What's new

Asus XT8 (AX6600) 160MHz Client Channel Provision

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I checked both 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2 sadly. I tried without mesh also.
Don't you have this tick or is it grayed?:

1618678764341.png

According to this post their is an issue because of the weather radar here in canada

According to this post their is an issue because of the weather radar here in canada
You can use 160Mhz in the 36-64 channel if the router allows it. Unfortunately Asus made the choice in the XT8 of splitting the channels between the two 5Ghz radios. Radio 1 can use the 36-64 channels but can't do 160Mhz; radio 2 can do 160Mhz but can't use 36-64. This breaks 160Mhz support on countries with restrictions on channels 120-128; this includes Canada, UK and EU.

On the AX92u setting the control channel to 100 enables 160Mhz mode on the backhaul. Give it a try on your XT8. However, 160Mhz may bring about more issues due to interference.

I'm not sure how it is in Canada but here in the UK the 5Ghz spectrum is becoming crowded. Many routers broadcast multiple SSID's. BT (very popular ISP) routers broadcast 2 additional guest networks on 2.4ghz and 5Ghz. Most of the major UK ISP's have been actively promoting and rolling out mesh solutions to their clients.

If, like me you do live in a crowded area I would just leave it all on auto and let it handle things itself.

Last edited:
I think it is related to something you have selected, as I have the latest firm and these are my selectable options (including 160 mhz):

View attachment 33172
So I just realized I don't see the "Enable 160mhz" setting in my Asus XT8. I'm in Canada running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_45934, with wired backhaul and router + 1 node. Maybe I'm missing a setting or something. Not sure.. I thought it was because I was in Canada, but even on the Asus website for Canada it says 160mhz wifi 6.. I know wifi 6E is not available yet in Canada.

So I just realized I don't see the "Enable 160mhz" setting in my Asus XT8. I'm in Canada running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_45934, with wired backhaul and router + 1 node. Maybe I'm missing a setting or something. Not sure.. I thought it was because I was in Canada, but even on the Asus website for Canada it says 160mhz wifi 6.. I know wifi 6E is not available yet in Canada.

In some other brands I see "select country" in wifi settings, but in Asus (I have had 3 in 15 years), there is no such setting. So, my XT8 bought in Amazon Spain doesn't know where is it located (there is no geoip yet). So, I think that being in Canada is not the cause. It is very strange.

Only 36-54 are allowed for 160MHz in Canada which are the channels used for 5G1. No 160MHz on 5G2 in Canada. Overlap that with XT8 only having 160MHz on 5G2, and you get no 160MHz with XT8 in Canada.
(edit: typo)

Only 36-54 are allowed for 160MHz in Canada which are the channels used for 5G1. No 160MHz on 5G2 in Canada. Overlap that with XT8 only having 160MHz on 5G2, and you get no 160MHz with XT8 in Canada.
(edit: typo)
How does XT8 know where is it located? TPlink routers have a wifi setting where you select the country. How can your router know it is in Canada? How mine know I'm in Spain? I don't think it has to be with Geoip, or the country you have bought it. The info in its base doesn't say "EU version" or similar.

How does XT8 know where is it located? TPlink routers have a wifi setting where you select the country. How can your router know it is in Canada? How mine know I'm in Spain? I don't think it has to be with Geoip, or the country you have bought it. The info in its base doesn't say "EU version" or similar.
The territory/region is written into the CFE during manufacture. That's why people have problems when they purchase a router in one region and then try and use it in a different region.

Hi all
I'm in the UK
i own a ax6600XT8
i use the PHONE APP to configure, seems to have less options and sets the router up perfectly. sometimes ÷less is -more !!

so, i use the asus app..
in WiFi settings...

1. DO NOT USE SMART CONNECT. TURN IT OFF AND CREATE THREE WIRELESS NETWORKS.

2. TURN ON enable.160mhz

3. On 5ghz-2 SWITCH OFF HIDE SSID

reboot

voila. i have devices connected to 5ghz-2 at 160mhz with a dl link speed of 1400mpbs

yummi

USE THE PHONE APP
!!!!

Last edited:
Hi all
I'm in the UK
i own a ax6600XT8
i use the PHONE APP to configure, seems to have less options and sets the router up perfectly. sometimes ÷less is -more !!

so, i use the asus app..
in WiFi settings...

1. DO.L NOT USE SMART CONNECT. TURN IT OFF AND CREATE THREE WIRELESS NETWORKS.

2. TURN ON enable.160mhz

3. On 5ghz-2 SWITCH OFF HIDE SSID

reboot

voila. i have devices connected to 5ghz-2 at 160mhz with a dl link speed of 1400mpbs

yummi

USE THE PHONE APP
!!!!
p.s.

factory reset 1st to ensure a clean JFFS..

then

TURN OFF UNIVERSAL BEAM FORMING TOO. Just use explict only....made a difference in my bungalow

hope my posts help

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!