What's new

ASUS RT-N56U beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No answer I take it?

this answer I got:

I do not personally work with the development of our software, but I will be sure to forward this information over to the development team so that they may look into it. I don't know what they are currently working on so an update may already be in progress.

I am not sure the specifics of the netalyzr link you have showed me, but if the servers they use are located in Berkeley and you are overseas, I would expect the delay to be higher than any local test.

Anyways, thank you for the information. We try to provide the best overall quality in the routers we provide and will continue to develop the software to accommodate users' needs.

Regards,
Jeremy T.
ASUS Customer Loyalty

Everyone worrying about the bufferbloat issue, if you want to give Pavadan's firmware a try he has recently added support for the 3.4.x kernel which I believe includes patches to help combat the issue.

https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/source/list

Everyone worrying about the bufferbloat issue, if you want to give Pavadan's firmware a try he has recently added support for the 3.4.x kernel which I believe includes patches to help combat the issue.

https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/source/list

in Linux Kernel 3.3 and above there are patches to fight Bufferbloat. I don´t know if you have to enable codel yourself to use it. But I´m very happy if Kernel 3.4 is used in this Firmware. Can´t wait for Release :)

codel and fq_codel are part of linux 3.5, not 3.4

in Linux Kernel 3.3 and above there are patches to fight Bufferbloat. I don´t know if you have to enable codel yourself to use it. But I´m very happy if Kernel 3.4 is used in this Firmware. Can´t wait for Release :)

Sorry, if you want to muck with fq_codel, it entered the linux kernel as of version 3.5, and was improved several times between 3.6 and present.

Backporting fq_codel to Linux 3.4 is straightforward, however your QoS system would need to be modified to use it.

There are numerous other fixes from 3.3 onward that do help by default. For example, the ethernet device having BQL (byte queue limits) support is helpful - and it doesn't "come with the kernel", it is a few lines of code that need to be added to the device driver of your device if not already present.

We haven't made all that much progress with wifi as yet. The (sadly unfunded) work is commencing later this summer, and will probably
be rather specific to the ath9k chipset initially.

As of a month or so ago, fq_codel became the default in openwrt Barrier Breaker across all interfaces on all the platforms they support. However openwrt are largely working on linux 3.8 and later at present. Some of the results can be seen in the later videos off of this web page.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Bloat-videos

So, it's certainly an easy backport to 3.4, if someone wants to take it on. But I'm curious as to why it is considered needed on this device?

But I'm curious as to why it is considered needed on this device?

It´s the wrong Question :)

Why not on this device? It´s one of the best hardware on the market. it should have the best Software available.

Ok seriously:

My Internet is used very much (wlan and lan) and if I watch all the vids on the net how Codel and so on works - I want to have the best Software available.

I´m also a gamer of xbox 360 and since I changed from a poor DSL line to a very good cable line (very good ping times all the day). I have the feeling the game experience is sometimes much worse than on DSL. My cable Internet is 100 Mbit down and 5 Mbit up. More is not possible but I have it all the time. I know that lag and so on is not only a problem of my connection but also of the connection I connect to. But really strange is, that sometimes only my connection is behind (lags) even if I host the game and even if I´m the only one who use the line (don´t know if you know how xbox live works).

If I test my Bufferbloat on the netalyzr site I got 800 ms upload Bufferbloat. So I upgraded my upload to the max possible (5 Mbit). This decreased the Bufferbloat to 409 ms. But I think this is too much and my Provider don´t answer the Problem. I use a cable Modem (Motorola) and behind it my Asus Router (Direkt on the Modem I have also 409 ms Bufferbloat - with QOS on official Firmware for my Asus Router I can decrease it to 200. So I´m sure it can be decreased more. ). So if see on the netalyzr site that I have Bufferbloat and I know that there is a Solution for this Problem. I want to solve it on my site, I want to do all possible for me to solve the Problems on my line.

Because I can´t use open WRT on the Router I ask for an upgraded Firmware with Kernel 3.3 or above. I hope that I get better performance. I know some people who use open WRT and they all describe how their gaming performance improved - and that host lag is totally gone :)

Sorry for my english

Asus rt-n56u tor support?!

Hello.

My first post in this forum so be nice to me... ;)

I really love the TOR protocol that is implemented in openwrt (gargoyle) and also Tomato I think. Actually I bought two tp-link routers for this option....and also many more. Who can beat the plugins directory on Openwrt?! jeeeessss.... :cool:

Any plans on adding TOR browsing support soon to the ASUS RT-N56U router Would be a huge hit I am sure.

Currently I own two Tp-link TL-WDR4300 with Gargoyle firmware ontop of openwrt. I am very impressed! I hope someday Asus firmwares will be equally impressive.... ;) :)

Reg. Marc,
Sweden

New WRT Firmware

Version 3.0.0.4.374.130
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N56U&p=11&s=2

(Just a heads up)

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.130
Fixed:
1. Fixed AiCloud vulnerability related bugs.
2. Underline "_" can now be acceptable in device name and computer name.
3. Hide Broadcast option in PPTP VPN server when it is disabled.
4. Fixed multicast IPTV related issues in PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP connection.
5. Fixed IE related parental control issues.
6. Fixed 3G dongle related issue.
7. Hide ASUS DDNS description when selecting 3rd party service.
8. Fixed script error 'invalid argument on IE'
9. Fixed smart sync JS error
10. Fixed JST time zone issue.
11. Reduced the redundant packets when used 3G/4G dongle as WAN and opened web browser.
12. Fixed the traffic monitor related issues when used 3G/4G dongle as WAN,
13. Fixed client duplicated issue in network map
14. removed modem setting button in AP mode
15. 2.4Ghz compatibility issue for some specific devices

Added:
1. Auto adjust time zone in internet setup wizard process.
2. PPTP VPN server status GUI
3. Recognized .rmvb files as video format in media server.
4. Show more detail information in USB application install process.
5. Unmount all disks with 1-click

IPv6
1. Fixed PPP IPv6 global address retrieval
2. added DHCP-PD option
3. Added LAN DHCPv6 server
4. Added network status GUI.
5. Added option domain name if available

3G/4G dongles
1. Support Yota LTE dongle LU150
2. Support ZTE LTE dongle MF821
3. Support 3G dongle Q110
4. Support Huawei EC306

Last edited:
Thanks it's working perfectly.

Any chance the Traffic Monitor could be made to display the monthly totals rather than the past 30 days? Say the last 2-6 months or whatever the memory would allow. Similar to DD-WRT for the Linksys WRT54GL

This would help keep track of the bandwidth for those of us with a monthly limit.