What's new

Asus XT8 Hardware Version Difference

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

colonelcasey223

New Around Here
I just got a new Asus XT8 from Amazon and noticed it was v1 hardware. However, I noticed on the Asus firmware site mentions of a v2 as recent from December 2022. I haven't been able to find any documentation of differences between the v1 and v2 versions of the hardware. Does anyone know what they are and should I be concerned about using a v1 version of the XT8 when it seems like a v2 variant is available?

There is no information available about changes, but following other models changes I would expect the CPU replaced from BCM6755 to BCM6756 used in V2 models of RT-AX58U hardware variants - RT-AX3000, RT-AX82U, TUF-AX3000/AX5400, GS Strix AX3000/AX5400, etc. If this is the difference, V2 will be GNUton's Asuswrt-Merlin fork incompatible. Also, there are differences in V1 hardware as well - if manufactured in 2022 or later the oldest firmware compatible is 386_46061. Careful with this because older firmware circulates around as "recommended" and some folks have bricked their XT8 units.

There is no information available about changes, but following other models changes I would expect the CPU replaced from BCM6755 to BCM6756 used in V2 models of RT-AX58U hardware variants - RT-AX3000, RT-AX82U, TUF-AX3000/AX5400, GS Strix AX3000/AX5400, etc. If this is the difference, V2 will be GNUton's Asuswrt-Merlin fork incompatible. Also, there are differences in V1 hardware as well - if manufactured in 2022 or later the oldest firmware compatible is 386_46061. Careful with this because older firmware circulates around as "recommended" and some folks have bricked their XT8 units.
Good info...thanks Tech9!

I can't confirm the eventual CPU swap in V2, but there are confirmed differences in V1 models manufactured in different years.

@colonelcasey223, I would return this XT8 set to Amazon and look for something better. This model has slow ARMv7 based hardware, discontinued 5GHz radio SoC and long history of stability issues. Folks around hunt for good XT8 firmware for years. This is only one of the many threads on SNB:

I can't confirm the eventual CPU swap in V2, but there are confirmed differences in V1 models manufactured in different years.

@colonelcasey223, I would return this XT8 set to Amazon and look for something better. This model has slow ARMv7 based hardware, discontinued 5GHz radio SoC and long history of stability issues. Folks around hunt for good XT8 firmware for years. This is only one of the many threads on SNB:

So am I the only one on this forum with no issues with XT8 V1 using wireless backhaul and the GNUton Fork? Either I'm the luckiest sob around or I stumbled upon the perfect settings to make this work. Maybe I should post screenshots of my settings, although I'm sure that would result in tons of negative comments about why it won't work.

As an owner and user of the ZenWiFi XT8, I would differ with your assessment of the performance of the V1 hardware. I've been very happy with these, best mesh I've had. The speed has been great, and the mesh works exceptionally well with wireless backhaul. There have been some "POS" posters around, yes, but once most of them have gotten to a firmware version that works well for them, they find happiness as well. Or just get rid of their XT8's, that's a personal choice that some make with any router or mesh system. But there are also a lot of us that are very happy with the performance of this mesh.

And are slightly flummoxed by a non-user fishing out bad postings as proof of how bad this is. I could find a posting or two about nearly any router that talks about how bad it is...but that doesn't speak to the experience of those of us that have actually enjoyed using this mesh.

Please, prepare to guide @colonelcasey223 and offer help in case of issues. I do not recommend XT8 not only based on user feedback, but also based on the hardware inside. It's an overpriced set driven by the same CPU found in the cheapest Asus AX-class router - RT-AX55.

The one I got from Amazon was a 2022 set on v1 hardware. I did note the disclaimer on the Asus support page stating firmware older than 2022 is no longer supported.

Any recommendations for a robust AX mesh WiFi system? I originally went for the XT8 mainly based on a bunch of reviews I read (specifically DongKnowsTech) and my general experience with Asus AiMesh (currently using a 68U and RP-AC1900). I looked at the XT9 but it didn't seem like the current $100 price premium it commanded was worth the slight difference in tech specs. And I really can't justify spending money on an XT12. Main reason driving the upgrade is that I'm looking to extend my WiFi network to a neighboring building 30 feet away with a future third and fourth node so I needed a better wireless backhaul than my current dual-band setup. But I'm open to other suggestions for a solution here.

So am I the only one on this forum with no issues with XT8 V1 using wireless backhaul and the GNUton Fork? Either I'm the luckiest sob around or I stumbled upon the perfect settings to make this work. Maybe I should post screenshots of my settings, although I'm sure that would result in tons of negative comments about why it won't work.
I've had my set for a coulple of years and have had no issues, even have a pair at my moms house and again no issues there (both setup for wireless backhaul). I reboot mine when I need to have her setup on a weekly reboot schedule. Be it stock firmware or Gnuton I have always had a stable system for my ownersip. I am looking to eventually upgrade to the XT12 if the price dips low enough :D.

Also thanks for the other users point out good experiences with the XT8. I still have it in the box and haven't made a decision yet whether I should start setting it up or not.

Also thanks for the other users point out good experiences with the XT8. I still have it in the box and haven't made a decision yet whether I should start setting it up or not.
If you purchased them from Amazon, go ahead and give them a try. You can always return them if they don’t work for you.

specifically DongKnowsTech

Don't read this website. I guess, you were going to use the Universal Settings Restoration too. I can't recommend any home "mesh" system for the planned 4x APs (or whatever they are called - nodes, satellites, pods) including wireless link between two buildings through two walls.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!