What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No, tomato firmware doesn't work on the RT-N56U because of using the Ralink chipset instead of Broadcom. The only alternative firmware that I'm aware of for the RT-N56U is here:

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

Its authors started with Asus firmware and fixed a lot of bugs, so it's really very good firmware for the rt-n56u, much better than that from Asus in my experience.

No, tomato firmware doesn't work on the RT-N56U because of using the Ralink chipset instead of Broadcom. The only alternative firmware that I'm aware of for the RT-N56U is here:

Its authors started with Asus firmware and fixed a lot of bugs, so it's really very good firmware for the rt-n56u, much better than that from Asus in my experience.
The only problem I have with that custom firmware for the Rt-n56u, was in the latest version he removed the QOS feature, which I'm not happy about him removing.

Bummer! I just bought the n56u and I really prefer Tomato on my routers. Anyone have any clues as to when we'll see the N66U back in stock everywhere?

edit - To answer my own question, I called B&H and they said they should have more in stock in 7-10 days. So I guess when they get those in stock I'll exchange the n56u I bought from them. Hope this helps someone else looking for one.

Last edited:
AIO = All in one. If no one has any issues with v85, I might flash it.

Hi,
I flashed AIO w/o any issue this morning. Had to tweak radios for max. speed.
Like the USB support part(I use only flash drives) As good or better than .102 stock f/w I ran for a day. Will see what happens when wife starts streaming movies tonight.

Bummer! I just bought the n56u and I really prefer Tomato on my routers. Anyone have any clues as to when we'll see the N66U back in stock everywhere?

edit - To answer my own question, I called B&H and they said they should have more in stock in 7-10 days. So I guess when they get those in stock I'll exchange the n56u I bought from them. Hope this helps someone else looking for one.

There's another thread here on where these routers are available, but if you have Fry's Electronics stores near you, the ones near me have the rt-n66u on their shelves (even though it was showing "on back order" on the web site).

Hi,
I flashed AIO w/o any issue this morning. Had to tweak radios for max. speed.
Like the USB support part(I use only flash drives) As good or better than .102 stock f/w I ran for a day. Will see what happens when wife starts streaming movies tonight.

The default TX power of 42mW is not good enough? I am wondering if I should upgrade my 83V to 85V. Not sure what is new or if it fix anything.

After upgrade to Tomato firmware do reset -
plug out DC, press and hold on WPS, plug in DC and don't release WPS button during 30s
After reboot you will see both bands again.

Hi,
I understand that is to erase NVRAM? I always erase NVRAM after flashing
via Telenet or SSH.

Just wanted to post and let everyone know you may not have to use the firmware recovery software as there is a built in miniweb server once you are in recovery mode.

It has options to upload a firmware file, reboot router and clear NVRAM.

To access the miniweb server you static IP your network adapter to 192.168.1.2 with gateway 192.168.1.1 then open your web browser to 192.168.1.1

I have not tried uploading tomato this way yet but did revert back to stock through this. At first I was stuck in a reboot loop after reverting back to stock so I went back into recovery mode and cleared NVRAM through the webserver then rebooted through the webserver. After that all was good to go. Next up is to see if I can upload tomato through the webserver.

EDIT:
Successfully went from stock to tomato and then back to stock through the miniweb server. It is really nice that you can clear the NVRAM right through the browser before uploading a file. Just remember it takes time (up to 5 minutes) after uploading a file until the router reboots. Still seemed maybe faster then waiting for 1%, 10%, etc. that the recovery software makes you wait through.

Browser opens to this page:

Attachments

• recovery.JPG
    recovery.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Just wanted to post and let everyone know you may not have to use the firmware recovery software as there is a built in miniweb server once you are in recovery mode.

It has options to upload a firmware file, reboot router and clear NVRAM.

To access the miniweb server you static IP your network adapter to 192.168.1.2 with gateway 192.168.1.1 then open your web browser to 192.168.1.1

I have not tried uploading tomato this way yet but did revert back to stock through this. At first I was stuck in a reboot loop after reverting back to stock so I went back into recovery mode and cleared NVRAM through the webserver then rebooted through the webserver. After that all was good to go. Next up is to see if I can upload tomato through the webserver.

EDIT:
Successfully went from stock to tomato and then back to stock through the miniweb server. It is really nice that you can clear the NVRAM right through the browser before uploading a file. Just remember it takes time (up to 5 minutes) after uploading a file until the router reboots. Still seemed maybe faster then waiting for 1%, 10%, etc. that the recovery software makes you wait through.

Browser opens to this page:

Thanks for the tip. Just in case for those who lost their recovery cd, they can use this method.

Thanks for the tip. Just in case for those who lost their recovery cd, they can use this method.

Actually, I found it was better to use the miniweb server as the recovery application does not have reboot or clear nvram options in it.

For those who is using the current version of Shibby's. Can you tell me what has been fixed and if anything new was added?

For those who is using the current version of Shibby's. Can you tell me what has been fixed and if anything new was added?

Found in the tomatousb forum.

release 085V
Changelog:
- ip6tables fixed - "account" and "lan access" error
- fix Toggle Visibility on QoS pages
- fix syslog service when custom path is enabled
- WOL should now works on br1,2,3
- cosmetics changes in status-overview about LAN section
- Transmission update from 2.42 to 2.50

Shibby is working well for me and I love the additional controls it has over the stock Asus firmware! I'd like to give Toastman's a look. Would I be able to back up the configuration from Shibby and then flash Toastman's and restore my config file? TIA

Shibby is working well for me and I love the additional controls it has over the stock Asus firmware! I'd like to give Toastman's a look. Would I be able to back up the configuration from Shibby and then flash Toastman's and restore my config file? TIA

No, at least it's not recommended.

I'd like to try Shibby's but it doesn't have Musltiple SSID yet.