What's new

ASUS RT-N66 web interface is broken: no images loaded

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had the same problem when I bought a RT-AC66U a few months ago.

The problem diappeared when I entered the router's IP address in a white list in ESET NOD32, and also in a white list for Java script (accessed through Windows Control panel).

I'm not sure if white listing in Java will help you in this case, but I mention it just in case it helps you or someone else in future.

PolarBear

Tried a few things now:
* FF, IE and chrome, no difference :(
* Added router IP to Avast exluction list (white list), didn't help :(
* Uninstalled Avast, didn't help :(

I've been avioding the factory reset procedure, but I'll guess that is the next step....??

In every case I've seen, this is caused by a user input field (client names, passwords, usernames, SSIDs) containing special characters (single quotes, double quotes, dollar sign, brackets, etc). They should only use alphanumerics, dash and underscore.

If you are comfortable with the Linux command prompt, you can find and edit them in nvram via telnet/ssh. Or do a factory reset, then enter them without any of the special characters. Merlin's next release has additional checking to make sure you can't enter them thru the gui.

Last edited:
Also tried Safari, same result (or lack of result..).

john9572 - I have only alfanumeric signs and underscore in my settings. But one device har brackets (i.e [] ) in it's name. But it has not cause any problems during over one year I have had that device.

I am not really experienced with telnet, so unless there is a nice and easy guide to follow I guess that factory reset is the (only) way forward right now.

Also tried Safari, same result (or lack of result..).

john9572 - I have only alfanumeric signs and underscore in my settings. But one device har brackets (i.e [] ) in it's name. But it has not cause any problems during over one year I have had that device.

I am not really experienced with telnet, so unless there is a nice and easy guide to follow I guess that factory reset is the (only) way forward right now.
There is one other possibility. There has been trouble in the past with some ASUS translation updates and the extended language characters (French comes to mind...maybe something similar is happening with your preferred language) . If you can telnet into the router and enter

nvram set preferred_lang=EN
nvram commit

which will change the language to English and see if it helps. (refresh the web page after the change)

Good news is that i managed to change language :)

Bad news is - same result but in English :/

2yngpvo.jpg

Then it has to be a bad character somewhere....sure there is nothing like

John's PC

anywhere?

Next question - do I need to do a factory reset or can I do some kind of "config database" reset and stay on the merlin installation that is installed?

Then it has to be a bad character somewhere....sure there is nothing like

John's PC

anywhere?

Something may have happened to the network when I installed a new TV 14 days ago. A new Panasonic LED, but it's network name is ok. All other devices only uses allowed characters as well. Very strange...

Next question - do I need to do a factory reset or can I do some kind of "config database" reset and stay on the merlin installation that is installed?

When you do a reset to factory defaults... the installed version you initiated it on is what is restored to defaults. Not the firmware you originally bought the router with.

To be sure it is not an issue with miscellaneous settings conflicting,
Remove all USB devices from the router.
Reboot the router and wait 5 minutes for it to fully boot up.
Reset to factory defaults and do a hard reboot (pull the power plug for a minute or more, then boot it up again),
Do a minimal configuration and flash to the same version of firmware you have loaded now (I would ensure the checksum match the file you downloaded).
After another hard reboot, I would manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.
Reboot once more.

At this point, you should be 100% certain that the firmware is installed, configured and initialized properly.

When you do a reset to factory defaults... the installed version you initiated it on is what is restored to defaults. Not the firmware you originally bought the router with.

To be sure it is not an issue with miscellaneous settings conflicting,
Remove all USB devices from the router.
Reboot the router and wait 5 minutes for it to fully boot up.
Reset to factory defaults and do a hard reboot (pull the power plug for a minute or more, then boot it up again),
Do a minimal configuration and flash to the same version of firmware you have loaded now (I would ensure the checksum match the file you downloaded).
After another hard reboot, I would manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.
Reboot once more.

At this point, you should be 100% certain that the firmware is installed, configured and initialized properly.

Can I do a "nvram reset" via telnet or should I use the reset-button procedure?

Open your web browser's error console, you'll see which line is causing the Javascript to fail.

Problem may be located. I have a network printer (nätverksskrivare in Swedish), I have named that device using a Swedish letter 'ä'.

Is that character killing the whole GUI...?

From error console in FF:
state.js, line 110:
decodeURIComponent('%3CR7121%3E78%3A8C%3A54%3A27%3A54%3A7C%3E0%3E0%3E%3E%3CMagnus%2Dtelefon%3EEC%3A35%3A86%3A1D%3A5E%3AF0%3E0%3E0%3E%3E%3CMagnus%2DiPad%3EA8%3A5B%3A78%3A00%3A0F%3A89%3E0%3E10%3E%3E%3CPARADISETNAS%3E00%3A11%3A32%3A1A%3A64%3AFE%3E0%3E4%3E%3E%3CAnnelis%20jobbdator%3E48%3A51%3AB7%3A00%3A26%3A39%3E0%3E0%3E%3E%3CTV%2055%22%20Panasonic%3E20%3AC6%3AEB%3AB6%3A79%3A69%3E0%3E15%3E%3E%3CSamsung%20n%FFFFFFC3%FFFFFFA4tskrivare%3E30%3ACD%3AA7%3A93%3AB0%3A97%3E0%3E18%3E%3E').replace(/&#62/g, ">").replace(/&#60/g, "<").split('<').forEach(function(element, index){

Last edited:
The names are stored in nvram. The name of the variable you need to edit is custom_clientlist.
Telnet/ssh to the router and

nvram get custom_clientlist
cut and past the results to a command line starting with
nvram set custom_clientlist="
and edit out the offending character, end the line with another " and hit enter
then
nvram commit

It will make sense once you start doing it.

Or....you can do
nvram set custom_clientlist=
nvram commit

and re-enter your names through the gui

Problem solved. Wow, the help I got from John and Merlin. Thanks!

The problem had two parts:

1) the Panasonic tv was named [... 55" ...] and
2) the network printer had the Swedish letter [ä] in it.

First, I removed the ["] from the TV name. Still not loading the GUI. So I removed the [ä] as well. Now it works again.

And I have learned to putty my router. Great!

Again: Thanks @john9257 and @RMerlin for cracking the problem.

Problem partly solved. The client list is not populated and the WAN info on network map page is not populated.

I'll get back later with more info.

upload_2015-7-11_11-47-2.png

Same procedure.....look at the browser console. You may also have to perform the same editing on nvram variable
dhcp_staticlist
if you used the same names as assigned IPs

I found that the Network printer was in the static dhcp list as well. I managed to remove the illegal character there, and now the GUI seems ok again :)

Same problem, solved by disabling the Kaspersky Antivirus 10.1.0.867 (a) on the station while doing the settings.