What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using .102 now, and everything appears to be working well. Will continue to monitor and report any adverse findings.

Thanks...

Using .102 now, and everything appears to be working well. Will continue to monitor and report any adverse findings.

Thanks...

Same here, no problems. Also several grammatical errors were corrected, i.e enabled is now enable, LOL...

My report to Asus

Here is my report to Asus
Hi i got hold of the .102 firmware and have done some testing.
1. The usb led on the router now works.
2. The dhcp works.
3. I have found that the dns/loopback disconnect seems only to apply to my ipcams they are Dlink dcs-2121 firmware 2.05. And if i turn off samba sharing on the usb drive and reboot the router, It works ! I can have dlna and ftp server on and it works. So there is something with Samba sharing from usb connected to the router that doesn`t work with my Ipcams and i have 2.
4. Other servers like my nas and off router ftp there is no problem with Samba dlna and ftp services turned on.
5. I haven`t found any other problem than with samba and the ipcams. Important !! rebooting the router after turning of samba is the key to get it to work.
/Mrcom

Here is my report to Asus
Hi i got hold of the .102 firmware and have done some testing.
1. The usb led on the router now works.
2. The dhcp works.
3. I have found that the dns/loopback disconnect seems only to apply to my ipcams they are Dlink dcs-2121 firmware 2.05. And if i turn off samba sharing on the usb drive and reboot the router, It works ! I can have dlna and ftp server on and it works. So there is something with Samba sharing from usb connected to the router that doesn`t work with my Ipcams and i have 2.
4. Other servers like my nas and off router ftp there is no problem with Samba dlna and ftp services turned on.
5. I haven`t found any other problem than with samba and the ipcams. Important !! rebooting the router after turning of samba is the key to get it to work.
/Mrcom

Great job on the testing. I too had samba sharing on with USB. Turning samba off works with nat loopback and port fwd fix with .102

Has anyone tested Radius authentication (WPA/WPA2 Enterprise) with the stock firmware? I can't get it to work with .100 or .102 - while my Radius server information is definitely correct, my clients never authenticate correctly and are never allowed on the network. After loading tomatousb using recovery mode (shibby, 083) Radius authentication works fine ...

The following is Asus' recommendation on what would be a safe setting for the transmit power:

For the NA region, the maximum is 500mW. For the EU region, the maximum is 100mW. About 80-120 mW is generally sufficient for most networking environments. Please note that higher mW may cause a decrease in the quality of the signal.

Great news regarding the feedback surrounding your experience with the fixes deployed in fw xxxxxx102 guys!
I am looking forward to trying it as well.

My second RT-N66U (as a long-term backup) was shipped the day I ordered it (yesterday). It will take a while to get to me (I selected UPS Ground since I obviously don't need it quickly and the warehouse is on the opposite side of the country), but I am not going to unpack it.
I figure even if I never end up needing the replacement (which is quite likely), with any luck it might become a collectible one day (especially if still sealed) and not have been wasted insurance money.
I may also still just end up selling it at some point long before then though. We shall see. One of those things I am undecided about...

Anyway, I will post my experiences after trying fw xxxxxx102
I have contacted Asus about the TX power, just to get their feedback.
I will share any useful details here once I hear back from them.

Last edited:
The following is Asus' recommendation on what would be a safe setting for the transmit power:

For the NA region, the maximum is 500mW. For the EU region, the maximum is 100mW. About 80-120 mW is generally sufficient for most networking environments. Please note that higher mW may cause a decrease in the quality of the signal.

Thanks! I missed this before my last post (which was intended to be about the feedack fw 102 anyway)

So, I guess the implication is that 500mW is apparently seen (by Asus) is actually safe or they would not allow the setting in the first place, presumably at least of course (going by the assumption they don't want returns)...

I know other networking devices have high power settings (Alfa networking, Ubiquiti and Amped Wireless etc.):
500mW Alfa example:
http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11100&page=2
Someone notes running it at 500mW for "quite a few hours" without extra heat.

Obviously, as noted already in this thread, your post and elsewhere, setting it too high can actually have a detrimental effect on wifi performance (if it increases noise / decreases signal QUALITY [not referring to signal strength but noise] too much etc.)

Some interesting test results here:
http://tomatousb.org/tut:increasing-wrt54g-transmit-power

From the Asus Vip support the new FW 102 received, who would like to have it

Hallo Leute

Hab vom Asus Vip support die Neue FW 102 erhalten , wer sie haben möchte www.mydrive.ch

User :rtn66u@bigmag
Pss:rtn66u
der zugang bleibt 24 Stunden offen

:eek: entrance is closed starting from 20 o'clock :eek:

Connected clients

Updated to .102 from .100, both have been stable so far but, i'm having weird issue with both firmwares that wasn't that before. In the Connected Clients list, its seems always refreshing but only finds the clients present at the time the router rebooted. I wanted to add another client to static HDCP and never see it on that list. i remember before would have 16-18 sometimes 20 clients, now no matter how many clients i have, always shows only the ones connected when router restarted. Also, the clients would have names listed, right now all i see refresh icon going and going. Doesnt seem to affect anything, all the clients not listed work..Anyone seem this?

Last edited:

Thanks...
Hi,
May I ask where the .102 f/w is located? I'd like to try it B4 trying Tomato, TIA.

Updated to .102 from .100, both have been stable so far but, i'm having weird issue with both firmwares that wasn't that before. In the Connected Clients list, its seems always refreshing but only finds the clients present at the time the router rebooted. I wanted to add another client to static HDCP and never see it on that list. i remember before would have 16-18 sometimes 20 clients, now no matter how many clients i have, always shows only the ones connected when router restarted. Also, the clients would have names listed, right now all i see refresh icon going and going. Doesnt seem to affect anything, all the clients not listed work..Anyone seem this?

Hi i tested with a computer that hasn`t been on for a week but connected by cat.6 wire. I have flashed the router several times and that computer was never turned on. I turned it on then after it booted up i hit the refresh button in the network map. It was found instantly then i checked the dhcp and portforwarding it was in the droplist with the computername. So i can`t confirm your problem! Mayby its wifi computers thats affected??

Status
Not open for further replies.