What's new

Asus ZenWiFi XT8 and DSL-AC88U - How to best make use of this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MattBoothDev

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for advice on this setup.

I'm currently using a DSL-AC88U for my UK EE connection. It has to be at one side of the house near the BT inlet, so the other side, especially upstairs, suffers deadzones/spots.

I've read the good and the bad about the ZenWifi but I've decided to go for it.

I know the DSL-AC88U can't take part in AiMesh network due to firmware differences (I suspect it could as the hardware is almost identical to the RT-AC88U, with the VDSL modem being an addition).

Could I use the AC88U's Wifi and have the ZenWifi do PPPoE to connect with my ISP, with the AC88U being a secondary router, modem and the ZenWifi being the primary node, main router and gateway?

Hi @L&LD, thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, my thoughts were using the DSL-AC88U as an access point for some legacy devices and have the ZenWiFi be the main WiFi we all use.

One question is, as I've no experience with AiMesh, would the base Zen need to be the gateway as well?

Yes, both an AiMesh node (either wired or wireless) and an AP (wired only) need to be connected to the main router. AiMesh and AP modes are mutually exclusive. Even if they share similar usage patterns.

Now that I've thought about it a little, If I'm not mistaken, the DSL line of routers cannot be used because they have no WAN Ethernet port though?

Yes, both an AiMesh node (either wired or wireless) and an AP (wired only) need to be connected to the main router. AiMesh and AP modes are mutually exclusive. Even if they share similar usage patterns.

Now that I've thought about it a little, If I'm not mistaken, the DSL line of routers cannot be used because they have no WAN Ethernet port though?
The DSL-AC88U does have a WAN port, as it happens :D

That sounds ok, then. I just wondered whether the ZenWifi would want to be the gateway if it was to create the mesh. But it sounds like I could just wire them up to my switch (switch to Node WAN port, right?) and they'd be fine?

@L&LD thanks for the tip.

I connected the ZenWiFi to my switch and set it to AP mode.

Is there a way to confirm I'm using a 6GHz backhaul? It appears to be checked in the settings.

Sorry, I am not familiar at all with XT8's. Someone else will jump in here though, shortly.

@Kapet thanks for replying.

Yes that's right. I got that mixed up with 160MHz backhaul.

I've been able to confirm using a WiFi scanner on my phone that the backhaul is indeed running at 160MHz.

I've only been using this kit a couple of days but I'm very impressed so far. I have a PC wired into the node which is able to get 900Mbps to my NAS which is excellent.