What's new

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) struggling with Bittorrent traffic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kmaid

New Around Here
I upgraded ASUS RT-AC68U to a ZenWifi AX mesh network to solve some black spots within my home. This works great and I can get nearly the maximum speed (200mbs) where I had no wifi signal before!

I have noticed on my new 16 inch Macbook Pro when I download a torrent over wifi6 with qBittorent with the default settings of 500 connections my wireless network grinds to a halt (node with wireless backhaul too). I have had some success in reducing the connection numbers but it makes me feel like there is something wrong as the old router with Asus Merlin could do this without batting an eye.

Any suggestions on what/why this could be? I am on the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.386_46061-g9a06866.

Last edited:
Hi,

XT8/QBT running here too but wired, same FW updated this weekend. Nothing bad at this time.
Which QBT version?
It may comes from re-transmitted packets, may you give it a try by wire?

Hi,

XT8/QBT running here too but wired, same FW updated this weekend. Nothing bad at this time.
Which QBT version?
It may comes from re-transmitted packets, may you give it a try by wire?
4.3.9 the latest version. What do you mean by retransmitted packets? I don't really know what uTP is by TCP should be retransmitted if there is a problem and UDP wouldn't be?
Go to qBittorrent Settings, Connection, Peer Connection Protocol and change it to TCP. Test again.
I have changed this but any idea why a single device can bring down my network? It seems a little fragile when the old router handled it fine

4.3.9 the latest version. What do you mean by retransmitted packets? I don't really know what uTP is by TCP should be retransmitted if there is a problem and UDP wouldn't be?
A new version is there, 4.4.0 with a couple of issue due to major change. This is an interesting info for me that I report to QBT dev if related to the last version. Staying with 4.3.9 a bit more is fine. The re-transmitted packet is inherent to wifi connection and may kill it depending of software layer used. Testing with the same settings and a wire during a night or similar will help to define the correct scope of your issue and dodge the WiFi part of the laptop out of the equation. Your router is certainly capable to handle the load

Beside the advise of @Tech9 to use TCP only is coherent with this too.

The problem is the CPU. It's 1.5ghz cores are just not up to the job of routing all that torrent traffic.

I would replace it with an XT12 or an AX92u (cheaper). Both of these will be able to handle torrenting with at least 500 UDP or TCP connections

The problem is the CPU. It's 1.5ghz cores are just not up to the job of routing all that torrent traffic.

I would replace it with an XT12 or an AX92u (cheaper). Both of these will be able to handle torrenting with at least 500 UDP or TCP connections
Well I've a different experience, but the seed box is wired. The number of connections is often high (udp/tcp) ans XT8s are not a problem (even CPU load).