What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just picked up this router last night as a replacement for my DLink DIR-655 which has been giving me some headaches lately.

A few questions / requests for recommendations:

..but first, a little about my environment.
- Installed in a fairly large house. Several iPods, and iPhone, Android phone, iPad, Playbook, 2 laptops, PS3, Wii, Tivo, Wifi Blueray player, Windows Home Server, Wifi printer, Apple TV, Netflix.

- Is there any advantage to separating the 2.4 / 5 Ghz channels into two SSID's? or should I leave them the same. Looking for recommendations on wifi configurations.
- Would it be beneficial to introduce the DIR-655 back into the network (off one of the Ethernet ports) and use it to isolate some devices?
- My primary interest is faster Internet surfing, and secondary would be video streaming. Is the QOS configuration valuable for this or should I just leave it at default?
- What would the recommendation be for Wifi security?

Thanks...

I have this router for a few weeks now, with latest firmware 1.0.1.7c and there seem to be a UPNP bug. With UPNP in WAN settings activated, I am not able to do video conferences with iChat on Mac Os X Lion even though UPNP opens the required port. When I put the MacBook in DMZ all works fine. But that shouldn't be a solution. When I disable UPNP in WAN settings it also works fine, but other Clients here in network need UPNP, so that is no solution, too.
My configuration: vdsl-modem - asus as router.
When I use a Fritz 7390 as Router, UPNP with iChat Works fine.

I sent a report to Asus Tech Support a few days ago, but no answers yet.

Has anybody encountered a DNS timeout problem with 1.0.1.7c? It doesn't appear to be widespread as I've only found a handful of discussions in other forums. Asus' support has been slow and unhelpful.

Basically, the router's DNS stops responding but using another DNS works. Rebooting the router can fix the problem temporarily.

C:\Windows\System32>nslookup www.amazon.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.10.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

The same request using an external DNS was successful:

C:\Windows\System32>nslookup www.amazon.com 61.9.194.49
Server: dns-cust.cht.bigpond.net.au.194.9.61.in-addr.arpa
Address: 61.9.194.49

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.amazon.com
Address: 72.21.214.128

After rebooting, the RT-N56U was able to process nslookup requests again. But something was still not right:

C:\Windows\System32>nslookup -debug www.amazon.com
------------
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: response, want recursion, recursion avail.
questions = 1, answers = 1, authority records = 0, additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
1.10.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
ANSWERS:
-> 1.10.168.192.in-addr.arpa
name = my.router
ttl = 10000 (2 hours 46 mins 40 secs)

------------
Server: my.router
Address: 192.168.10.1

------------
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR

QUESTIONS:
www.amazon.com, type = A, class = IN
ANSWERS:
-> www.amazon.com
internet address = 72.21.214.128
ttl = 10000 (2 hours 46 mins 40 secs)

------------
Non-authoritative answer:
------------
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR

QUESTIONS:
www.amazon.com, type = AAAA, class = IN
ANSWERS:
-> Invalid Name at offset 32!
(name truncated?)
Name: www.amazon.com
Address: 72.21.214.128

"Invalid Name at offset 32! (name truncated?)"?

The DNS timeout problem appears to be caused by high traffic volume, e.g. BT.

Asus Support is a disaster .... I mailed them and I tried to register in their support forum, an even this procedure doesn't work ...

Neve ever buy again an Asus!

Last edited:
I have this router for a few weeks now, with latest firmware 1.0.1.7c and there seem to be a UPNP bug. With UPNP in WAN settings activated, I am not able to do video conferences with iChat on Mac Os X Lion even though UPNP opens the required port. When I put the MacBook in DMZ all works fine. But that shouldn't be a solution. When I disable UPNP in WAN settings it also works fine, but other Clients here in network need UPNP, so that is no solution, too.
My configuration: vdsl-modem - asus as router.
When I use a Fritz 7390 as Router, UPNP with iChat Works fine.

Your problem can be a simple networking mistake with devices that are routers and modems. In other words, did you bridge your modem? If you did not do so you have two routers workings with two network domains. If this is the case then of course UPnP can have an issue.

Has anybody encountered a DNS timeout problem with 1.0.1.7c?

I have not, but note that your DNS IP address is not the default address? Did you change it? If not then there is your problem.

... did you bridge your modem? If you did not do so you have two routers workings with two network domains. If this is the case then of course UPnP can have an issue.

My modem is of course bridged, so there aren´t two NAT´s in cascade.

My modem is of course bridged, so there aren´t two NAT´s in cascade.

The router is not UPnP certified, and therefore can possibly have issues. Even some of the firmware updates have been to update UPnP/DLNA server. However, with all the UPnP usage that I create with my Windows systems and applications I have yet to have an issue. However, IIRC, Mac's use NAT-PMP rather than IGD. They [Mac's] actually do not use UPnP at all, and this has been a problem for some, especially for DLNA usage. You have to find software to bridge your connection to the router for DLNA and even UPnP. I could be easily wrong, but I think this might give you some insight.

Re DNS
I override the ISP's DNSes and I tell my router to use
and

One problem about this router is the inability to disable the DNS relay function. A recent firmware has allowed the ability to place two (before just one, IIRC) address which supersedes the provided DNS relay address. You can enter the DNS information within the TCP configurations of course, but it would be better to configure as desired at the router level, IMO.

Yes, it was an intended change.
The issue can be between your ISP and the DNS relay server of the router. This was a problem with some of the DLink routers which caused time outs on look ups. Once this was disabled it would not be an issue at all. However, you cannot disable this function with this router. But you can bypass it, of course with protocol configurations.

So, the look ups seem to be symptomatic only when there is BT usage or extensive network usage? It could very well be a bug that causes the router to T/O with DNS look ups due to heavy I/O.

Last edited:
The router is not UPnP certified, and therefore can possibly have issues. Even some of the firmware updates have been to update UPnP/DLNA server. However, with all the UPnP usage that I create with my Windows systems and applications I have yet to have an issue. However, IIRC, Mac's use NAT-PMP rather than IGD. They [Mac's] actually do not use UPnP at all, and this has been a problem for some, especially for DLNA usage. You have to find software to bridge your connection to the router for DLNA and even UPnP. I could be easily wrong, but I think this might give you

... i think you are completely wrong. This router is UPNP certified. And we don't talk about UPNP DLNA but UPNP Port Mappings. Btw.: Macs do support UPNP ... Skype and iChat are both taking use of UPNP. I did some UPNP protocoling with a windows machine .... and I can see those needed ports be opend and closed when using Skype or iChat on the Macs.

... i think you are completely wrong. This router is UPNP certified. And we don't talk about UPNP DLNA but UPNP Port Mappings. Btw.: Macs do support UPNP ... Skype and iChat are both taking use of UPNP. I did some UPNP protocoling with a windows machine .... and I can see those needed ports be opend and closed when using Skype or iChat on the Macs

The router is not certified for UPnP (although, it could be a private certification and not listed) and DLNA. Look it up if you do not believe me. It would be easier to prove me wrong than to think that I am wrong. Besides, I would rather be corrected than accused. So I can, at least, correct myself.

I know exactly that you are talking about: "punching a hole" using UPnP. However, Mac's do not support UPnP. They support NAT-PMP, but this does not mean that an application cannot have UPnP support and therefore be used to allow UPnP communication with the gateway device. Look it up again if you do not believe me. You will see many applications that use UPnP for Mac's but within the OS there is no support for UPnP as how there is with Windows.

Last edited:
Indeed Mac Os X has no explicit UPNP Support, but as you said: there are a lot of applications that do make use of UPNP, and it works ... if you have a router that does support UPNP. I am not interested in those phrases "not UPNP certified". There is this UPNP function implemented in Asus routers, so they should do it right. Is a physician for internal medicine be allowed to misinterpret an ECG because of the fact that he is not a cardiologist?

Indeed Mac Os X has no explicit UPNP Support, but as you said: there are a lot of applications that do make use of UPNP, and it works ... if you have a router that does support UPNP. I am not interested in those phrases "not UPNP certified".

You should be, because there is a big difference between being certified capable, and the not being certified COMPATIBLE. Compatible means it may or may not always work. Hince, the issues some have with DLNA and UPnP. You are not the first user posting about UPnP issues. Some PS3 users have posted failing the UPnP test. I never had an issue with my XBox360 though for UPnP AV functions.

There is this UPNP function implemented in Asus routers, so they should do it right. Is a physician for internal medicine be allowed to misinterpret an ECG because of the fact that he is not a cardiologist?

Yes, there is UPnP function with, IIRC, miniDLNA (which aims to be compliant). MiniDLNA uses miniUPnP code. Recently, NATPMP was implemented in miniUPNP and therefore may be added to the code later. They changed the UPnP code a while back dropping something for miniDLNA, IIRC.

Actually-using your logic for your rebuttal-is exactly what I am talking about. Not, all doctors read an ECG like a cardiologist. Ask anyone with Wolffe-Parkinson-White syndrome. Many miss that delta or not even a clue what WPW syndrome is. They will think your issue is elsewhere. This is why you MAKE SURE they are capable, not compatible.

http://www.dlna.org/industry/certification/faq/

New firmware up: 1.0.1.7f

Firmware version 1.0.1.7f is now available for download. Here is the change log.

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 1.0.1.7f
1. add GUI site survey feature on WDS page
2. add GUI usb modem pin code code setting
3. add GUI VPN passthrough page
4. add GUI automatic LAN DHCP pool range adjustment ot match current netmask
5. restore GUI wireless authentication WPA-Auto-Enterprise option
6. fix 2TB+ usb storage support
7. fix LAN to WAN filter cross midnight issue
8. fix AiDisk permission and dos attributes issues

Firmware version 1.0.1.7f is now available for download. Here is the change log.

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 1.0.1.7f
1. add GUI site survey feature on WDS page
2. add GUI usb modem pin code code setting
3. add GUI VPN passthrough page
4. add GUI automatic LAN DHCP pool range adjustment ot match current netmask
5. restore GUI wireless authentication WPA-Auto-Enterprise option
6. fix 2TB+ usb storage support
7. fix LAN to WAN filter cross midnight issue
8. fix AiDisk permission and dos attributes issues

Is this for USA distribution?

Thanks!

Jim

So, the look ups seem to be symptomatic only when there is BT usage or extensive network usage? It could very well be a bug that causes the router to T/O with DNS look ups due to heavy I/O.

I suspect that might be the case as I have had no problems for almost 4 days now since downgrading from 1.0.1.7c to 1.0.1.4o. The release notes for 1.0.1.7.c did mention quite a few changes related to DNS handling.

I have a N56U being delivered tomorrow.

I've read this complete thread to try and determine which firmware is the most stable with the fewest bugs. Can anyone share their thoughts on the best firmware to run on for a home system that is used for work (VPN), surfing and streaming audio?

I'm also considering joining one of the services so I can stream movies too.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

Is this for USA distribution?

Yes

I've read this complete thread to try and determine which firmware is the most stable with the fewest bugs. Can anyone share their thoughts on the best firmware to run on for a home system that is used for work (VPN), surfing and streaming audio?

You may or may not have issues with VPN on any of the firmwares, so I would use the most recent.

I suspect that might be the case as I have had no problems for almost 4 days now since downgrading from 1.0.1.7c to 1.0.1.4o. The release notes for 1.0.1.7.c did mention quite a few changes related to DNS handling.

Curious, do you have QoS enabled?

Security hole?

This page is accessible without needing to login.
http://192.168.1.1/QIS_wizard.htm?flag=detect

Has not this been a problem for a few firmwares? Perhaps, it was never fixed? But I do recall a security fix within the GUI and web pages. However, it may not have been that one. I wish companies were like Google paying us for findings of bugs when it comes to the Chrome browser.

Does anyone know how to determine the WAN MAC address on this router? Also, I tried to clone /spoof the WAN MAC address of my FIOS router onto the RT-N56U on the Special Requirements WAN MAC entry, but it does not seem to work. Does anyone know how to get the cloning/spoofing to work?