What's new

Asus86U OpenVPN for specific ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mustafer

New Around Here
I have 2 A68U routers, 1 as a main router and a 2nd as an AP (hardwired)

I am currently using the latest Merlin firmware on the router and was able to setup OpenVPN and use Policy Based routing to forward specific ports to OpenVPN. It worked but today some of the clients couldn’t connect anymore and show “No internet Connection” and I had to restore to factory settings to make everything work again.

My problem is the reliability of the Merlin firmware, it sometimes hangs or gets stuck even though it offers so much flexibility.

My question is will it be possible to use OpenVPN and route traffic for specific ports to the VPN on the stock firmware without using Merlin?

The other option is to use an Edge Router with OpenVPN and then use the 2 Asus 86U routers as access points, but not sure if I will get the same performance as using the ASUS86U as a router and for OpenVPN.

I want to unblock some of the voip ports by forwarding the traffic to a VPN while keeping the WAN traffic operating normally.

Asus86U and A68U are not model numbers.

I am currently using the latest Merlin firmware on the router and was able to setup OpenVPN and use Policy Based routing to forward specific ports to OpenVPN.
Are you forwarding ports or IP addresses? Policy Based routing only forwards by IP address. If you want to forward individual ports you need to use a script.

Reactions: a5m
Asus86U and A68U are not model numbers.

Are you forwarding ports or IP addresses? Policy Based routing only forwards by IP address. If you want to forward individual ports you need to use a script.

I am using a script and it’s in /jffs/scripts/nat-start from the link below
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki/Policy-based-Port-routing-(manual-method)

I am able to add rules to it but it stopped working and if I reboot router doesn’t allow the IPs to connect anymore. I put the range for IPs 192.168.20.20 to 192.168.20.253 and the blocked ports

When I add rules to nat-start how can I restart the service or apply them? Or do I need to restart the router ?