What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC2 public beta with full functions AiMesh 2.0 (continued)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

While everyone is waiting for everyone else to test this before they do, you may want to read the first post again with the changes to expect.

AX11000 router and two XT8 nodes running smoothly with no noted issues so far on RC2-11.
I've done dirty upgrade upon dirty upgrade, not once resetting and configuring and I've tried every one if these release candidates.
I've had to reset the odd node every now and then but never the main router. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've not had any issues that I'm aware of or can remember that have been attributable to a dirty upgrade. There, I've gone and done it now, jinxed myself. You just know that the next upgrade is going to be catastrophic.

I do like the "System Reset to Factory Default" within AiMesh Settings in the new 386 firmware. Factory resets everything, mesh nodes and main router, with the touch of a button. One thing it doesn't do is initialize the logs at the main router. Still have to do that through Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting and tick the checkbox to initialize the logs. Much more convenient than running around the house holding down the WPS button on each mesh node.

Tested it out last night as I hadn't factory reset my 68U's in quite some time. After everything was reset, I imported my settings back into the main router, and re-joined the AiMesh nodes one at a time. Whole process took a fraction of the time overall.

A nice feature for a future update (if ASUS is reading these posts)...give the user the option to "factory reset" a mesh node when updating its firmware (understanding that the nodes will have to be re-joined to the network afterward). Mesh nodes don't need any individual config, so it seems like a safe bet to go that route.

A nice feature for a future update (if ASUS is reading these posts)...give the user the option to "factory reset" a mesh node when updating its firmware (understanding that the nodes will have to be re-joined to the network afterward). Mesh nodes don't need any individual config, so it seems like a safe bet to go that route.

A node is automatically reset when you remove it from the AiMesh. So, flash it, remove it, and add it back... all from the router webUI.

OE

A node is automatically reset when you remove it from the AiMesh. So, flash it, remove it, and add it back... all from the router webUI.

OE

True...you can just opt to "Remove Node" which resets it back to factory defaults. Easy enough to do.

@ForkWNY after you did the full reset and imported your saved backup config file, you effectively undid the reset you performed, FYI. ;)

@ForkWNY after you did the full reset and imported your saved backup config file, you effectively undid the reset you performed, FYI. ;)

Only reason I went with the import is that I had just reset it to default and configured from scratch on a similar firmware just days prior, so I had saved those settings immediately after re-configuring from scratch on 386. It would be nice if the firmware allowed individual import of the port forwarding and DHCP static assignment lists back in there (as well as the custom names I enter into the client list, which I'm presuming is just textual metadata anyway). I'm fine with configuring everything else from scratch because I make minimal changes to the settings otherwise.

I will check that out - is that only applicable to Merlin builds or does it play nice with the official firmware?

Official firmware doesn't play nice (does it ever)? :)

Finally took the leap, I have upgraded to the released 386 firmware for GT AC5300 main router and Stable Merlin for RT AC5300 4 nodes. Everything seems to be working AiProtection dual wan, vpn fusion nord vpn, however the vpn took long to authenticate and web ui became unresponsive during set up but no issues since.

thanks for your contribution...

i have used previous beta like i said and it tanked the router, just asking for feedback

but none the less you are right i will share as usual my inputs after i test it

best regards
I installed it on my GT-AX11000 along with two ZenWifi XT8 nodes and all is running smooth, stable and speedy.

Reactions: MDK
Installed 41994 on GT-AC5300 tonight, Lost 5ghz band, light out on the router also...5ghz lines are blank in the settings. downgrade didnt seem to fix it.
Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.34.24 PM.png

That was indeed a question I had. If the config save is really only configs save then the proces "save config > factory reset > restore config" would be a correct one. Apparently there is something saved in the config that is no visible conffiguration option ? Can somebody explain whats happening under water here ? I hate a factory reset because I have to remember and manually restore every setting I had, and this seemed a nice workaround ...

I installed it on my GT-AX11000 along with two ZenWifi XT8 nodes and all is running smooth, stable and speedy.

Hello

thanks for the feedback, for me its ok also i was using the latest oficial firmware, no problems what so ever

cheers

That was indeed a question I had. If the config save is really only configs save then the proces "save config > factory reset > restore config" would be a correct one. Apparently there is something saved in the config that is no visible conffiguration option ? Can somebody explain whats happening under water here ? I hate a factory reset because I have to remember and manually restore every setting I had, and this seemed a nice workaround ...

This FAQ helps to explain the factory default reset:

OE

@ASUSWRT_2020

RT-AC68U Firmware 9.0.0.4.386.41994 Beta Version released on 2021-02-01.

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 (Beta Version)

Security Fixed:
Fixed CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686

Please be noted this is a quick fix beta version for DNSmasq vulnerabilities. Refer to "Method 2: Update Manually" in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000 to update this firmware.

EDIT: I added links to each of CVE Security Vulnerabilities so you can read their description.

Last edited:
Finally took the leap, I have upgraded to the released 386 firmware for GT AC5300 main router and Stable Merlin for RT AC5300 4 nodes. Everything seems to be working AiProtection dual wan, vpn fusion nord vpn, however the vpn took long to authenticate and web ui became unresponsive during set up but no issues since.

Did the web UI go to a blank page after login (on GameDashboard.asp)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!