What's new

ASUS XT8 slow wifi speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zyntax

New Around Here
Backstory:
I bought the 2-pack version of this, brought it home and set it up. After I go through the trouble of configuring it, it says there's a firmware update, so I do that. I'm currently at 43181. Both the router and node are at the same version.

It's configured it with Smart Connect with the 5Ghz-2 backhaul (as I was having connectivity issues with them all split out) and that seems to be working OK. The main router is in my office at one end of the house, with my main PC wired straight into it, while the node is on the opposite side of the house (where most of the clients are at) separated by about 60 ft and a wall, but this is really irrelevent as I've turned off the node for this troubleshooting.

When I do a speedtest from my wired PC, I get the full speed (~ 930/930) so internet speed is not an issue. However, when I do the same test from any wireless client (like my Android phone, using the app) I only get about 100/100 give or take. I used to get less than that (around 70 or 80) but after forcing some wifi frequencies and channels, I got it up to where it's at now. As far as the professional settings go, everything is default except the only thing I've disabled is the universal beamforming. This is with my phone connected at 5Ghz (confirmed by my phone and the router) to the router just a couple of feet away. There's nothing around the router or in between it and my phone that would cause interference.

I know others are getting much faster speeds but I can't seem to get anywhere near that. I've factory reset these (router and node) multiple times since I've updated the firmware. QOS was turned off for this test (but it wouldn't matter since my desktop was getting full speeds with it on). I've used some wifi analyzers to see what's around me and my router is not fighting against anyone else on the frequencies/channels i've chosen.

Current settings (yields the fastest speeds)

2.4Ghz 40Mhz Channel 11 (forced)
5.0Ghz 80Mhz Channel 48 (forced)

I'm already contemplating returning this product for something else. What am I missing here?

Are you on Fios? ASUS has crappy upload speeds when used with them. Also, have you tried channel 157? That works best for me.

Are you on Fios? ASUS has crappy upload speeds when used with them. Also, have you tried channel 157? That works best for me.
I'm on AT&T Fiber, but the internet is not the issue as my speeds are fine from the speedtest to my wired desktop.

I assume you mean to set the backhaul to channel 157 (that's the only place I can set it). That's also irrelevent as I've removed the node and backhaul from this setup.

I have a very similar issue to you on Fios. Wired speeds are fine, but my wireless upload speed is terrible. I use 40 and 157 for the control channels and that seems to give me the best performance

No. There appears to be an issue with how ASUS handles fiber connections. It has nothing to do with your ISP.

I have AT&T Fiber and don't have this problem. I only have the 100mbps plan, though, so my max speed is around 125mbps. But it's consistent on everything I've tested.

Are you using the built-in speedtest? Not really sure what to call it... under Adaptive QOS -> Internet speed.

I have AT&T fiber gigabit. No problem with wired connections or wi-fi. I get 500+Mbps on wifi-6 with wireless backhaul. Right at the moment, I'm using MoCA backhaul, and only the 2.4GHz. and the 5GHz-2 radios. No smart connect, same SSID for both bands. Not using the 5GHz-1 radio. Works great.

Can you share any additional details on how you have things set up (i.e., specific settings)? I'd kill to get 500 down on my set up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!