What's new

ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Using 3.0.0.4.206 firmware, the guest network is at best flaky and at worst a nightmare. If you just enable guest1 on 2.4 or 5gHz, it works OK as long as you don't mind having an open guest. But, not only (as the other poster mentioned) is it true that modifying those parameters actually changes the parameters for the non-guest networks, but it also leaves the AsusGuest ssids active. Even more, messing with guest 2 got it confused enough that I felt like I ought to reboot. At that point, the router had actually lost all its settings. Ugh!! If I had the source code, I am pretty sure I would find that there's a mismatch in the index into a table and/or an SSID table that's too small.

I do not know what the f**k in think Asus, but Padawan not hide the source code. Why is it still just did not copy is beyond my comprehension. And we all works, and soon also added IPv6 :D

I do not know what the frack in think Asus, but Padawan not hide the source code. Why is it still just did not copy is beyond my comprehension. And we all works, and soon also added IPv6 :D

Asus always release the source code of the released version - they do not release the source code of beta versions (which makes sense).

You can in fact already see most of that code by grabbing the GPL sources for the RT-N16/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U - they are all running Asuswrt as well. The only thing missing from these archives is the kernel folder, as Ralink-based routers use a different kernel and build environment than these three. You can possibly get an older version from the DSL-55U GPL archive, which is also Ralink-based AFAIK.

The bits that are not open-sourced (like the wireless driver) is also the same binary-only files used by Padavan, Tomato, etc... Those files are proprietary from the chip manufacturer (Ralink or Broadcom), and these don't provide the source code, except maybe when you sign an NDA and pay a few thousand dollars for the SDK.

I do not know..., but Padawan not hide the source code. Why is it still just did not copy is beyond my comprehension. And we all works, and soon also added IPv6 :D
Well on the other hand, the Padawan code doesn't work for me in a couple of serious ways, has minimal documentation, and nobody who responds to the problem reports. So...I'm glad it works for you. I'd personally rather spend my time making the AsusWRT code work better.

Asus RT-N16 can this firmware be used

am trying to get a good GUI firware for Asus RT-N16 . I have currently the tomato. but find it difficult to setup things.

5Ghz connection cannot find devices on network

when one device connects to router on 5Ghz band, the device cannot find other devices on the netwotk, 2.4Ghz band connection finds no such problem.

Any help or this is a known bug?

Thanks

In the old UI you had the option to set a manual up link speed under WAN > QOS
Is it possible to do this on the BETA? And how does the new beta automatically measures the new up link speed?

--
Chris

Last edited:
Is the beta reliable and stable

Hi

Just one quick question from you guys:

I'm just waiting for my brand new N56U to arrive, but I have read that it does not work with the WD TV Live using the stock firmware. Apparently it only works with the Beta firmware (when using a wired connection from the N56U to the WD TV Live).

My question is: Is the Beta firmware reliable enough or is it a little more shaky than the stock firmware?

I suppose at some point the beta firmware will change to full release and the WD TV Live will be fully functional in the non-beta version, so I guess it's OK from that perspective. :)

Just want to know if I'll have many problems with the beta as I didn't plan to get a brand new router and put beta firmware on it? :(

TIA

Will.

I'm running the 206 beta and it works very well. I use it as main router in a network with about 20-30 clients. I had to do port forwarding for my voip unit which now works perfect (it didn't with my old DIR-655). I have set up a wireless bridge for my neighbor using a NanoStation M5 AP, a ZyXEL bridge and the DIR-655 as AP on his side. No problems at all. I actually bought another used RT-N56u that I will use as AP in the basement.

Well this beta fixes a lot of things with my iPhone, iMessage pushes fine and so does facetime and all notification. I reverted back to stock and they no longer push. This beta is also very stable. I saved the file just in case the final version doesn't work for me I will stay in beta forever.

--
Chris

Thanks guys... I guess that means that it's all pretty good as far as stability is concerned for the basics. That's all I'll be using initially... I really mainly want it for it's performance advantages.... Looks like I'll be setting it up with the Beta firware this weekend and will give it a whirl. :)
Cheers
Will.

Just installed 3.0.0.4.189 and looks like they added a couple small things....

Seems to run well, but there are some minor graphic issues...
On Network Map, Traphic Manager, & USB Applications pages, the information overlaps the bottom Help/Support/Search area that has been added (at bottom).

AiRadar appears on the 5.0 tab, but not on the 2.4 tab (don't know if this is only a 5.0 feature or not).

It would also be nice to have the SSID dropped down a line so that the whole SSID can be read and see more characters (10 characters only show).
Another option that would be nice, is to have the log default to the bottom (most recent events) instead of at the top, so you don't have to scroll down to the bottom to see the most current information (similar to how padavans firmware does).
Also it would be nice to have the option to assign a name to DHCP clients so that you can identify them easier. (currently only allows for MAC ID & IP).

Other than that, seems to be running fine.
Thanks for all the work!
Appreciate it!

Last edited:
Running 3.0.0.4_206 of the FW.
But the Parental control does not seem to work.

Have setup as directed but just doesn't cut the user off the network.

Suggestions?

Client Bridge

I don't know if it is reported or not but there is an issue with Client Bridge and Client Status. My version is 3.0.0.4.206

I have a dd-wrt client bridge. Everything is fine except the "Client Status" page. All computers linked to the bridge are listed with a same name (I should say a same MAC address) that is the MAC of the bridge.

In the list of LAN->DHCP Server->Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list(list limit:32)->Mac, there is a same issue. The computers have a same MAC.

However in the list of System Log->DHCP Leases, the computers have correct Host Names and MACs.

Host Name

BTW, I am unable to use DHCP host names. Is DNS working for DHCP hosts?

Since May 2011 when I bought my RT-N56U, I never make hostname resolve working. Am I missing something?

Just feeding back that I've been using firmware 3.0.0.4.206 and find it stable and a vast improvement on the standard firmware. I've started using parental control to switch off individual ip addresses at certain times, and it works fine.
Thanks!:)

Just feeding back that I've been using firmware 3.0.0.4.206 and find it stable and a vast improvement on the standard firmware. I've started using parental control to switch off individual ip addresses at certain times, and it works fine.
Thanks!:)

Because of the feedback from cp3t3r5 I did some experimenting.
What happens is if the user is connected (like to a website) and the time expires for them they stay connected, and can continue to go everywhere they wish.
If the time expires and they were not connected then they are not allowed on the network.
This is true of an XBOX on the system too.
The plot thickens!!

Thanks cp3t3r5 for the feedback.

New version of AsusWRT available :) 3.0.0.4_253

Just a heads up on this version. It has the latest drivers, but stability is not completely verified. Please use them at your own discretion.