What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That is a tricky one, it's so many settings, environment and client settings but a advice is to use:

WPA2 personal + AES
WMM
FIXED CHANNEL 1-6-11
Country / Region yours
Don't use more power then you need.

And most importent is to update your client with latest drivers. Here is a god site to download from:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/drivers.htm

octopus

Last edited:
That is a tricky one, it's so many settings, environment and client settings but a advice is to use:

WPA2 personal + AES
WMM
FIXED CHANNEL 1-6-11
Country / Region yours
Don't use more power then you need.

And most importent is to update your client with latest drivers. Here is a god site to download from:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/drivers.htm

octopus

i've already set these:
WPA2 personal + AES -> yes
FIXED CHANNEL 1-6-11 -> yes
Country / Region yours -> yes

but:
WMM -> what's this?
Don't use more power then you need. -> i've tryed 42mw to 120mw without noticing any performance increase, do you know why? am i wrong with the measurements method?

Thanks again

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ for WMM™
- Support for Multimedia Applications with Quality of Service in Wi-Fi Networks

WMM is a subset of IEEE 802.11e (MAC Enhancements for Quality of Service)

Thats what I mean with power. You can only reach "max signal" and nothing more.
Therefor it's not usefull to use higer power.

Maby power settings in RMerlin SW not working. I'm using Tomato and 20mW and that is more then enough.

octopus

Last edited:
i'm using shibby's 0.97 version.

For QoS, i don't think it will impact me because i'm having low transfer rate without any other client connected.
I will check for mw power tonight, i will try to do some more tests to see if it's useful to higher the value or not.
Thanks.

WMM is a must if you want to take advantage of full N-speed (300mb) if you don't wont that use G-mode 40Mhz which give you best speed (72mb).
Don't look at connection speed, measure with real speed meter,

octopus

Last edited:
i've been always using 40mhz mode, that's probabily why i'm having poor perfomances.
So how should i set up the wireless mode? Auto? 20mhz?
Where is the WMM?
Thanks again.

Use this settings:

WPA2 personal + AES
WMM
FIXED CHANNEL 1-6-11
Country / Region yours

WMM is under => advanced => wireless => Wireless Settings => WMM

Poor speed comes most of time from BAD client driver, config and your environment.
Intels is known of realy crappy clients. The new one with 3x3 mimo is better.

I can reach speed 8-9 M/bps with RT-N16 when you use Ext2/3 formatting.
With RT-N66 you should reach 10-12 M/bps.

octopus

Last edited:
Run inSSIDer and finde the best channel for you.
I'm sure it will not 1,6,11 because almost all your neighbors use defoult channel
always crowed on 1,6 and 11 and mix each other (use something like 9 and 64).
WMM will not do something usefull except QoS or Save Power.
It's absolutelly useless for speed...

Last edited:
Run inSSIDer and finde the best channel for you.
I'm sure it will not 1,6,11 because almost all your neighbors use defoult channel
always crowed on 1,6 and 11 and mix each other (use something like 9 and 64).
WMM will not do something usefull except QoS or Save Power.
It's absolutelly useless for speed...
WMM is actually required to get 300mbps, at least for Intel wireless cards, Google it. I had my laptop wireless set to connect to my 5GHz network, it just wouldn't connect above 54gbps, enabled WMM on the router and voila! 300mbps.

Don't think that problem (or requirement) exists on non-intel wireless cards, but don't quote me on that.

i was disappointed to find out that i was already using wmm....
i'm trying now with 20Mhz on 2.4Ghz and 40Mhz on 5Ghz to see if i can gain something in terms of performances....
The 2.4Ghz band is very crowded...

Are there any other settings i should consider to gain perfomances?
Thanks again.

WMM is actually required to get 300mbps, at least for Intel wireless cards, Google it. I had my laptop wireless set to connect to my 5GHz network, it just wouldn't connect above 54gbps, enabled WMM on the router and voila! 300mbps.

Don't think that problem (or requirement) exists on non-intel wireless cards, but don't quote me on that.
Yes, you are right about WMM.
The best position is "Auto" or even "Enable".

Last edited:
I have also been trying both Shibby's and Toastman's latest 64k nvram enable versions and Toastman's version has been the winner so far in the 2.4GHz band. However, both fail miserably in the 5GHz band and AsusWRT-merlin wins in that regard. As a matter of fact I have found that when I use set channels in both bands that performance increases substantially.

mW power..need clarification

Hi,

I have a problem with wireless range in my house, 2.4 & 5 GHz! I feel the router should deliver very much wider coverage...also I don't think the 5GHz is delivering bandwidth speed as it should...the maximmum i got while transfering data (450Mb to 450 Mb) is 6 MB/sec...Thats between my MBP late 2011 & Mac mini 2012!

I bought the RTN66U from the US and I live in Egypt, I tried setting mW from 100 to 500, no gains...

Can someone explain the mW / Transmit Power, how it works? is it safe? can raising it too high damage the router / wireless signal?

What settings should I set to have the maximum wireless range?

Does setting the country / other countries affect this subject?

Using 097 by Shibby...

Thank you all in advance...

450 Mbits is assuming your network card can support triple stream 450 Mbits. Many cards are limited to 300 Mbits (and a lot of laptops only do single stream 150 Mbits). Check at what speed your computers are connected to the wireless network.

450 Mbits is assuming your network card can support triple stream 450 Mbits. Many cards are limited to 300 Mbits (and a lot of laptops only do single stream 150 Mbits). Check at what speed your computers are connected to the wireless network.

It says connected on 450 Mbits....but my question remains...is it safe to up the mW?

It says connected on 450 Mbits....but my question remains...is it safe to up the mW?

I thought someone else had answered you in another thread, but yes, it's safe. The router was designed for it. Keep in mind that the benefits are somewhat limited with a laptop, because the laptop's antennas and own radio output might be a limiting factor - your router might be sending a stronger signal, but the laptop won't.

Hi,

I am running 0.97 64k now.

As I am based out of US , I use a StrongVPN (PPTP) access on my Win 7 64-bit. I wish to apply the same settings on the router and wish to enable VPN on certain IP addresses only. Does someone have the steps to perform the tasks ? Thanks