What's new

Asus warranty question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marinemaster

Regular Contributor
Hi, planning to get the 86U new from ebay as is cheaper. As I have been reading here this model tends to burn up and die, if that happens how does Asus honors warranty ? Do i need proof of purchase or what is needed ? Buyer does not have any paper just the new sealed box with the router. Will Asus warranty if this thing dies ?

Hi, planning to get the 86U new from ebay as is cheaper. As I have been reading here this model tends to burn up and die, if that happens how does Asus honors warranty ? Do i need proof of purchase or what is needed ? Buyer does not have any paper just the new sealed box with the router. Will Asus warranty if this thing dies ?

I would ask Asus.

OE

And depending on who answers from Asus and where you bought it from and where you use it (live), it may still not be covered. :)

Buyer does not have any paper just the new sealed box with the router.

As per ASUS Warranty Policy:
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_Warranty/

"Asus guarantees that the Asus Products that you have purchased are free from defects in materials or workmanship under normal use during the Limited Warranty Period. The Limited Warranty Period starts from the date of purchase. Your sales receipt, showing the date of purchase, is the proof of your purchase date. You may be required by your Purchase Site or Asus Authorized service Providers to present the proof of purchase as a condition of receiving warranty service. You are entitled to a hardware warranty service if a repair is required within the Limited Warranty Period."

In case they honor the warranty without proof of purchase, the manufacturing date as per ASUS records is the beginning of the warranty period. In other words, this router off eBay may have little or no warranty left. My suggestion is to purchase the router from a reputable retailer and keep the original receipt and warranty card in case something happens to it.

FWIW: For me they refused everything (receipt with my name) as I bought it in different country.

Also when you receive a replacement router under an RMA from ASUS its warranty coverage only extends to the date where the warranty on the original unit would have expired.

I would pay attention to getting a more recent vintage 86U, as they seem to be more reliable. At least the reports of failures have tapered off... Unless the eBay source can be verified to be recent build I'd go to a mainstream outlet.

My ASUS RT-AC86U warranty experience a year or so ago (with full purchase documentation) was miserable. It took a week of frustrating back and forth to convince ASUS that the problem (dead 2.4 Ghz radio) wasn't operator error. Then about a month to send in the unit (at my cost) and finally receive a replacement (not repaired) unit. Buying a new unit would have been cheaper if my client had been paying for my time. Fortunately we had an old 68U unit we had pressed into service. (Do those ever fail!?)

Sounds like you are buying second hand and not from a genuine retailer , that being the case your rights are probably limited.

No idea if ASUS finally gave up on the problematic series of 2018 AC86s and scrapped them or they are still out there to bedevil someone else.

Spend the money and buy new.

I think I'll keep my 2018 86U on node duty in the garage and my 2020 86U as router in the house since the router is pumping a lot more traffic. Who knows, maybe this will get more out-of-warranty hours from the 2018 86U.

OE

Sounds like you are buying second hand and not from a genuine retailer , that being the case your rights are probably limited.

Indeed. If you can't trust that the warranty will be fulfilled, then you can't trust the seller (of the warranty).

OE

I've been running mu 86U for about 2 weeks now.. still not sure if I should return or not, have till end of May to decide and get it back to them. I'm experiencing 2.4Ghz issues many have reported. Seems a shame to return it. But, now I'm wondering, is there a way to tell which year model I've received here?

If you have the original box, it will say on there the year of manufacture.

No, most issues were with 2018 era. :)

You should be okay.

For the last three weeks, I've had trouble with items not connecting well to my RT-86U on the 2.4 radio: an old Chromecast, a new water meter leak sensor, etc. It had occurred after updating to the 3/30/2020 AsusWRT firmware update, so figured that was it. (I was running with Smart Connect on, so I didn't think at first to check the separate radio results.) Updated to the 4/14 firmware update, that didn't help. Yesterday I decided to try Merlin's firmware 384.16, which installed just fine. Same results: 5 GHz radio is getting 200+ Mbps from the router, the 2.4 GHz radio manages about 150 Kbps. I turned off Smart Connect, tried disabling MIMO and universal beamforming (suggestions from other posts), and nothing improved; still great on the 5, almost nothing on the 2.4 radio.

Does this sound like a failing 2.4 radio or some mismanaged router settings on my part? The 86U was purchased in June 2018 and had been performing flawlessly up until the last month.

Thanks for any suggestions!

One of the most frequently reported problems with AC86s manufactured in 2018 was the 2.4 Ghz radio. Look at the back of the router and check what year your router was manufactured. If 2018 do a total nuclear reset then set the router up from scratch. If that doesn't solve the problem them time to contact ASUS for an RMA prior to your warranty expiration.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!