What's new

Asus RT-N56U stuck in recovery mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrismsales

Occasional Visitor
I've searched and found a couple of older threads but still having issues with an older RT-N56U I'm trying to set up as a second router for an AiMesh system. I've tried the 30-30-30 reset with no luck and even plugging my laptop directly into the LAN instead of WAN to reinstall the firmware. No matter what I try, I can't get to where the Asus Discovery Utility will see the router so I can install the new firmware.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to fix?

How have you determined that it is in recovery mode?
The power button is blinking blue very slowly. When looking on online at Ausus support it shows a firmware restoration utility to run but it's not available to download on their website. The only files I've been able to find for download are the firmware and then a device discovery utility.

Can you ping the router at 192.168.1.1 from your PC?
No, no connection. I think I might have it now. I had to download the Windows 8.1 64 bit version of the rescue utility instead of the Windows 10 that my laptop runs. It seems to be allowing me to upload the latest firmware now to the router.

Thanks for your assistance.