What's new

Asus ZenWifi XT8 - Access Point Mode - will the mesh work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aman_cc

New Around Here
Hello -
My ISP doesn't allow its router to be set in bridge mode. Hence, I will have to put the Asus XT8 mesh system in Access Point (AP) mode.

Question #1: Will the two units of XT8 work as "mesh" in AP mode? (i.e., same SSID and seamless transition between the two XT8's)

And Question #2: I will connect everything using CAT6 ethernet as below:
ISP modem+router -- <wired> -- 1st XT8 -- <wired> -2nd XT8
(Only that I'll have to put the XT8's in AP mode)

I hope the above will work? Thanks for your help

Hello -
My ISP doesn't allow its router to be set in bridge mode. Hence, I will have to put the Asus XT8 mesh system in Access Point (AP) mode.

Question #1: Will the two units of XT8 work as "mesh" in AP mode? (i.e., same SSID and seamless transition between the two XT8's)

And Question #2: I will connect everything using CAT6 ethernet as below:
ISP modem+router -- <wired> -- 1st XT8 -- <wired> -2nd XT8
(Only that I'll have to put the XT8's in AP mode)

I hope the above will work? Thanks for your help

A mesh system is just multiple APs administered from one central place with some "tweaks" to try to force roaming to work better. You can do all these things yourself by setting them up as independent APs.

Or you can run it in AiMesh mode and just have double routers/NAT if you want the centralized management and somewhat easier configuration of those "tweaks".

In either case your wiring above is fine.

@drinkingbird thanks. I am a complete noob and do not know any tweaks etc. So if I just change XT8 mode from router to AP (in the asus admin page) will it not work as "mesh"?
It is a costly router for me to purchase so I will not buy it if above wont work. Can you please guide further?

@drinkingbird thanks. I am a complete noob and do not know any tweaks etc. So if I just change XT8 mode from router to AP (in the asus admin page) will it not work as "mesh"?
It is a costly router for me to purchase so I will not buy it if above wont work. Can you please guide further?

If you set both to AP they will work as APs. You would then configure them to work as a mesh system based on how you configure the wifi settings. Or you can set the first one to "AiMesh router" and the second one to "AiMesh Node" and it will do most of the meshing stuff for you. It is fine to have two routers in a row.

You must have one set as a router to have it do the mesh "for you". Otherwise you must configure the two APs yourself.

If all you need is an AP, that box may be overkill/expensive though.

@drinkingbird Thanks again. Ideally, I would like to do minimal tweaking (I'm not too good at these things). I note two things in your response:

1. "It is fine to have two routers in a row." - I was doing all this as my ISP modem+router combo box can't be set in bridge mode - it will remain as a router. And I read you can't have 2 routers in a LAN - and you should setup one as AP. If it is fine to have two routers, as you say then I'm sorted.

But just to be sure I understand clearly, below (which is a default setup for XT8 I guess) will work then as per you?

ISP modem+router (this will remain a router due to ISP restriction) <---- <wired> ----> 1st XT8 (as MESH router) <-- <wired> ----> 2nd XT8 (as MESH node/AP)
Have I understood correctly?

2. "If all you need is an AP, that box may be overkill/expensive though." - So I do not know. My limitation/requirement is (A) ISP modem+combo can't be setup in bridge - and (B) I need to provide seamless wifi (without changing SSID) across the whole house. For (B) I went for mesh and for (A) I thought of putting them in AP mode. Happy to go with another more practical suggestion.

@drinkingbird Thanks again. Ideally, I would like to do minimal tweaking (I'm not too good at these things). I note two things in your response:

1. "It is fine to have two routers in a row." - I was doing all this as my ISP modem+router combo box can't be set in bridge mode - it will remain as a router. And I read you can't have 2 routers in a LAN - and you should setup one as AP. If it is fine to have two routers, as you say then I'm sorted.

But just to be sure I understand clearly, below (which is a default setup for XT8 I guess) will work then as per you?

ISP modem+router (this will remain a router due to ISP restriction) <---- <wired> ----> 1st XT8 (as MESH router) <-- <wired> ----> 2nd XT8 (as MESH node/AP)
Have I understood correctly?

2. "If all you need is an AP, that box may be overkill/expensive though." - So I do not know. My limitation/requirement is (A) ISP modem+combo can't be setup in bridge - and (B) I need to provide seamless wifi (without changing SSID) across the whole house. For (B) I went for mesh and for (A) I thought of putting them in AP mode. Happy to go with another more practical suggestion.

Yes you've understood perfectly. The only time having two routers in a row like that can really be a problem is if you have game consoles that require UPNP (automatic port forwarding) to work. However in cases like that, most ISP routers let you put your own router into "DMZ mode" which solves that problem. There are other workarounds too if they don't support DMZ mode. Less and less these days relies on UPNP anyway. If you have nothing that requires inbound port forwarding (whether static or automatic) then just ignore that whole part, not a concern for you.

If you want easy mesh setup and management, then the two XT8s as you've outlined above will do just that. You can also use a less expensive Asus router as part of your aimesh system (as long as it is a model that supports Aimesh), but the XT8 actually doesn't look that expensive for what it is, and will give you a single model/firmware/GUI and keep things simple. Since you won't be using wireless backhaul, you'll have two separate 5ghz bands at your disposal on each node which you can set up with two different SSIDs to balance your traffic out and get more wireless bandwidth. Or just don't use the second one if that isn't something you need.

In reality, having the two routers lets you have better security, not knowing how good the firewall in your ISP router is (plus they have control over the firmware and can remotely access their router), having two layers of firewall, NAT, etc is a good thing. If there is a vulnerability in their router, likely it won't be in your router, and vice-versa.

So if you want the convenience of Aimesh, go for the dual XT8s running AiMesh. If you are ok with setting up and tweaking two individual APs, you can use whatever brands/models you want and set them up to be the same as a "mesh" it just requires more involvement and configuration on your part. For some, not using AIMesh gives them more flexibility, for others, the convenience is worth it. In your case it sounds like leaning toward convenience since you are new to this and probably don't want to get into tweaking everything separately on the two devices.

To put it simply - Aimesh = auto mesh. Two independent routers/aps = manual mesh. Either way, the wiring you have above works.

Obviously the "left" side of each XT8 in your flow above is the WAN port, and the right side is the LAN port. You can even hang a wired device off the 2nd XT8 LAN port if needed (a PC or whatever).

The statement "can't have two routers in a LAN" is too broad. There are certain ways you could wire them that it might cause problems, but what you have above is perfectly fine and done by probably tens or hundreds of thousands of people all the time due to having the same ISP limitations as you.

It would be nice if Asus or someone else would come out with a mesh mode that lets you run them all in AP mode rather than requiring one to be a router, but it really isn't a big deal, in fact may even be better like I said to have that second router.

Last edited:
@drinkingbird super thanks for explaining it so clearly. I'll go for easier to do option :)
And also thanks for explaining that having two router will not be a problem. much appreciated

@drinkingbird super thanks for explaining it so clearly. I'll go for easier to do option :)
And also thanks for explaining that having two router will not be a problem. much appreciated

No problem. One other benefit of AiMesh, if you set up a guest network, it will propagate automatically to both XT8s (if you tell it to, the option is right in the guest network setup) and maintain the isolation from your main LAN on both of them (as long as you disable "access intranet" on the guest network). That is a nice feature of Aimesh which it won't do if you configure them as "standalone" APs, at least not without custom scripting.

So even someone connected to a guest network on the second XT8 will only have access to the internet, and nothing else that is connected to either XT8.

Oh, forgot to mention, disable wifi in the ISP router (they should allow you to do that). Just unnecessary interference with your XT8s.

Not that easy with XT8. The routers are matched set and setting the second in AP Mode jumps to AiMesh node when the first is running.

For AiMesh in AP Mode, @aman_cc:

Looks like the XT8s will actually work with aimesh with both as APs too, but you lose many of the features of router mode. For OPs use case I think keeping the router mode is probably better, I like to isolate the ISP device since it isn't under my control. Though I have set people up with an AP hanging off their ISP router, not that big of a deal.

Oh, forgot to mention, disable wifi in the ISP router (they should allow you to do that). Just unnecessary interference with your XT8s.
Yes I have an old TP-Link Archer C9 - I tried to setup as you suggested (just as an experiment before I shell my $$s). See below:

ISP modem+router (this will remain a router due to ISP restriction) <---- <wired (plugged into the WAN port of Archer C9> ----> TP-Link Archer C9 (in ROUTER mode)

Work perfectly - (clients both wired and wireless connected to C9) ! (Hope now it's the same with the XT8s I'll get :))

A quick Q: In the above setup any specific setting I need to do on either of the routers (ISP one OR the C9)? (like disable DHCP or DNS etc. etc. on any one etc). Right now, I just did a quick default setup for Archer C9

(And yes I disabled wifi in ISP router)

Thanks @drinkingbird

Yes I have an old TP-Link Archer C9 - I tried to setup as you suggested (just as an experiment before I shell my $$s). See below:

ISP modem+router (this will remain a router due to ISP restriction) <---- <wired (plugged into the WAN port of Archer C9> ----> TP-Link Archer C9 (in ROUTER mode)

Work perfectly - (clients both wired and wireless connected to C9) ! (Hope now it's the same with the XT8s I'll get :))

A quick Q: In the above setup any specific setting I need to do on either of the routers (ISP one OR the C9)? (like disable DHCP or DNS etc. etc. on any one etc). Right now, I just did a quick default setup for Archer C9

(And yes I disabled wifi in ISP router)

Thanks @drinkingbird

No, leaving DHCP on both is fine (that lets the archer/XT8 get an IP automatically, instead of you having to set a static). If you did end up needing to do DMZ on the ISP device, in that case you'd probably want to do a static IP on the Asus WAN, but even then you can leave DHCP enabled on their router without hurting anything.

Depending what DNS IPs your ISP router hands out to your router, you may want to tweak that. If you are receiving a DNS IP in the same range as the Asus WAN IP (probably 192.168.x.x) then setting your TP-Link/Asus to point to "real" internet servers will speed up DNS some, having that extra hop in there is not needed. But I believe most ISP routers hand out their preferred direct DNS IPs and don't proxy them through the router. Typically they'll give you two IPs automatically, and the asus will pick the faster one and use that as primary.

As it turns out, it looks like the XT8s can actually run Aimesh and both be in AP mode. That is a new feature it looks like (vs other systems). If that is the case, you could try that. However you do lose some of the features like QOS, AiProtection, etc. And honestly, protecting your network from a possible hack of the ISP router is not a bad thing. So I think using dual router mode is probably still the way to go. But if you don't need those extra features (and the security thing isn't actually that big of a concern), you can try doing AP only mode. It doesn't gain you much though, far less than a millisecond in extra latency.