What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks and would that give me a GUI, or is it the usual open source rubbish with editing text files?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between Shibby's and Toastman's versions?

Also, I ordered a RT-N66 today to replace one of RT-N16 (which has problems), what is the recommended setting for the "Transmit Power" for the RT-N66 with either of these Tomato firmwares?

If I recall correctly I RT-N16 set at around 60 or 65 mW in the GUI.

Anyone...?

I have a question on my own

In the IP Traffic graph it lists 11 IPs, however if some new device connects and starts using the bandwidth it wont be displayed in the graph so the graph table isnt based on the active members

Is there some where I could change that?

The IP Traffic list is based on the ARP table.
If a client is transferring data, it will show up in the list sooner or later.

How is 095 working out for you guys? I tried earlier version but it was too buggy. Now I'm running .151 beta from Asus, pretty good but I'm more interested in Tomato firmware.

How is 095 working out for you guys? I tried earlier version but it was too buggy. Now I'm running .151 beta from Asus, pretty good but I'm more interested in Tomato firmware.

The firmware version 095 runs ok for me, but one big issue is the router will be hang or lost all the signal if it runs more than 3 days with 2 Virtual Wireless on wl0.3 and wl1.3 serve 14 various clients. Scheduler still can't work properly.

Others than that is fine. Hope Shibby soon will make Virtual Wireless more stable in the next build. I love Tomato firmware because it has Bandwidth Limiter and much better Qos as compared to Asus's firmware. :D

Next tomato version will have 64k nvram - all added like in asus sources and everything works without any problems.

New feature in next build will be probably TOR (screen below from RC v97).

Attachments

• asus64knvram.jpg
    asus64knvram.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 468
  • tomato-tor.png
    tomato-tor.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Next tomato version will have 64k nvram - all added like in asus sources and everything works without any problems.

New feature in next build will be probably TOR (screen below from RC v97).

Wow, It's a very good news. Do you when it will be released for public ?

Btw, does it has a fix for Virtual Wireless also ? :p

The IP Traffic list is based on the ARP table.
If a client is transferring data, it will show up in the list sooner or later.

I wanted to make sure before I'd replay, I am sure the graph chart doesnt update the IP table. however I found out that In the Transfer Rate page I could see all the IPs using the internet so its not important anymore :), but I am still intrested.

Btw I have about 22 static IP amd each pf them has the IP Traffic enabled ( i have no idea what happens if this was off, does the router stop measuring the bandwidth usage, edoes the IP stop being used in chart)

Much appreciated

Last edited:
Does anyone know how soon the new Tomato firmware with 64kb Nvam fix will be released ? Will it have some fixes for Virtual Wireless as well ?

Shibby is testing a version now. I believe it will be build #.097
Not sure when it will be released. Soon I imagine.

Shibby's 097 EN build is out and the 64K NVRAM fix is a winner!;)

NVRAM Before flash:
before64k.jpg

NVRAM after flash up to 097 & clearing of NVRAM:
after64k.jpg

After entering all setting including those for OpenVPN and added certs:
final64k.jpg

So looks like this will hold w/over 50% of NVRAM avail and I went and set bandwidth usage stats to be saved to NVRAM even though tomato will give you a pop-up message that this may not be a good idea!:D

Upon from NVRAM to be increased to 64K, Is there any difference/improvement in terms of performance between 32K and 64K version? I really don't want to enter all my settings if there is no performance improvement between these 2 versions.

Does anyone know if 097 has any performance improvements? I saw the CTF option in one of the Settings page.

Had to move to Asuswrt-merlin as I had much difficulty configuring the VLANs for use with my service provider here in Singapore. IPTV wasn't working :(

Figured I should stick to asus-based builds and not waste time tinkering with the VLAN settings as they have the improved speed!

CTF on or off makes no noticeable difference on any tomato build I've tried it on, including shibby 097. Router is CPU limited to a total of ~215 Mb/sec total up & down combined. It was the same on latest Toastman build as well. We need more powerful CPU!

Ed

Does anyone know if 097 has any performance improvements? I saw the CTF option in one of the Settings page.

Had to move to Asuswrt-merlin as I had much difficulty configuring the VLANs for use with my service provider here in Singapore. IPTV wasn't working :(

Figured I should stick to asus-based builds and not waste time tinkering with the VLAN settings as they have the improved speed!

I am currently using the 97 firmware, nothing new except that you can add more stuff in which expands the configuration of the router which is stored in NVRAM.

I notice that the wifi drivers is older than Toastman's builds.

I am currently using the 97 firmware, nothing new except that you can add more stuff in which expands the configuration of the router which is stored in NVRAM.

Can I restore the cfg file which is back-up from 32K version after I upgrade to 64K version and clean up NVRAM?

William

Well, TOR is new... if someone needs it...

As for the wifi driver, Shibby uses 5.100.138.20 and Toastman 5.100.138.9, which is older AFAIK.