What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware Version 9.0.0.4.388.21101 Beta Version (2022/10/27 )

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dodgydrains

Regular Contributor
Version: 9.0.0.4.388.21101

2022/10/27 46.66 MBytes

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.21101
Improved 5GHz backhaul stability.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 047808bccd6a1cd2cd16238e367c9c2a

I tested an offline beta from Asus, which fixed all my issues with lockup due to insufficient RAM on multi Xt8 setups (4 x XT8's in my setup). This may be the online version of that fix.

I’m about 4 hours in now - did not do a hard reset. 1 router, 1 node. Speed seems good but time will tell.

Flashed this one yesterday, mesh was fine, and woke this morning finding "dpi engine not found" in the system log. Went to look at the Traffic Analyzer, and yep, data tracking stopped last night when I flashed this Beta version. So I did a reset on both XT8's to see if that was the source of the problem, and after that could no longer find the remote node, no mesh. Did a lot of fiddling around, including flashing 49873 on the router node, and configuring the remote node as router so that I could flash 49873 on it. Still was not able to find the remote node from the router.

So I figure that I'll have to configure the remote node as a router again, do a more severe reset from the web admin GUI, and try again. For the moment I'm on my GT-AX6000, which is working fine. As long as the Nest Cam on the front exterior of my house hangs on 2.4GHz. (one bar of wi-fi), we're okay.

So, be cautious, this firmware version put/left something on my node(s) that isn't allowing the remote node to be found from the router node, and wasn't removed by the WPS button reset. And it may not have Traffic Analyzer as well. Got some work to do here after already spending a couple of hours doing various exercises to try to get the router to find the remote node. I haven't had this problem before, so for the moment I'm attributing it to this Beta firmware. We'll see...for a firmware version that was supposed to increase the backhaul stability, I'm not seeing it *smile*.

Update: Yes, using the more extensive factory reset from the web admin GUI has allowed the mesh to start working again. Glad to see that. Going to stay away from this Beta now *smile*.

Last edited:
Flashed this one yesterday, mesh was fine, and woke this morning finding "dpi engine not found" in the system log. Went to look at the Traffic Analyzer, and yep, data tracking stopped last night when I flashed this Beta version. So I did a reset on both XT8's to see if that was the source of the problem, and after that could no longer find the remote node, no mesh. Did a lot of fiddling around, including flashing 49873 on the router node, and configuring the remote node as router so that I could flash 49873 on it. Still was not able to find the remote node from the router.

So I figure that I'll have to configure the remote node as a router again, do a more severe reset from the web admin GUI, and try again. For the moment I'm on my GT-AX6000, which is working fine. As long as the Nest Cam on the front exterior of my house hangs on 2.4GHz. (one bar of wi-fi), we're okay.

So, be cautious, this firmware version put/left something on my node(s) that isn't allowing the remote node to be found from the router node, and wasn't removed by the WPS button reset. And it may not have Traffic Analyzer as well. Got some work to do here after already spending a couple of hours doing various exercises to try to get the router to find the remote node. I haven't had this problem before, so for the moment I'm attributing it to this Beta firmware. We'll see...for a firmware version that was supposed to increase the backhaul stability, I'm not seeing it *smile*.

Update: Yes, using the more extensive factory reset from the web admin GUI has allowed the mesh to start working again. Glad to see that. Going to stay away from this Beta now *smile*.
thanks for sharing your experience. just a question, after doing a factory reset, do you import the conf backup or you don't do that and configure everything manually?

How’s the ram usage on this one? Last update brought my setup of two, almost 10% higher. Used to hover around 75 and now is around 83.

How’s the ram usage on this one? Last update brought my setup of two, almost 10% higher. Used to hover around 75 and now is around 83.

just a general remark, nothing to do with any version, i haven't tried the beta and am on 3.0.0.4.386.49873. RAM usage is not necessarily a problem per se.. it will will fluctuate depending on the options/functionality being used and implemented. it's when there are memory leaks and that there are out of memory issues that it becomes a problem. if it's consistently hovering around a certain value or goes up and down and doesn't crash the router, etc imho that's normal and personally i wouldn't worry about it too much.

quite honestly, when I finally find some enterprise or small office APs which I like and with wireless mesh I'll probably switch.. I'm tired of this firmware roulette.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing your experience. just a question, after doing a factory reset, do you import the conf backup or you don't do that and configure everything manually?

i usually do manual reconfiuration after a factory reset. Things are simple enough here it doesn't take me very long.

I've been running the beta for 24+ hours. I have a wired back haul. No issues so far. The latest non-beta version was causing the node to drop off and start blinking red, until I rebooted it.

I've been running the beta for 24+ hours. I have a wired back haul. No issues so far. The latest non-beta version was causing the node to drop off and start blinking red, until I rebooted it.
I have been running this beta for 6 days now. For my use case it has been very stable without any lockups.

Version: 9.0.0.4.388.21101

2022/10/27 46.66 MBytes

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.21101
Improved 5GHz backhaul stability.

MD5: 047808bccd6a1cd2cd16238e367c9c2a

I tested an offline beta from Asus, which fixed all my issues with lockup due to insufficient RAM on multi Xt8 setups (4 x XT8's in my setup). This may be the online version of that fix.
This didn't have a stable connection for me. I use a wireless backhaul with 2 nodes. The connection would drop after a few hours or flip to 2.4ghz. Doing a hard reset didn't change this behaviour. Went back to 48966 which does give a stable connection.

Had to revert to 48706, this kept dropping the node until it eventually wouldn’t come back online. Frustrating ASUS firmware updates - one step forward two steps back.

Flashed this beta firmware to my two XT8's at beginning of the month. Had a couple of random resets so reverted back to 3.0.0.4.386.49873 which I have been running fine until the system crashed suddenly and reset twice yesterday late evening. Was stable again this morning so I checked for any firmware update using the router web interface and was presented with an available update: 3.0.0.4.388_21617. Interesting that this firmware does not even appear on official Asus support page, nor has anyone seemed to have mentioned it within this forum, so I guess it must be hot off the Asus firmware press and only available through router login! System seems very stable so far, although only been up and running a couple of hours.
Just thought I should bring this update to the attention of the group.

I was also surprised today when I was offered the update, only some time later I read the release information. Only the QOS and Traffic-analyzer still do not work again after an interim beta function. Probably I have to install an older update to get that again.
Holger

Flashed this beta firmware to my two XT8's at beginning of the month. Had a couple of random resets so reverted back to 3.0.0.4.386.49873 which I have been running fine until the system crashed suddenly and reset twice yesterday late evening. Was stable again this morning so I checked for any firmware update using the router web interface and was presented with an available update: 3.0.0.4.388_21617. Interesting that this firmware does not even appear on official Asus support page, nor has anyone seemed to have mentioned it within this forum, so I guess it must be hot off the Asus firmware press and only available through router login! System seems very stable so far, although only been up and running a couple of hours.
Just thought I should bring this update to the attention of the group.

ah, it's on the european sites... I think I'll just stick to whatever version I'm running (lost track already). Seems to be only applicable to the v1 hardware version of of the XT8, had no idea there were other hardware versions but not surprised....

The firmware will probably be on the site within 1 day (not the first time that router detects the new version before the official release)

Anyway...

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_21617
- Release Note -

Bug Fixes and Improvements:
1. Optimized memory usage and improved system stability.
2. Fixed 2.5G port compatibility issues.
3. Fixed USB HDD compatibility issue with the Time machine.
4. Added a new web GUI login URL http://www.asusrouter.com
5. Fixed IPTV compatibility issue with Movistar.
6. Fixed VPN fusion, AiMesh, and Network map GUI bugs.
7. Fixed WAN compatibility issue with Starlink router.
8. Fixed miniupnpc vulnerabilities, CVE-2015-603, CVE-2017-1000494
9. Fixed IPSec server vulnerability, CVE-2022-40617

Released officially on the site...

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21617
This version of firmware is only applicable to ZenWIFI XT8 of V1 version hardware, please check the product label before utilizing. You can check the hardware version from the product SN label or box label.

1. Optimized memory usage and improved system stability.
2. Fixed 2.5G port compatibility issues.
3. Fixed USB HDD compatibility issue with the Time machine.
4. Added a new web GUI login URL http://www.asusrouter.com
5. Fixed IPTV compatibility issue with Movistar.
6. Fixed VPN fusion, AiMesh, and Network map GUI bugs.
7. Fixed WAN compatibility issue with Starlink router.
8. Fixed miniupnpc vulnerabilities, CVE-2015-603, CVE-2017-1000494
9. Fixed IPSec server vulnerability, CVE-2022-40617

MD5: 82fb58213e09f954ce01cc0dc3ca4186

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!