What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1071

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am currently running .276 but would be interested to see the comparisons between .270 .276 and Merlins 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5. There is also Merlins EM builds that could be thrown into the mix, although there seems to be a bit of confusion atm as to which versions of merlins firmware actually have the EM driver committed.

I am currently running .276 but would be interested to see the comparisons between .270 .276 and Merlins 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5. There is also Merlins EM builds that could be thrown into the mix, although there seems to be a bit of confusion atm as to which versions of merlins firmware actually have the EM driver committed.
Feel free to take some time and go through the different firmware versions :)
To my knowledge the current Merlin builds for RT-N66U all use the SDK6 drivers in engineering mode (initially these were experimental builds).

Feel free to take some time and go through the different firmware versions :)
To my knowledge the current Merlin builds for RT-N66U all use the SDK6 drivers in engineering mode (initially these were experimental builds).
Merlin seems to think his last few builds don't include the EM feature.

Based on my saved EM build firmwares, 39-em to 40-43 has all the same em wireless drivers. I've seen a note in github or maybe it doesn't mean anything but 43 appears to be the last firmware to have the EM drivers.

For me, this firmware has unacceptable 2,4GHz performance. Merlin's firmware is alot better, but only Tomato by Shibby with the SDK 5.110 driver is as good as it used to be - before the SDK 6 BS.

And yes, Tomato gives you the newest security updates to go with the performance from the SDK 5 driver. If it wasn't for Tomato, at least I would buy another router now.

5GHz has high throughput on all three firmwares mentioned even though SDK 5.110 shows the best RSSI.

Edit: Merlin's firmware seems to be the best for both frequencies actually, even though it shows less RSSI than SDK 5.110. Oh well...

Last edited:
Seems Asus has been having issues with the FCC for some time. Remember the lawsuit filed by Netgear that is about the time they started using the sdk6 driver on the N66U. Of course that was suppose to be to correct connection issues that at least for me never had.

Now i have the AC68U and the new Asus release has dropped that signal down as well. Guess i will stick with Merlin 43_2 on the 68U and 374_4 sdk5 for my N66U.

Asus messed up a perfectly fine router with this SDK6 driver. I'm running Merlin's SDK5 firmware and I'm getting -15dbm better range than any firmware with a SDK6 driver.

Tried this firmware again and noticed my AC adapters are only showing up at 300Mbps. With any other firmware they show up at 450Mbps. What could be causing this with this firmware?

Asus messed up a perfectly fine router with this SDK6 driver. I'm running Merlin's SDK5 firmware and I'm getting -15dbm better range than any firmware with a SDK6 driver.

I have settled on 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 for now as for me it is the best.

Briefly tested toastman tomato and my 5GHz was showing about -30dbm compared to merlin at -45dbm and stock at -55dbm.

May load toastman or shibby again to test further. I wish someone building firmware would go back to the 5.100.138.20 driver as I feel that is the best driver for the RT-N66U. The 5.110 driver causes me issues just like any sdk6 driver does.

I tried compiling the sdk5100 but it is a mess. Almost had it compiled but got tired of fixing lines of missing code so gave up.

I have settled on 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 for now as for me it is the best.

Briefly tested toastman tomato and my 5GHz was showing about -30dbm compared to merlin at -45dbm and stock at -55dbm.

May load toastman or shibby again to test further. I wish someone building firmware would go back to the 5.100.138.20 driver as I feel that is the best driver for the RT-N66U. The 5.110 driver causes me issues just like any sdk6 driver does.

I tried compiling the sdk5100 but it is a mess. Almost had it compiled but got tired of fixing lines of missing code so gave up.

I'm also sticking with Merlin's 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 until Asus realizes the mistake they made with the wireless driver on the N66U.

10 feet from the router with Merlin's firmware I'm at -25 dbm with any SDK6 driver I'm at about -40 dbm. I may try tomato shibby if it's easy to install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The latest Tomatousb are using driver 5.110.xxx so I am not sure how they run.

I was using a earlier Toastman version that I knew had the 5.100.138.20 driver.

Dear merlin, fix us up a special 5.100.138.20 driver firmware version :)

if it's possible lol

What's wrong with the SDK 5.110? I've never had issues with it.

And no, it's not difficult at all to install Tomato or go back to stock. Put the router in rescue mode, quickly load Tomato with the Asus restoration utility - done. You might need to clear nvram afterwards though. (I've done it at least 10 times.)

Last edited:
Is it just the optimized for xbox setting that won't work for the merlin 374.35_4 sdk 5 build? how much more is different other than that from the sdk 6 builds?

Is it just the optimized for xbox setting that won't work for the merlin 374.35_4 sdk 5 build? how much more is different other than that from the sdk 6 builds?

No HW acceleration for PPPoE.

Otherwise, all the changes and bugfixes filling up the changelog between 374.35_4 and 374.43.

Hi there 1st time here :)

After I've upgraded to this version of firmware, my Internet connection kept dropping repeatedly. Same thing with the latest Merlin firmware. I did factory reset everytime after the update. So am I doomed to stick with an older firmware forever?

Some info about my setup:

Modem: Technicolor TC7200.
Current stable firmware I'm using: Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
No. And expect this to become the norm in the future for other routers as well.

Thanks to the FCC, Asus will be forced to actually encrypt part of the wireless code to prevent end-user tampering. This is actually a REQURIEMENT from the FCC now. Manufacturers are required to ensure that end-users cannot change wireless behaviour or their regulation region through software modifications.

The FCC has nothing to do with Europe. Fair enough if manufacturers lock the locale - as long as it is set correctly for the country of sale in the first place.

OpenVPN server/client

I have a n66u at home and one at my wife's office. I've set up OpenVPN server on her office n66u and OpenVPN client on my home n66u. The connection is successful. I can see network shares on her office network. However, after I disconnect (via home n66u vpn client screen), I'm still able to ping into the office network and see the network shares. Furthermore, it now seems I am no longer able to access the office n66u webpage from my home pc. I get the following message in Firefox:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N66U. To access the settings of RT-N66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

I can't remember where I read it, but it seems the httpd daemon on the office n66u may have crashed. Unfortunately, I did not enable telnet on it. Has anyone encountered this, and does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?

At the moment, it's not a killer issue since the office network is still functioning. When I have a chance later this week, I'll drop by her office and reset the n66u so see if it helps. Btw, when I updated to 1071, I did not reset anything. Should I have?

Thanks,
Paul