What's new

Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Upgraded V83 to V85. The status info looks more like Toatsman's build. Will report tomorrow and see how stable it is.

Thanks for the 102 feedback.
Been working late (at work now about ot leave), but hopefully (after also going shopping tonight), I will have a bit of time to update to 102 toinight and compare the throughput measurements to 96.

Toastman's build allow you to overclock the cpu via GUI. Shibby's does not, but I think you can do it via CLI.

Toastmans build also has multiple SSID GUI. Shibby is adding just not there yet.

I'm sure there are other things that differ. I loaded Toastmans 4096 (latest) just now. No issues. I just need to manually set everything up which will take me awhile.

I'm curious what others are putting for antenna power? Default is 0

I was getting bad wifi speed with 085V. I had to rollback the firmware to 083V then I loss the 5ghz band! Hold down the reset button and power back up got me back the 5ghz. I went and did a NVRAM clear and re-configured my router back to the way it was. Now that it is back on 083V, my wifi speed is not as good as before I upgraded to 085V, WTF?!

I was trying the different firmware. But where do I download the Toastman version I can use with the RT-N66U?

I tried the Shibby version. Its ok but it seems like it sometimes has problems controlling the speed limit I set in it. Its like sometimes it totally ignores what I have set.

I actually prefer the Asus stock firmware, but it lacks detail information like the connected wireless clients wifi strength. Which I find is ridiculous for any router manufacturer to not include in their firmware.

The Asus firmware also has the same annoying bug my RT-N56U router has, in that it doesn't display all the connected clients. Asus seems unable to fix that, even though custom firmware has no problem.

I was trying the different firmware. But where do I download the Toastman version I can use with the RT-N66U?

I tried the Shibby version. Its ok but it seems like it sometimes has problems controlling the speed limit I set in it. Its like sometimes it totally ignores what I have set.

I actually prefer the Asus stock firmware, but it lacks detail information like the connected wireless clients wifi strength. Which I find is ridiculous for any router manufacturer to not include in their firmware.

The Asus firmware also has the same annoying bug my RT-N56U router has, in that it doesn't display all the connected clients. Asus seems unable to fix that, even though custom firmware has no problem.

Below is the VPN version...

http://www.4shared.com/file/SAmpnPSc/tomato-K26USB-12804952MIPSR2-T.html?

Well, YMMV, but I've had no love from toastman's version. Major wifi drops on both bands...back to Shibby for me.

I was getting bad wifi speed with 085V. I had to rollback the firmware to 083V then I loss the 5ghz band! Hold down the reset button and power back up got me back the 5ghz. I went and did a NVRAM clear and re-configured my router back to the way it was. Now that it is back on 083V, my wifi speed is not as good as before I upgraded to 085V, WTF?!

Not sure what happen this morning but now the wifi speed is just as good before I upgraded to 085V.

Did you compare the wireless performance towards the latest standard firmware?

I spent all day today comparing Toastman's, Shibby's, (both latest version) and stock .102. Two tomatos are almost equal in wired/wireless performance. Stock .102 performs noticeably better in wireless speed and signal strength. I set TX power at 70mW on all three, turned off QOS. Being lazy I did not drag out any measuring instrument. Just www.yahoo.com as a ping test target. Down streaming my wife's favorite movies over and over. Definitely stock .102 performs better than either Tomato particularly on wireless side. I flashed stock .102 back on mine. ping time average is like over 100ms vs, less than 100ms. Download speed on either wireless radio is like 30 vs over 40mbs. Maybe Tomatos have older radio drivers?

I spent all day today comparing Toastman's, Shibby's, (both latest version) and stock .102. Two tomatos are almost equal in wired/wireless performance. Stock .102 performs noticeably better in wireless speed and signal strength. I set TX power at 70mW on all three, turned off QOS. Being lazy I did not drag out any measuring instrument. Just www.yahoo.com as a ping test target. Down streaming my wife's favorite movies over and over. Definitely stock .102 performs better than either Tomato particularly on wireless side. I flashed stock .102 back on mine. ping time average is like over 100ms vs, less than 100ms. Download speed on either wireless radio is like 30 vs over 40mbs. Maybe Tomatos have older radio drivers?
Just wondering if you used the same wireless channel for each firmware?

Just wondering if you used the same wireless channel for each firmware?

For sure , yes. And only 20MHz B/W. And my repeated speed test was against a server only ~100miles away to minimize fluctuation. Config. on all 3 was identical.

I spent all day today comparing Toastman's, Shibby's, (both latest version) and stock .102.... Maybe Tomatos have older radio drivers?
Thank you for your review.
Question is:
are you leave the options in Adwansed-Wireless like default in Tomato firmware?

Thank you for your review.
Question is:
are you leave the options in Adwansed-Wireless like default in Tomato firmware?

Hi,
Only thing, I set the preamble to "short" TX after burner "on" Jumbo frame "off"
Also I noticed Toastman's does not light up USB indicator on the router.
I don't use all the features for our needs, Only IPV6 when it is needed.
Hope ASUS fix the IPV6 bugs soon. Wireless performance difference was too much to ignore.

Hi,
Only thing, I set the preamble to "short" TX after burner "on" Jumbo frame "off"
Also I noticed Toastman's does not light up USB indicator on the router.
I don't use all the features for our needs, Only IPV6 when it is needed.
Hope ASUS fix the IPV6 bugs soon. Wireless performance difference was too much to ignore.

after burner should be off! the default is off.

Preamble default i think is long??