought to worki modem and printer...)

Ciao
Gerald

Been using v3.0.0.4.154 for a while now, and wondered about a few things:

1) When selecting the extension channel for wifi, the options are "Upper" and "Lower". They are the wrong way round. If I use channel 1 as my main channel, the only extension channel is 5 (Upper), but the option available is "Lower". I tested with channel 5 as the main, and the "Upper" option selected a lower channel, and "Lower" selected a higher channel.

2) I don't seem to be able to bridge to the RT-N56U from a 3rd-party AP anymore. I always could, but I admit I hadn't had it running since I started using the v3.x.x.x beta firmware. Nothing had changed on the 3rd-party AP, as it had just been switched off with no changes made. It is capable of universal bridging/repeating, as it worked when the N56U was on non-beta firmware.
Any idea what's changed that might affect this?

3) I've asked already but get no reply... is there any possibility of VLAN and guest WiFi being added to the N56U firmware? I always thought it was a glaring omission from the standard firmware, and many cheaper routers have it as standard.

Thanks - otherwise, great firmware. Much better than what ships with it!

I too have had weird things with my old WRT54G working as a bridge/repeater. This firmware, for me, is allowing it to work this time. Weird.

As for Guest WiFi... they have the web page (http://192.168.1.1/Guest_network.asp) but I can't get it to do anything :(

Thanks for the tip regarding guest network. I got access to the Guest WiFi, I understand why it is hidden. When you enable a guest network, SSID name, key, etc. are taken from the Wireless configuration. If you changed any of the values, wireless configuration are change too. This connection must be removed, one must be able to set different SSID and key.

OK, got it to WORK!!!! ASUS 8I now works...

What I did was CLEAR the NVRAM as Guz suggested. Once it was clear I put the router into RESCUE mode by holding the reset button when putting the power back on. I think used 8I as the flash.

Now I did realize I might have found a 'bug' with both 8I and Padavan code (if really based off the ASUS code, no surprise). I had my USB connected to the SECOND USB port. Beta worked that way. When I was reattaching the drive to the router after 8I was up, that sort of made me think and I put it into the FIRST port. Works... hmmm...

If you are interested in seeing what transpired, here is a video -->
http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cljj3v7iC

Irv S.

Ooops.

Just got done downloading a bunch of ISO's via bittorrent on my local computer (uTorrent 3.1.3) and I lost SAMBA share, Media Server, and everything else. I can't Telnet to the router, nor bring up it's web interface.

But, I still have WAN and LAN connectivity :confused: I would like to get a look at the logs to see if there's any glimmer of why.

Try to lower your connections UDP/TCP also turn DHT off that is a BIG consumer of power, you don't need that anyway.

octopus

Aaa, but previous firmwares worked fine with my uTorrent configurations.

The router never did come back. I had to power cycle it this morning, and lost any logs. Which dawned on me, maybe beta versions should put their logs in nonvolatile locations.

I think I'm going to go back to Padavan's firmware till the next revision comes out.

V3.0.0.4_154 misbehavior on an RT-N56U

To the RT-N56U developers,

Here's a strange bug, one that arose under very obvious circumstances encountered by every developer and user. It seems odd that it should have happened to my unit.
I installed V3.0.0.4_154 in an RT-N56U on 10 Aug 12. (The router had been running V1.0.1.8i with wireless security and MAC filters applied to the wireless and firewall ports.) The firmware installation was unremarkable. The web GUI opened normally and put me into a series of initialization windows.

-- The first let me change the web GUI password, which I did.
-- The second allowed me to enter individual SSIDs and security codes for
2.4gHz and 5.0 gHz operation, which I did for all.

When I pressed the button to apply the ensemble of SSID and security codes, the display showed a small rotating icon which locked up after a minute or so. The RT-N56U was hammered. It remained unresponsive after I power-cycled the machine.

baileycircus@stny.rr.com

Great beta

Its early days but my first impression of the beta is good. I followed the usual firmware upgrade procedure (restore factory default settings, disconnect all attached cables, upload firmware via lan cable, clear router related entries in the usb drive) and the firmware loaded up fine. But it through a hissy fit when I updated the WAN details and the gui would load up with some text, no images and nothing 'clickable'. But a power cycle fixed it on its own.

Initially I installed the download master first and started a download. While this was happening I attempted to install the media server it locked up at 99% (waited a good 20 minutes). I just cancelled it, deleted the asusware folder via telnet and reinstalled the media server first followed by the download master, this time all systems were up and running.

My only question is regarding the QOS, in the original firmware I could enable QOS and select 'internet' to enforce surfing priority over p2p. How does this work here?. earlier when I enabled QOS the router would automatically calculate the current internet uplink speed, but here I need to do it manually?. I havent gone through the custom-user mode in detail, but is there a simple way to enforce the same 'internet' priority QOS as earlier?.

My only question is regarding the QOS, in the original firmware I could enable QOS and select 'internet' to enforce surfing priority over p2p. How does this work here?. earlier when I enabled QOS the router would automatically calculate the current internet uplink speed, but here I need to do it manually?. I havent gone through the custom-user mode in detail, but is there a simple way to enforce the same 'internet' priority QOS as earlier?.

With Asuswrt, you have to manually enter your downstream and upstream values. It's usually best to enter a lower value for the upstream (for instance, I use 1.7 MB for my 2 MB upstream).

If you switch to User Defined rules, you will see what rules are applied by default (doing this does NOT change the way QoS works, it merely shows you the web page with the rules). With the default rules, web browsing gets higher priority. Anything NOT classified by a rule (such as P2P traffic) gets the lower priority. If there is no current traffic that would match a higher priority rule, then low priority traffic will get the full bandwidth.

Asus's FAQ gives a more thorough explanation on how QoS works in Asuswrt.

Nice Job

I really like this firmware. The only thing I could recommend would be to lower the ssid (on the gui) down a line because larger names are cut off and continued down below if the ssid is larger then 10 letters it gives you ....... instead of the full name. If it was dropped down a line, you could easily fit larger ssid's.
Also it would be nice to be able to put a name with your mac id and ip address , so that it would be easier to determine what devices are connected.
Other then that, everything seems to be running fine!
Thanks Alot!

Last edited:
With Asuswrt, you have to manually enter your downstream and upstream values. It's usually best to enter a lower value for the upstream (for instance, I use 1.7 MB for my 2 MB upstream).

If you switch to User Defined rules, you will see what rules are applied by default (doing this does NOT change the way QoS works, it merely shows you the web page with the rules). With the default rules, web browsing gets higher priority. Anything NOT classified by a rule (such as P2P traffic) gets the lower priority. If there is no current traffic that would match a higher priority rule, then low priority traffic will get the full bandwidth.

Asus's FAQ gives a more thorough explanation on how QoS works in Asuswrt.

Ah ok, thanks for that. I have one more question, I noticed that once I enable monopoly mode (for the printer) on one laptop, the button disappears and the IP of the currently assigned system is displayed when I access the router through another laptop. The 'help' section says that the connection will automatically time out after 5 min of no activity, is there no way of over-riding this?.
Again I recall that the original firmware allowed me to over-ride the time out by pressing the 'enable monopoly' button. Am I missing something here?.

Also it appears that logging out of the router does not actually log out the user unless the browser is closed (multiple tab session). Any fix for this?.

Slow Reception speeds

Dear all,

I have an issue with this router, which I beg you to help me solve. It is driving me nuts.

Please note that I have upgraded to the latest beta firmware made available in the OP of this thread.

My main issue is the Reception speed (as shown in the Traffic Monitor) is quite 'slow' (at least as compared to the Transmission speed), and it fluctuates quite a bit too. Please allow me to list down some measurements below.

What I have done is connected a 4GB thumb drive at the back of the router, and enabled FTP share on it. I then try and transfer a 250MB zip file to and from this share.

The following are the measurements (rounded off);

-----
1. Wireless (5GHz) connection between PC and Router

Reception: 3MB/s (this number can fluctuate widely from 50KB/s to 4MB/s)
Transmission: 10MB/s (I am happy with this number)

2. Wired connection between PC and Router

Reception: 4MB/s (I have seen some fluctuation with wired also)
Transmission: 12MB/s
-----

As you can see, the reception speed seems to be at least a third of the transmission speed.

Could some good soul please help me understand why this is happening, that is, whether it is normal, and if not, what could be the problem?

Please note that I don't think this has anything to do with the new firmware, as it was happening with stock also, which is the reason why I went hunting for a new firmware.

Thanks so much.

Dear all,

I have an issue with this router, which I beg you to help me solve. It is driving me nuts.

Please note that I have upgraded to the latest beta firmware made available in the OP of this thread.

My main issue is the Reception speed (as shown in the Traffic Monitor) is quite 'slow' (at least as compared to the Transmission speed), and it fluctuates quite a bit too. Please allow me to list down some measurements below.

What I have done is connected a 4GB thumb drive at the back of the router, and enabled FTP share on it. I then try and transfer a 250MB zip file to and from this share.

The following are the measurements (rounded off);

-----
1. Wireless (5GHz) connection between PC and Router

Reception: 3MB/s (this number can fluctuate widely from 50KB/s to 4MB/s)
Transmission: 10MB/s (I am happy with this number)

2. Wired connection between PC and Router

Reception: 4MB/s (I have seen some fluctuation with wired also)
Transmission: 12MB/s
-----

As you can see, the reception speed seems to be at least a third of the transmission speed.

Could some good soul please help me understand why this is happening, that is, whether it is normal, and if not, what could be the problem?

Please note that I don't think this has anything to do with the new firmware, as it was happening with stock also, which is the reason why I went hunting for a new firmware.

Thanks so much.

Ok, I feel somewhat stupid. I just realised that read and write speeds on a thumb drive can vary quite a bit. So to check that, I connected the thumb drive to my mbp, and did the same file copying tests.

Write to thumb drive (similar to the router's Reception speed): 6MB/s
Read from thumb drive (Transmission speed): 17MB/s

A similar 1/3 speed difference.

That said, it is still not clear why the reception speed fluctuates so much. Any possible reason for that will be appreciated.

I plan to conduct similar tests with a USB hard drive, which should have higher read/write rates.

Thanks.

Transfer speed tests continued

As mentioned above, I tried the same tests with a SSD inserted into a USB2 casing.

Wireless 5GHz:
Reception: 7MB/s
Transmission: 11MB/s

I can understand that the transmission rate has reached the max for this router, about 90Mbps, but why is the reception quite low at 56Mbps?

Is there something I can tweak to increase this?

Thanks so much.

Parental Controls / Enable Radio Issues

Good day, first time here and not the most intelligent of when it comes to networks.

Here is my issue (both with the 1.0.1.8i and your beta), I love the features but the enable radio timers do not seem to work well.

I tried the beta (I think you are on the right track) because I have had issues with the Enable Radio not shutting off as scheduled and catching my daughter streaming video from the internet in the middle of the night. A reboot seems to correct the problem.

I have tried to disable individual devices with the beta and it did not work (caught daughter surfing at midnight). So I went back to disabling all of the 2.4G on schedule again. Now I have discovered that the radio isn't turning back on in the morning and when I go into the settings the Enable Radio button is clicked off.

Any ideas?