What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi thanks for the tip but it doesn`t work not in this newer firmware.
But from another computer on the internet say my uncles computer it`s no problem using the dns name to connect to my network so its just from inside localy the dns name crashes the router.
best regards Mrcom

I am actually using it successfully with the newer firmware. Maybe you will need to reboot the router and wait a couple of minutes, then give it a try.

Thanks...

My RT-66NU is giving me major problems. After upgrading to the latest firmware I lost internet connectivity and also can't connect to the router via web or the asus utility, the lights for the wireless networks are not lit up either. When I plug the router into my laptop via LAN port it doesn't connect either. I'm at a total loss...I can't restore the firmware because the router isn't in recovery mode and apparently won't go into recovery mode unless the firmware didn't install correctly.

Any ideas?

I know I have been there, slowly everyone will report issues with this fw...Anyways you need to put back the router to the previous fw. You will see that it comes up and down, for that short time is up you need to start loading the previous fw.

My RT-66NU is giving me major problems. After upgrading to the latest firmware I lost internet connectivity and also can't connect to the router via web or the asus utility, the lights for the wireless networks are not lit up either. When I plug the router into my laptop via LAN port it doesn't connect either. I'm at a total loss...I can't restore the firmware because the router isn't in recovery mode and apparently won't go into recovery mode unless the firmware didn't install correctly.

Any ideas?

Had the same issue with the new firmware that several people here have. To reset it unplug the power, hold down the reset button, and keep holding it down while you plug the power back in. The power light should slowly start to flash.

You should be able to assign your local machine a static IP of 192.168.1.5 (or something that is in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet), and then point your browser to 192.168.1.1. If the router is in rescue mode you should see a web interface for uploading a firmware, rebooting the router, or resetting the NVRAM values. That's about all you can do in this mode. You don't need to use the recovery CD like some people have said since this web interface does the same thing, and I prefer the web interface myself over dealing with an app when it comes to routers.

One thing to note is that after it restores the firmware through the web interface it makes it sound as though the router should be accessible again after a quick reboot. I've done this twice now, and it takes upwards of 10 minutes for the router to complete the restore. Since there is no progress bar it is easy to assume that the restore didn't work and you'll be tempted to try it again. Just be patient though.

I've had the rt-n66u for about 3 weeks and haven't had any reboots or problems except for me nat loopback did not work.

I upgraded to the new firmware yesterday and haven't had any problems with reboots, not being able to access the web interface its been rock solid.

When I upgraded I did not factory reset before or after the firmware upgrade if that helps anyone.

I was wanting to use shibbys firmware but have no need to as my nat loopback is fixed.

Sorry to hear so many people are having problems.

I flashed the newest 3.0.0.3.96 firmware and so far I have to say that I have no issues with it. I flashed the firmware through Firefox (flash did not work correctly from IE) and rebooted the router after the flash completed. I did not try mucking around with any new settings like the transmitter because my router was set up a certain way and settings were all saved post update. DLNA seems to be working better so far, but I have to validate it further. I am now able to use an NTFS formatted drive for DLNA and the multimedia indexing seems to be happening on the fly correctly. I will report back with more results when I get a chance to test things further in the next few days.

I did notice that my wireless devices seem to acquire the connection with one bar less than usual (signal is slightly weaker). I wonder if this is something that can be corrected by messing with the transmitter power settings. I guess I need to try this as well.

Thanks for posting your experiences.
Interesting how it seems split (some people with no issues at all with the new firmware and others with frequent disconnects and non-working DLNA).
I may try it when I get home tonight.
My biggest concern would be the lower signal strength (one bar less you believe) since I would rather not mess around with the TX power too much (for the sake of longevity sand the fact that it currently works great - I am two firmwares behind - I did not bother with the USB performance update one since I am not using the ports yet and figured I would wait till they fixed DLNA and NAT loopbback (neither of which I am using at this point).

I wish there were a way to tell what the actual TX power being used is with this latest firmware (I know that this would require serious measurement equipment). Given the fact that you experienced (slightly) lower signal strength I am wondering whether it was not calibrated properly in the previous fimrware revision (before the latest as of this time).

I know I have been there, slowly everyone will report issues with this fw...Anyways you need to put back the router to the previous fw. You will see that it comes up and down, for that short time is up you need to start loading the previous fw.

Had the same issue with the new firmware that several people here have. To reset it unplug the power, hold down the reset button, and keep holding it down while you plug the power back in. The power light should slowly start to flash.

You should be able to assign your local machine a static IP of 192.168.1.5 (or something that is in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet), and then point your browser to 192.168.1.1. If the router is in rescue mode you should see a web interface for uploading a firmware, rebooting the router, or resetting the NVRAM values. That's about all you can do in this mode. You don't need to use the recovery CD like some people have said since this web interface does the same thing, and I prefer the web interface myself over dealing with an app when it comes to routers.

One thing to note is that after it restores the firmware through the web interface it makes it sound as though the router should be accessible again after a quick reboot. I've done this twice now, and it takes upwards of 10 minutes for the router to complete the restore. Since there is no progress bar it is easy to assume that the restore didn't work and you'll be tempted to try it again. Just be patient though.

I really appreciate the help guys, unfortunately I still seem to have issues. When manually assigning an ip address I still cannot access the router. I uploaded the previous firmware through the Asus firmware restore utility, but now the router is cycling off and on repeatedly. This is very frustrating! What firmware version are you guys using?

One thing to note is I flashed tomato successfully..it's just going back to the Asus firmware I'm having issues with.

I really appreciate the help guys, unfortunately I still seem to have issues. When manually assigning an ip address I still cannot access the router. I uploaded the previous firmware through the Asus firmware restore utility, but now the router is cycling off and on repeatedly. This is very frustrating! What firmware version are you guys using?

One thing to note is I flashed tomato successfully..it's just going back to the Asus firmware I'm having issues with.
Dude send it back and get a replacement.

Well considering Asus support said RMA requests take up to three weeks I would like to exhaust every method of trying to get it up and running first lol.

ya disregard the greg asus firmware homer. if it's rockin' and rollin' with tomato stick with it and enjoy your new router!

ya disregard the greg asus firmware homer. if it's rockin' and rollin' with tomato stick with it and enjoy your new router!
?? What is that suppose to mean? Your not making sense.
You should have purchased it from a big reputable retailer like Amazon. That way you could just return it and wait for a replacement.

Guys I have done the upgrading to 3.0.0.3.96 and here are the results:

-NAT loopback bug FIXED
-40mW TX power FIXED, now you can go up to 500mW for both 2G or 5G
-DLNA appears to work

So far I'm happy guys...

Cheers,
G37x

Update WARNING!
Not sure what happened here as I write this message twice now due to no Internet connection...I get now freq Internet disconnects here is what i did:
-updated my fw
-changed disable hw back to no
-changed DLNA server name to RT-N66U from USB
-connected 1T hdd
-changed power settings to 200mW from 40mW

I now get a bunch of disconnects so I wanted to put the power settings back to 40mW but guess what ? They weer @ 40mW like I never changed them.
aSUS fixed 3 bugs and introduced major new ones...
I downgraded mine back to 3.1.0.3.90

Stability = ZERO at this point...I do not recommend upgrading the router at this point!!!

How did you manage to update this new 3.0.0.3.96 firmware? I tried following the standard path via Web UI -> Administration - and the router hung up, powering off/up did not help. After that I had to put it in recovery mode and upload the firmware again. Same result. Then tried loading 3.1.0.3.90 - and wasn't even able to load that. Then tried Tomato firmware and it was successful loaded (so now I'm using Tomato). Any ideas how to load this new firmware. And why this is happening to the new router? Last time I didn't have any issues with upgrading to 3.1.0.3.90 from 3.0.0.3.72. Weird that the new version has "0" as the 2nd digit instead of "1" (as it was in the previous version).

I am having exactly the same issue.

PS to what sending it back will solve? nothing - hardware/chips will be the same, better firmware will be available once it's available.

PPS it's a really good router, probably even the best on the market - i believe those minor issues should be solved shortly.

I am having exactly the same issue.

PS to what sending it back will solve? nothing - hardware/chips will be the same, better firmware will be available once it's available.

PPS it's a really good router, probably even the best on the market - i believe those minor issues should be solved shortly.
The user stated the router cycles on and off repeatedly while he is the only one that I heard of with this issue. So my proposed solution is valid.

Last edited:

Wow, I dont consider myself to be a networking proffesional by any means, but I do consider myself to be a VERY advanced user.

I must say... the info on tomato software is extremely scattered and vague!! DD-WRT had a much nicer compiled website.

From comparing Toastman and Shibby on the wiki, I'm liking Shibby's features more.... But I'm confused as hell since I'm not seeing support of the RTN66U mentioned anywhere!... Am I missing something?

Where can I download the Shibby build?

Also, why would you recommend toastman?

Last but not least, how do I install the firmware? Is it as simple as just updating the firmware through the GUI? Cause Im not finding RTN66U instructions.

Last but not least, can I easily go back to Asus FW if i decide to do that?

Google tomato shibby and you will find a review of shibby, done by a member here, very nicely done i may add. On it theres the link to download shibby version.
You need to put router into recovery in order to load tomato. Myself also considering loading it but going to wait little longer and see what asus will do. The .90 stable, with a few bugs for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.