What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 (continued)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What you are describing may be due to this feature.

But since I disabled smart connect by giving 2.4ghz and 5ghz-1 bands two different ssids and what I am describing is only about the transition in the 5ghz-1 band, this doesn't really fit. :(

Another idea from here: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...3200-smart-connect-the-missing-manual?start=1
My settings in Smart Connect are:
Window Time: 60 seconds
Counts: 2
Dwell Time: 180 seconds

My read is: a client can move between router-node only 2 times in 1 minute.
If it tries to move the 3rd time, it will not be able to do that smoothly.

I noticed that if I am moving through the house repeatedly in a short time window, roaming doesn't take place anymore. But I have no need to move that often other than for testing.

What you are describing may be due to this feature.

Smart Connect is band steering within a node, not roaming/node steering, yes?

OE

14 meter / 55 feet through 2 thick walls. when I stand before one node and have -40 rssi, the other has around -70. I think this is quite a healthy distance.

It's not an unhealthy distance, like 12-20 feet. However, -70 is still a fair signal your client may stick to. Have you tried raising the 5-1 Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold more to say -55?

OE

Smart Connect is band steering within a node, not roaming/node steering, yes?

OE
It should, but it does affect roaming. In my experience SC may look like it's working at first, but as time goes on it sort of freezes up, sticking to the stronger signal and after that no longer actively promoting the device to the higher speed one. This would look like a healthy distribution of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz distributed devices at boot, but as time moves on, it would relegate them all but 1 to 2.4 GHz. Roaming assist also has two different settings for 2.4 and 5 GHz and this might cause a conflict between band steering and roaming, but that's speculative from my side. Either way, I gave up on SC and tried to adjust RA settings for 2.4 and 5 GHz until it would work most of the time. The reason for me is that I use a 2.4 GHz wireless audio connection for the rear channels of the home theater system, which is affected by the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi (because the receiver is below the couch).

Can you try what happens if you take the transmission strength down 1 notch and/or if you move the node a few meters closer? It might be an issue with signal quality instead of signal strength...

GT-AX11000 firmware 41535: after the update I noticed a slowdown in internet speed, going from 200 mbits to less than 100 mbps not costant. With or without QoS enabled.

Last edited:
I think it only affects the client band connection at any given node.

OE

I can't say I have a clean/clear understanding of what exactly SC does and how it interacts/overlaps with Roaming Assistant. Adding AiMesh into the picture is making things even more complicated.
My scenario: router 3 band, node 2 band.
SC will push some clients on 2nd 5GHz radio. Moving to node, AiMesh moves me to the node. Is roaming assistant the feature that puts me on the single 5GHz radio my node have, or SC?
Both? All 3 features are working together?

I would love some clarifications if anyone has it :)

I can't say I have a clean/clear understanding of what exactly SC does and how it interacts/overlaps with Roaming Assistant. Adding AiMesh into the picture is making things even more complicated.
SC will push some clients on 2nd 5GHz radio. Moving to node, AiMesh moves me to the node. Is roaming assistant the feature that puts me on the single 5GHz radio my node have, or SC?

• AiMesh moves you (steers your device) between nodes to get the best signal
  • Smart Connect moves you (steers your device) between the bands on a node depending on the rules defined - this is to give the optimum connection on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz
  • Roaming Assistant is probably the sledgehammer to crack a nut - it simply waits for your signal strength to drop below the defined level and disconnects your WiFi connection. This causes the client device to reconnect - most will do this by reselecting the strongest signal and preferred band. In theory AiMesh and Smart Connect working together should mean that you don't need Roaming Assistant.
EDIT: Roaming Assistant will still disconnect you if there is no better connection available. It does not use any intelligence beyond forcing a disconnect when there is a weak connection. This was most useful when people are running multiple APs without a mesh and client devices can tend to hang on to a weak connection even if there is a better signal available.

Last edited:

How I think about it...

Smart Connect encourages connection to the better band/signal of a given node. The client connects to 5.0 instead of 2.4. Smart Connect works for a single standalone router.

Roaming Assistant encourages connection to the better node/signal. The client connects to the stronger signal. The Roaming Assistant RSSI power threshold defines what is a weaker signal. There may or may not be a stronger signal (there may or may not be another node to roam to). Roaming Assistant will not disconnect a client that has no place to roam.

Whether or not AiMesh has any role in the above doesn't much matter since there is no other control over it beyond WiFi signal setup and node placement.

OE

GT-AX11000 firmware 41535: after the update I noticed a slowdown in internet speed, going from 200 mbits to less than 100 mbps not costant. With or without QoS enabled.
Hello if you use the rc10 (latest beta) it Tanks the ethernet ports you can revert Back via Wi-Fi or rescue mode (using via Ethernet Port to revert Back gives error)

cheers

I hear you. I’m waiting for Ubiquiti to release their UniFi WiFi 6 Mesh Points in Canada. Once that happens, I’m buying a UniFi Dream Machine Pro plus four WiFi 6 Mesh Points.

The issues with my XT8s is way too annoying now. Constant disconnects. Multiple times per day. It’s getting in the way of my evening university classes and my day job.

It was running okay for about a week after installing this latest beta, but then all the issues started to come back.

I have the xt8 and I do not have any issues. I did turn off certain configs. I have over 50 devices and every morning there are 2 to 3 zoom meetings going in parallel. No issues here, but I can try to help

Let me speak out what many think: ASUS, any ETA on RC11?
Yes , everyone waits fo rc11 with hope that asus will everything fix . But dispite having such big issue as a speed drop , they still do not do anything . Im tired of waiting when asus will do something . I just return to older version of firmware where no speed issue . Let's encrypt ssl do not working on last official firmware. But its not a big issue such as speed drop .

It feels like Asus has problems at the moment with the AX firmware. They recently pulled the released 386 version for RT-AX88U and there are a number of other models missing AiMesh 2.0 releases still. Add to that the problems reported on here with poor throughput etc. My guess is that they are working behind the scenes on fixing these, probably with the WiFi chipset suppliers.

It would be nice if @ASUSWRT_2020 could provide an update, but I guess sometimes Non-Disclosure Agreements are in place between parties. Even just word that they are still planning on providing future beta versions would be a positive message.

It would be nice if @ASUSWRT_2020 could provide an update, but I guess sometimes Non-Disclosure Agreements are in place between parties. Even just word that they are still planning on providing future beta versions would be a positive message.

Nice but not necessary. Just assume they are still in business and working on their products.

This post shows the RC2 beta release rate:

OE

Is there any kind of consensus as to which of these release candidates is the most stable and has the best speed transfers?
I tend to think R9. Anyone else please comment. R10 is a disaster.

CC

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!