What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, why you still using stock firmware if it haves a lot of bugs here... ?

I understand you are a big fan of that third party firmware but some people want to use the asus firmware.

If they want to use a third party firmware like you then the option is out there.

The main point here is the router should work out of the box. The customer should not have to search how to get around a broken firmware on first boot. Tech savy people like I'm sure will have no problems but for an average user that is not the case.

Of course any new technology has problems but this router is pretty bad at the moment. There are routers out there that are half the price and it works! A $200.00 router should give very little problems.

It's possible to connect with my Smartphone Android(galaxy s2)?

You have the same phone as me, so no. It does not support OpenVPN. You can install PPTP VPN on the router by installing a service call optware. There is no GUI to configure the PPTP VPN, it has to be done via CLI.

Last edited:
I flashed the newest 3.0.0.3.96 firmware and so far I have to say that I have no issues with it. I flashed the firmware through Firefox (flash did not work correctly from IE) and rebooted the router after the flash completed. I did not try mucking around with any new settings like the transmitter because my router was set up a certain way and settings were all saved post update. DLNA seems to be working better so far, but I have to validate it further. I am now able to use an NTFS formatted drive for DLNA and the multimedia indexing seems to be happening on the fly correctly. I will report back with more results when I get a chance to test things further in the next few days.

I did notice that my wireless devices seem to acquire the connection with one bar less than usual (signal is slightly weaker). I wonder if this is something that can be corrected by messing with the transmitter power settings. I guess I need to try this as well.

You have the same phone as me, so no. It does not support OpenVPN. You can install PPTP VPN on the router by installing a service call optware. There is no GUI to configure the PPTP VPN, it has to be done via CLI.

Have a guide or wiki to install this?
TNk's again :)

For as much hype, hooplah and attention this router is getting, it sounding like a buggy beta test.
The Linksys E4200V2 has twice as fast of a CPU and would have much more potential, I would think but not many people seem to give it much thought.

Last edited:
Try going into (LAN) (SWITCH CONTROL) and set (DISABLE H/W ACCELERATOR) to (YES). This is supposed to be a temperary fix, but it works. Hopefully they will really fix it soon.

Hope that works for you...

Thanks...

Hi thanks for the tip but it doesn`t work not in this newer firmware.
But from another computer on the internet say my uncles computer it`s no problem using the dns name to connect to my network so its just from inside localy the dns name crashes the router.
best regards Mrcom

My RT-66NU is giving me major problems. After upgrading to the latest firmware I lost internet connectivity and also can't connect to the router via web or the asus utility, the lights for the wireless networks are not lit up either. When I plug the router into my laptop via LAN port it doesn't connect either. I'm at a total loss...I can't restore the firmware because the router isn't in recovery mode and apparently won't go into recovery mode unless the firmware didn't install correctly.

Any ideas?

For as much hype, hooplah and attention this router is getting, it sounding like a buggy beta test.
The Linksys E4200V2 has twice as fast of a CPU and would have much more potential, I would think but not many people seem to give it much thought.

a lot of people (i for one) need the external antennas. this is a nice step up from the N16 (in theory)

My RT-66NU is giving me major problems. After upgrading to the latest firmware I lost internet connectivity and also can't connect to the router via web or the asus utility, the lights for the wireless networks are not lit up either. When I plug the router into my laptop via LAN port it doesn't connect either. I'm at a total loss...I can't restore the firmware because the router isn't in recovery mode and apparently won't go into recovery mode unless the firmware didn't install correctly.

Any ideas?
try removing power from it few minutes, if that doesn't work, theres a small reset button in the back, press and hold. i held mine for maybe 30 seconds, you will see the power led goes out and starts flashing again, let go at that point.
if that fails, theres a way to put it into recovery, hold said button and turning power back on. procedure owners manual, you should be able to load firmware than, at this point stick with .90
hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.