What's new

asuscomm.com DDNS down?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fyi, I just tested this for a customer and it seems to be working now. :)

No need to apologize. :)

As long as we can understand the full story, I think we can better appreciate the 'extras' that certain companies do for their customers.

Some may still think that it is built into the price. But there are many other benefits of owning an Asus router that outweigh even the few negatives about them. Compared to other consumer router manufacturers, Asus is head and shoulders above them when all important areas are equally compared and weighed.

Agree. this ddns thing was really unpleasant to me until I realized I blame wrongly at this point and see bad side more than usual due to the bad mood.

Nope. Not for me.
I haven't needed to use remote access to my network for a while - so I don't know (when) Asus DDNS stopped working - but as of last night 22-may-2016, it was not working.
I also get the same error pop-up that is in the original post here.
Please also note that I'm using stock ASUS firmware 9313 on an 87u.

I have had to set my remote connections to use the IP address for now - as that's the only way it will work.

I hope ASUS fixes their DDNS issue soon.

Forget it. I just registered on no-ip.com and got it working there.
I hope it proves to be more reliable than asuscomm.com
So far no-ip.com is working for me.

Hi everyone,

I don't know if I'm alone with this, but I still experience issue with asus ddns. I'm monitoring my line on the Dslreports web site and since the asus ddns is back online it's register my new ip address (I have reboot my router since then) but sometimes it reverts back to my old ip address before the down time. So my monitoring is on and off with my asus ddns name but everything is fine if I enter directly my ip address.
There is no hint in the router log.
If I check my ip with the iplookup tool on the router ddns page it shows my actual ip address, but a moment later my old one. It's done the same if I ping my ddns on my terminal.

I have reboot multiple time the router. Disable the ddns and reenable it. Still the same.
I have the RT-Ac87U with merlin's latest.
Thanks

EDIT: My internet seem fine. No downtime nor slowdown.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I don't know if I'm alone with this, but I still experience issue with asus ddns. I'm monitoring my line on the Dslreports web site and since the asus ddns is back online it's register my new ip address (I have reboot my router since then) but sometimes it reverts back to my old ip address before the down time. So my monitoring is on and off with my asus ddns name but everything is fine if I enter directly my ip address.
If I check my ip with the iplookup tool on the router ddns page it shows my actual ip address, but a moment later my old one. It's done the same if I ping my ddns on my terminal.

I have reboot multiple time the router. Disable the ddns and reenable it. Still the same.
Thanks

Hi psyc0ld,

I'd like to guess this may caused by dns cache sync.

If you only tested with a single device, I'd like to suggest you to try these depending on different OS:

[Windows based devices]
===========================
I> Overall
1. run Command prompt
2. type "ipconfig /flushdns" then enter.
3. you should see "Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache."
II> Chrome
1. put "chrome://net-internals/#dns" on your navigation bar, enter, and click "Clear host cache" button.

[Linux]
I> dnsmasq
1. sudo /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart
II> nscd
1. sudo /etc/init.d/nscd restart
III> bind server
1. /etc/init.d/named restart

Good luck,
Cheers.

W.Hak

Hi psyc0ld,

I'd like to guess this may caused by dns cache sync.

If you only tested with a single device, I'd like to suggest you to try these depanding on different OS:

[Windows based devices]
I> Overall
1. run Command prompt
2. type "ipconfig /flushdns" then enter.
3. you should see "Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache."
II> Chrome
1. put "chrome://net-internals/#dns" on your navigation bar, enter, and click "Clear host cache" button.

[Linux]
I> dnsmasq
1. sudo /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart
II> nscd
1. sudo /etc/init.d/nscd restart
III> bind server
1. /etc/init.d/named restart

Good luck,
Cheers.

W.Hak

Thanks for your replie, I'm on mac actually. But I'll try with a different mac and I'll report back.
I just found the command for mac, I'll test more.

No luck. I've enter the command from the apple support site without any luck. I still get my old ip address when I tried to ping my ddns address.

No luck. I've enter the command from the apple support site without any luck. I still get my old ip address when I tried to ping my ddns address.

sorry for that, maybe try this to exclude the problem from your current DNS server.

type this command in terminal.

nslookup YOURDOMAIN.com 8.8.8.8

you could try different DNS servers by replacing 8.8.8.8, then watch and compare the results.

Good luck.
Hak.

Code:
xxx:~ $ nslookup xxx.asuscomm.com

Server:        192.168.0.1

Address:    192.168.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    xxx.asuscomm.com

Address: 107.179.155.111

xxx:~ xxx$ nslookup xxx.asuscomm.com 8.8.8.8

Server:        8.8.8.8

Address:    8.8.8.8#53

I get both my old ip address.

But, 1 min later just to make sure.

Code:
xxx:~ $ nslookup xxx.asuscomm.com 8.8.8.8

Address: 69.165.xxx.xxx
This is my actual ip address..

Code:
xxx:~ $ nslookup xxx.asuscomm.com

Server:        192.168.0.1

Address:    192.168.0.1#53

xxx:~ xxx$ nslookup xxx.asuscomm.com 8.8.8.8

I get both my old ip address.

But, 1 min later just to make sure.

Code:
xxx:~ $ nslookup xxx.asuscomm.com 8.8.8.8

Address: 69.165.xxx.xxx
This is my actual ip address..

That's weird.

If many stand-alone DNS servers have the same result, asus ddns has more more suspects in my opinion.

but in my case I also get a dynamic ip internet, since the asus ddns service back online, I have already 3-4 times IP changes been submitted and I didn't meet this issue.

Hak.

I may let it go for a fews days and see what happen. Otherwise I may be tempt to go with no-ip or dyndns..
First time in two years something like that happens.

psyc0ld this has to do with your DNS configuration and is not related to the Asus DDNS service. You might want to try and change DNS servers to Google's or OpenDNS ones and as you said give it sometime. Also try it on a PC or laptop if possible and see if the result is the same. If you have Android or idevice try it there as well and compare the results you get.

psyc0ld this has to do with your DNS configuration and is not related to the Asus DDNS service. You might want to try and change DNS servers to Google's or OpenDNS ones and as you said give it sometime. Also try it on a PC or laptop if possible and see if the result is the same. If you have Android or idevice try it there as well and compare the results you get.

How can it be related to the DNS? Sorry I don't know much about DNS.
I just changed it to the 8.8.8.8 from Google. For now, I'm at work and I can't connect to my VPN which used my DDNS name, and if I check nslookup from Asus it shows my old IP address.
Thanks

Hi everyone,

Thanks

I am having the exact same issue. I tried nslookup on multiple computers (even between different cities), and nslookups on multiple websites (including the one from asus): They all alternate between returning my actual WAN IP and an old one in a ~1-5min interval. So I don't think this has to do with any (local) DNS configuration as people suggested.

I wrote a mail to asus support, but only got a "reset your router" reply - which I did, but that didn't fix the problem. Will try writing them again...

Edit: I should add that I run the RT-AC55U with the asus firmware 3.0.0.4.378_6117.

Last edited:
Try switching to a different DDNS name, then switch back to your old one, to see if it might force a refresh

Try switching to a different DDNS name, then switch back to your old one, to see if it might force a refresh

This seems to have fixed it. I tried switching to another name, and switched back a few minutes later. That didn't help. I then tried it again without switching back to the original for a longer while (left it over night) and after that the original domain didn't return any IP - I switched back to the original and now it looks like it is working alright. Even after getting a new IP nslookup always returns it correctly again.