What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.5517

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

with failback implemented - thought I'd be golden - not so much..

Seeing the release notes with this newest firmware - I thought I was going to be golden with my preferred setup -

Dual Wan On - USB as primary (rooted android with unlimited Verizon) and WAN as secondary (satellite with no data caps from midnight to 5am)

My plan was to utilize the secondary WAN most of the time unless I needed to do a large daytime download - I would then plug in my phone - the failback would pop back to primary and when I disconnected the phone later - it'd drop back to the secondary WAN (satellite).

But....since the update I can not get USB tether to work. I'm using the exact same phone as pre-update when it all worked (except of course auto failback - which required my physically unplugging ethernet cables to get it to switch over).

I've done factory reset after update. I've gone through setup from start to finish. I've tried single WAN with only the phone. None of it works.

Anyone else having USB tether issues with this new update. Anyone getting failover and failback working correctly?

But....since the update I can not get USB tether to work. I'm using the exact same phone as pre-update when it all worked (except of course auto failback - which required my physically unplugging ethernet cables to get it to switch over).

I've done factory reset after update. I've gone through setup from start to finish. I've tried single WAN with only the phone. None of it works.

Anyone else having USB tether issues with this new update. Anyone getting failover and failback working correctly?

Same problem here.

I use a LTE USB modem for primary WAN, after updating to 3.0.0.4.374.5517, the USB dongle wasn't able to connect.

I've tried restarting, resetting factory default and redoing the setup from scratch, nothing worked. Problem occurred on both my RT-N16 and a RT-N66U I borrowed.

Reverting to previous version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 had the USB modem working again immediately.

Same for me.

I have used Huawei e1820 since firmeware 3.0.0.4.276 with no problems but with this firmware 3.0.0.4.374.5517 it doesn't connect after router reboot.

It does connect though when I disconnect and reconnect the e1820 USB-port without rebooting the router.

.276 has removed from the Asus website.
Is that a sign for the end of the world in 30 days?
I agree with Asus to remove older firmware versions, they should even go on and remove all the older versions with know security issues.

Last edited:
HI new here!

I updated to 5517 from 90! Only use it for a Nokia N8:)

Connection on and off most of the time, reset properly with wps buttom diden't help, reverted back to 4561 and the yellow blinking thing returned, but still diden't work.
Selected only N and 20mhz and now it look like it works!

EDIT: I was too optimistic, after being more stable for a while it stoped working. When I log in the router it starts to work, but stop a while after I have loged out! I dosen't work on my laptop either. It is early hardware, can it be broken? I can hope on new firmware, but it looks like it is moving in the wrong direction.
I am getting a new subscription with data(2GB) monday so I am not that dependent on it, so I will rather wait than try merlins firmware for now. Hope I at least I can connet my laptop though my Nokia N8 for the holydays.

Last edited:
Asus needs to go back to a SDK5 wireless driver for this router cause the SDK6 driver stinks badly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Asus needs to go back to a SDK5 wireless driver for this router cause the SDK6 driver stinks badly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strange , I've got a great connection with latest Merlin FW , no drops , great transfer rates in the 8-10 MBPS range , connection rate 243 Mbps on my Intel 6200 and 270 -300 on my AC`1200 edimax client . Been up 4 days straight .
N 66 B.1

Let it rest already. SDK5 is a dead end and no longer maintained by Broadcom. It has no PPPoE HW acceleration which makes it unusable for fast PPPoE connections, it has compatibility issues with various recent devices, and also has wifi compatibility issues with XBox. Where you around back when Asus made the switch from SDK5 to SDK6? They did so for many good reasons, as confirmed by the tons of complains the SDK5 drivers was generating at the time.

It's like asking for PC manufacturers to keep preinstalling WinXP on PCs they sell because you run a specific application that won't work under Win7. The big picture is far broader than this.

If the RT-N66U doesn't suit your particular needs, then you need to look at an alternative router or firmware. Asus won't sacrifice functionality with a large array of users just because a very small subset are negatively impacted.

Strange , I've got a great connection with latest Merlin FW , no drops , great transfer rates in the 8-10 MBPS range , connection rate 243 Mbps on my Intel 6200 and 270 -300 on my AC`1200 edimax client . Been up 4 days straight .
N 66 B.1

I'm going through an inner wall and a concrete wall to my chrome cast on the patio and the signal is very weak 1 to 2 bars. With .276 which is a SDK5 driver I was getting 4 to 5 bars. Drastic difference enough to tell Asus their SDK6 driver is not made for this router.

Let it rest already. SDK5 is a dead end and no longer maintained by Broadcom. It has no PPPoE HW acceleration which makes it unusable for fast PPPoE connections, it has compatibility issues with various recent devices, and also has wifi compatibility issues with XBox. Where you around back when Asus made the switch from SDK5 to SDK6? They did so for many good reasons, as confirmed by the tons of complains the SDK5 drivers was generating at the time.

It's like asking for PC manufacturers to keep preinstalling WinXP on PCs they sell because you run a specific application that won't work under Win7. The big picture is far broader than this.

If the RT-N66U doesn't suit your particular needs, then you need to look at an alternative router or firmware. Asus won't sacrifice functionality with a large array of users just because a very small subset are negatively impacted.

My Xbox 360's worked flawless with the .276 SDK5 driver. When they went to the SDK6 driver the signal was so weak my kids couldn't even connect to Xbox live at times. It's all good though as I will always have .276 on pen drive and loaded onto my RT-N66U. Thanks for your input Merlin.

Media Server not working since firmware update

Since upgrading to new firmware my DLNA dvd player will not see the Media server from router, Also the word Video is mis-spelled on the Shared content types: Video is spelled Vedio Any chance this is why media server doesn't work and show up on my dlna devices ??

Worked great till upgrade anybody else have this issue ??

Thanks!
Hippie

I have solved my issue with unstable signal, I move the middle antenna to the side(only using two) and now it works! Really relieved:)

I have solved my issue with unstable signal, I move the middle antenna to the side(only using two) and now it works! Really relieved:)
Do you say you completely disconnected the middle antenna?
Or did you flip it over, laying flat behind the router.

Guess not.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

There's no Asus representative on this forum, so nobody can actually answer that question.