What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49873 (2022/08/04)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm in the US on the latest firmware. I can't figure out how to activate U-NII-4. I don't even see that option in the wireless settings.

edit- Nevermind, I figured it out. You have to set wireless to auto first, then that option becomes available.

This is great- it's also an added level security because not many (none that I have anyways) can see my backchannel now.

Last edited:
Well, I do have another client, my other XT8 *smile*. I'm using the UNIII-4 channels for 160MHz. channel width mesh backhaul, works very well. Nice addition to the XT8's.
Yeah, that. AFAICS, the XT8's 5GHz-1 radio can only handle the lower 5GHz channels (36-48) while the 5GHz-2 radio handles only the upper ones. That radio can reach the U-NII-4 band, so you can use those new channels, but only on 5GHz-2. The normal setup of an XT8 dedicates 5GHz-2 to backhaul, ergo backhaul is what you can use those channels for ... unless you jump through hoops configuration-wise. What with the shortage of clients that can use those channels, I'm not sure there's any point to jumping through said hoops. But hey, it's some clear spectrum for backhaul, at least till your neighbors buy new gear.

Yeah, that. AFAICS, the XT8's 5GHz-1 radio can only handle the lower 5GHz channels (36-48) while the 5GHz-2 radio handles only the upper ones. That radio can reach the U-NII-4 band, so you can use those new channels, but only on 5GHz-2. The normal setup of an XT8 dedicates 5GHz-2 to backhaul, ergo backhaul is what you can use those channels for ... unless you jump through hoops configuration-wise. What with the shortage of clients that can use those channels, I'm not sure there's any point to jumping through said hoops. But hey, it's some clear spectrum for backhaul, at least till your neighbors buy new gear.

Even when your neighbors take advantage of those frequencies, one of the good things about the 5GHz. band is that it doesn't travel very far due to attenuation by exterior walls, etc.. I do see some neighbor's 5GHz. networks, but they are considerably attenuated. 2.4GHz. on the other hand, is a zoo around here *smile*. Unless you live in an apartment, but even then the 5GHz. band most likely looks better than 2.4GHz.in that case.

So I was on the very old firmware, like 4095 or something.
Yesterday, I saw an amber light on all my XT8s. They run in satellite mode to my GT-1000AX.
I don't know why it auto updated when I had that off.

Anyway, I rebooted the nodes from the main router and couldn't get them to connect.
Rebooted my main router this AM and it all just connected.

I have nothing to offer but wanted to say that. Also LED is now white so I guess it is all good.

I'm currently on 49873 and my system drops a couple of times per day. I've been on this firmware for couple of months and just started noticing this a few weeks back (though maybe it happened previously). I never had any issues before "upgrading" the firmware but I'm not sure what firmware I was on before this one.

Basically I'll notice because my laptop will drop. Then I check and all devices lost internet. Then I check the main node and it's green flashing light (rebooting?). Reading the forum, it seems like this has happened to many people. It happened again this morning. The first log entry I can see around that time is:

rc_service: ntp 2939:notify_rc restart_diskmon

I just turned off QoS and also disabled 160 backhaul (I'm in the US). It's annoying when I drop out of conference calls. Anyone have any advice for me? I saw somewhere that someone said Version 9.0.0.4.386.46980 Beta Version was a stable build so I downloaded it but haven't tried to flash yet.

Anyone have advice for me? For now I plan to wait and see if QoS and eliminating 160 helps. Next step will be to roll back. Any other thoughts? Thanks so much!

I'm currently on 49873 and my system drops a couple of times per day. I've been on this firmware for couple of months and just started noticing this a few weeks back (though maybe it happened previously). I never had any issues before "upgrading" the firmware but I'm not sure what firmware I was on before this one.

Basically I'll notice because my laptop will drop. Then I check and all devices lost internet. Then I check the main node and it's green flashing light (rebooting?). Reading the forum, it seems like this has happened to many people. It happened again this morning. The first log entry I can see around that time is:

rc_service: ntp 2939:notify_rc restart_diskmon

I just turned off QoS and also disabled 160 backhaul (I'm in the US). It's annoying when I drop out of conference calls. Anyone have any advice for me? I saw somewhere that someone said Version 9.0.0.4.386.46980 Beta Version was a stable build so I downloaded it but haven't tried to flash yet.

Anyone have advice for me? For now I plan to wait and see if QoS and eliminating 160 helps. Next step will be to roll back. Any other thoughts? Thanks so much!

Yes, have you tried factory resetting your router nodes? It can be a hassle depending on how many nodes you have. The general advice is to flash firmware, and don't bother to factory reset unless there are problems. Well, sounds like it's time for you to do a factory reset for each node:

At least you'll be starting from a clean baseline for any subsequent troubleshooting. By the way, 49873 was stable for me, as is the latest firmware. I did have to do the factory reset thing when upgrading from the "386" to "388" (latest) firmware, fixed the problem that I was seeing.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the advice. I didn't do a full factory reset yet. I rebooted everything multiple times but was hoping I wouldn't have to reconfigure all of the settings. You're probably right that it's time for that... or revert to 46980

Worst case, you might revert and still find you have to do a factory reset. The thing that triggers that is minor incompatibilities between firmware versions as to what is in the configuration file. A downgrade is, if anything, more of a risk that way than an upgrade --- because ASUS should have tested that upgrading works cleanly, but it's unlikely they test downgrades.

So yeah, I'd suggest trying a reset first. And if that doesn't help, and you end up reverting, you might need another one after the firmware revert.

Thanks everyone. I ended up doing a factory reset yesterday morning. It only ended up taking me about an hour to reconfigure everything. One whole day without dropping so far! That's an improvement. Currently on 49873.

Came back to this firmware after trying the new Beta Asus was offering. Fully functional, has traffic statistics, working great the last few days. I'm staying on this firmware *smile*. Don't really need Wireguard or the rest of the stuff in 388 firmware family at this point, so all good.

Last edited:
All of a sudden yesterday it started dropping again pretty often. Super frustrating. Don't want to "upgrade" to the most recent firmware because I see lots of complaints about instability there as well. From what I've read 42095 is the last / only stable build but I don't see that as an option in the ASUS Firmware site. Thoughts?

From what I've read 42095 is the last / only stable build but I don't see that as an option in the ASUS Firmware site. Thoughts?
IIRC, it is still present on the site but you need to know the exact URL because their front-page index doesn't show it. Searching these forums should turn up the link.

Thanks I'll try to find it. Any other stable builds people recommend? I don't need anything special. Just don't want it to drop 10 times a day... Particularly during conference calls.

Thanks I'll try to find it. Any other stable builds people recommend? I don't need anything special. Just don't want it to drop 10 times a day... Particularly during conference calls.
Same as you, I am looking for some stability with my mesh.

I have four XT8 running the latest official stable firmware (.388.22068). One node has ethernet backhaul and the other two wireless (5GHz, dedicated 20/40/80/160, everything else on auto).

The setup worked flawlessly for like a year, but problems started 4-6 months ago (don't recall exactly when).

One XT8 often disconnects or moves from 5 to 2.4. Many clients are constantly moving around nodes (falling back to the main router even if the signal is weak), to the extent that after fews days, some devices drop from the network and require a physical reboot (e.g. Google Minis do this a lot).

I originally attributed these issues to external factors (new IOT devices and other changes I made at home) and I was about to get the house rewired to have ethernet backhauls everywhere.

Then I found out that pretty much everyone has mesh issues with the .388 releases.

Is it worth giving a try with a factory reset of .388.22068 or it is pointless?
I am keen to hear from those that had problems with this version if they really had better luck after a factory reset.

Better to move back to .386.42095 (I understand there are security concerns)?

Incidentally - a few people suggest a factory reset after a firmware update so the settings default to the factory-optimized from Asus, for the specific firmware version (IMHO if this is true Asus should really address this by forcing new settings over updates). Wouldn't be quicker to copy these values from screenshots of the various wireless/professional setting pages? So much easier than playing around 4 nodes.

Is it worth giving a try with a factory reset of .388.22068 or it is pointless?

There are definitely reports of people having fixed their issues via factory-reset-and-reconfigure-by-hand. Not sure if that's been reported with this specific firmware version, but it's common lore that sometimes it helps. It's worth a try before you downgrade the firmware, especially since you might well have to do the reset-and-reconfigure dance after downgrading too.

Incidentally - a few people suggest a factory reset after a firmware update so the settings default to the factory-optimized from Asus, for the specific firmware version (IMHO if this is true Asus should really address this by forcing new settings over updates). Wouldn't be quicker to copy these values from screenshots of the various wireless/professional setting pages? So much easier than playing around 4 nodes.
My take is it's less about "optimized settings" and more about "ASUS firmware is very buggy about dealing with configuration data written by a different firmware version". You would think they could cope with that better, but hard experience says they don't.

You definitely want to take some good notes about your current configuration choices before you start. Whether those are in the form of screenshots of all the config web pages, or something else, is up to you. But screenshots won't help you realize whether a difference is because you changed something before, or the new firmware version actually does have a different default (in which case you might want to leave that setting alone). So I like to have written notes about all the settings I intentionally changed from default.

As replied in the other thread, my network is back on business with 49873.
I didn't do any factory reset - just plain downgrade.

I am still perplexed by the idea of factory resetting devices after firmware upgrades: if the issue is about data structures not compatible across firmware versions it shouldn't work outright, and not become unstable. Unless it is about settings that might be optimal for version X but suboptimal for version Y. I'll keep an eye on my setup and try out a factory reset if I ever decide to update again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!