What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROTFL :p Do it :p

Do you really think a "official" FW of ASUS would brick your router?? LOOOL

Even if that would happen you can always use RECOVERY MODE to flash it again, its really simple... I cannot do it like i said before cause im waiting for mine ;)

CHICKEN GUYS :p (LOL)

Last edited:
I live near Microcenter which has about 8 of them in store. I could pick another one and flash it. If it brick , I can return it, but that would be just wrong.

Specially when they read this forum too! ROTFL

From what i have read ASUSWRT is a "special" FW developed by ASUS with some new features asked by users, now what that could mean?!?!?

Hi,it's possible with the firmware original set low priority in QoS fo Jdownloader?
I set the port 80,but the Speed on Jdownloader not decrease!
Any suggestion?

Last edited:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=10&s=6&m=ASUSWRT&os=&hashedid=n/a

Can this be used with RT-N66U? I think so...

I really dont know the difference between ASUSWRT and Official FW but here it is:

ASUSWRT:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ASUSWRT/RT-N66U_3002_56.zip
How the heck did you even find this? The AsusWRT you point to in the first link above is for the RT-N16 which is a different router. Where did you get the second link aside from the fact that it appears to come from Asus official download servers? :confused:

ASUSWRT Firmware version is the same (RT-N16/RT-N66U):

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=10&s=6&m=ASUSWRT&os=&hashedid=n/a (Others => Firmware)

First link => RT-N16 (Version 300386)
Second link => RT-N66U (Version 3.0.1.9)
Third link => RT-N16 (Version 3.0.1.9)

==========================================================================

This are direct links to RT-N66U ASUSWRT FW:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ASUSWRT/RT-N66U_3002_56.zip
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ASUSWRT/RT-N66U_3002_60.zip
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/ASUSWRT/RT-N66U_3003_90.zip Last Version (16-01-2012)

And NO you cannot get the directory list ;)

PS: DLNA & Other stuff maybe could be working with this FW. Only testing to know the answer, i'll be waiting some feedback ;)

Last edited:
Those links are pointing to older versions of the firmware, would be interesting to know if wrt means what we think it may.. volunteers? :)

I have compared them, these are the same ORIGINAL files pffff LOL, but with different "names".

ASUSWRT = ORIGINAL FW

Last edited:
OK, about the signal strength issue with .96, I noticed that you can now increase the "tx power adjustment" setting in the Wireless-Professional screen. I set it to a higher value and signal strength is strong again.

Question: what value should be set for each network? What's the maximum? I'm new to this, so bear with me. Thanks.

That was essentially my question too, what is the maximum safe TX power level (assuming the displayed values are actually reflecting the power it is outputting, i.e. no display bugs and that the unit is accurately calibrated as well).
Online research yielded some typically safe values, but each router desiign is different (and amps play a role too), so I woud love to know for THIS router. what TX power level range is considered safe, for both short-term and LONG-TERM reliability (I would hate to have it die shortly after the warranty expires).

I am happy using 40mW (with my older firmware 2nd of the 4 release so far), but if 80mW (or 100) is still safe, then I could at least experiment a bit. :)

That was essentially my question too, what is the maximum safe TX power level (assuming the displayed values are actually reflecting the power it is outputting, i.e. no display bugs and that the unit is accurately calibrated as well).
Online research yielded some typically safe values, but each router desiign is different (and amps play a role too), so I woud love to know for THIS router. what TX power level range is considered safe, for both short-term and LONG-TERM reliability (I would hate to have it die shortly after the warranty expires).

I am happy using 40mW (with my older firmware 2nd of the 4 release so far), but if 80mW (or 100) is still safe, then I could at least experiment a bit. :)

Wouldn't it be best to set the 5ghz TX power higher than the 2.4ghz since it needs more power to travel longer distance?

Wouldn't it be best to set the 5ghz TX power higher than the 2.4ghz since it needs more power to travel longer distance?

Since 40mW was the max in the older firmwares (i.e. till now), I had not really played with it/. In fact I have not gone back to any of the config screens since the day I got my router about a month ago.

So until one of the other posters alluded to that today (the one I quoted I believe), I was not even aware the TX power values could be set independently for each band (nice touch Asus).

Yes, logically that makes sense - setting it higher for 5 GHz, but since 5 Ghz is inherently limited due to the 5Ghz frequrency limitations, even higher power *may* not help once you get to a certain point (whatever that level is).
I guess experimentaiton, within safe limits (whatever those are), could answer the question.

Well, I was contemplating converting my RT-N66U to Tomato USB, like I did with my RT-N16U, but I'm glad that I waited. This morning, I looked at the router and all the status lights were off. The power supply blue LED was rapidly flashing, rather than being lit steadily. No amount of plugging, unplugging (different outlets) or using the reset button matters (hard or soft). I'm now in the ASUS RMA process. I bought the router from SuperBiiz and they only have a 30 day RMA period, which of course ran out a few days ago. The router worked perfectly for exactly 34 days. And I can't use another power supply, because ASUS has a smaller plug, probably because of the higher DC V.

Fortunately, I was only using the 66 as an AP off of the 16, so my wireless network is not completely wrecked. I've read other places that the RT-N66Us overheat and fail, but my router was in a nice cool, open location, so I don't think that was the problem.

Any thoughts, condolences, humorous anecdotes?

Status
Not open for further replies.