What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC3-2 public beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also on 45898 can see PHY rate on wireless backhaul (Transmit and Receive) but not on this beta.
I have XT8, same with me. Does not show PHY speed. It is around 8-10Mb / s, it is not true.

PHY 5GHz-2 does not connect to 160MHz, only works at 80MHz. On other soft, it connects to 160MHz.

Last edited:
Hi there,
Thanks for posting the beta. I use an AX92U and I am keen to use my VPN providers Wireguard service. For some reason my VPN Client page doesn’t list as many options as I have seen on other peoples screenshots. Am I doing something wrong?
71A31590-55F4-4E01-B227-B6D7BD639354.png

Hi All,
In the past few weeks, we focused improved the security and postponed the 386 RC3-2 a little. Here are the major new features.
(1) Instant Guard can now invite your family members or friends.
The previous version is for administrator only. In this new version, we modified the server, firmware, and app to let you share the router's VPN connection easily. To try this feature, please upgrade both the firmware to 386 rc3-2 and the Instant Guard app.
Android ipk link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lPARbpUu5YaZrW4VdVuJskb9DK8_VcXI?usp=sharing
iOS: Please pm me you apple ID email and I will add you to the TestFlight beta tester list.
View attachment 36932
View attachment 36933

(2) Support reward time in parental control. You can increase extra time for children in the network blocking period.

View attachment 36934

We removed the DNS filter in 386 RC3-2 because of the concern about the trademark. We are developing the similar feature with different name and UI instead of DNS filter.

The 386 RC3-2 firmware link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wvFKrOprbgDcrTk6yh84OOm8uZHsPgIZ?usp=sharing

386 RC3-2 support models.

GT-AX11000
RT-AX92U
RT-AX88U
RT-AX82U
RT-AX58U
RT-AX56U
RT-AX55
TUF-AX5400
TUF-AX3000
ZenWiFi ET8
ZenWiFi XT8
ZenWiFi XD6
-----------------------------
10/27 update
Add RT-AX86U and RT-AX68U in the same share link.
Yet again no love for ZenWiFi CT8, it's like a throw away product.

Thanks ASUS and RMerlin for your consistent updating strategy and saving us 'bleeding edge' folk from ourselves. I'm all for running bleeding edge as long as no software engineer makes a mistake or fails a regression test. I had also begun to wonder why the next update had been slow to release, then realized that ASUS had also skipped a month. (I'm guessing they had at least one failed sprint in devel) This is a good thing. For example, MS was under a lot of pressure to 'fix' print nightmare windows spooler issues fast. So far I count 5 updates that require a reboot to fix that issue in Windows (and it prevents any windows older than win 10 20H1 from printing as of now, without a hack to defeat part of the fix). Keeping a good stable version an extra dev cycle or two saves everyone from extra downtime from reboots or bricking. If I had one issue, it would be that about 3-4 weeks ago when the regular cadence of releases was missed, something like 'we had bugs, we're fixing them, be patient, you don't want to brick your $300-400 router' was posted.

Me too, how is it that arguably one of if not the most popular router isn't listed here with a beta. Beats me lol
lol, most popular router ? most popular Asus router is AC68U IMO

@everyone could we please try and stay on topic, it's very frustrating having having to scroll through all of this...

All I wanted to do was find out what problems people were having and see if they were the same as mine, god knows what it's like for a firmware engineer over at Asus.

RT-AX86U on 3.0.0.4.386_45898-gfa90458. Several days ago I upgraded to the RC3-2 Beta. The router rebooted after the upgrade and after about 30 seconds started into a boot loop. I was able to get a reflash of 3.0.0.4.386_45898-gfa90458 started, did a hard factory reset and configured manually.
Today I decided to try again. Same boot loop. Powered off the router, did a hard factory reset and began to configure manually.
Changed the following in this order:
Changed the DHCP start to 192.168.50.10
Changed DST time zone changes ends
WIFI set to WPA2-Personal/WPA3-Personal
WAN - static DNS, DoT, enabled Auto prevent DoH, disabled UPnP
Enabled DDNS and set port forward for one LAN client
Enabled AiProtect
Enabled QOS
Enabled DDOS protection
I paused a couple of minutes after each of the above. So far so good!
When I disabled WPS the web gui locked up and the router started boot loop again.
Once again I flashed back to 386_45898, hard factory reset and reconfigure.

Hi. Thanks for beta rom ax56u. I just test this beta. I only test at category vpn. For ovpn all working smooth. Has connection and fast. For wireguard also is working and fast but when i set primary internet connection on wireguard. The internet not working and no connection. I need to set primary connection on normal internet but set specific device to use wireguard then wireguard will working. If set all use wireguard then it will not working and no internet connection. But for ovpn, i set all connection use ovpn it will work. Only wireguard have this problem when i set all connection use wire guard.

The apps for android also working great with vpn new interface and function.

During i adjust setting on vpn using asus android apps. It will suddenly restart the wifi radio without notifier the user. Suddenly wifi signal restart without any hint.

I love this new function rom. Hope my feedback will greatly benefits the developer.

Thanks for create this beta test file.

RT-AX86U on 3.0.0.4.386_45898-gfa90458. Several days ago I upgraded to the RC3-2 Beta. The router rebooted after the upgrade and after about 30 seconds started into a boot loop. I was able to get a reflash of 3.0.0.4.386_45898-gfa90458 started, did a hard factory reset and configured manually.
Today I decided to try again. Same boot loop. Powered off the router, did a hard factory reset and began to configure manually.
Enabled AiProtect
Enabled QOS
Enabled DDOS protection
When I disabled WPS the web gui locked up and the router started boot loop again.

Similar story with my RT-AX86U - but alas mine was completely bricked after flashing to this Beta. Tried the usual firmware restore methods - however not even power LED activity... Fortunately it was a recent purchase, so was able to get a quick replacement...

Install on AX11000 - no problems so far, I tried a manual firmware update (now shows option to retrieve Beta's) however, now I get error message "The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update." Get this message selecting betas or not.

Similar story with my RT-AX86U - but alas mine was completely bricked after flashing to this Beta. Tried the usual firmware restore methods - however not even power LED activity... Fortunately it was a recent purchase, so was able to get a quick replacement...

Thank you for letting us try the RC.

The AX86U drops the connection and goes into a loop of restoring and dropping the connection.

I was able to restore to stock.

Strange that this was not picked up before release?

Enabled AiProtect
Enabled QOS
Enabled DDOS protection
I have similar problem with infinitive reboot and my entire network is down. Even hard reset and try to manually configure again. Finally, manage to restore back to production firmware without configure anything!

Hi All,
In the past few weeks, we focused improved the security and postponed the 386 RC3-2 a little. Here are the major new features.
(1) Instant Guard can now invite your family members or friends.
The previous version is for administrator only. In this new version, we modified the server, firmware, and app to let you share the router's VPN connection easily. To try this feature, please upgrade both the firmware to 386 rc3-2 and the Instant Guard app.
Android ipk link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lPARbpUu5YaZrW4VdVuJskb9DK8_VcXI?usp=sharing
iOS: Please pm me you apple ID email and I will add you to the TestFlight beta tester list.
View attachment 36932
View attachment 36933

(2) Support reward time in parental control. You can increase extra time for children in the network blocking period.

View attachment 36934

We removed the DNS filter in 386 RC3-2 because of the concern about the trademark. We are developing the similar feature with different name and UI instead of DNS filter.

The 386 RC3-2 firmware link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wvFKrOprbgDcrTk6yh84OOm8uZHsPgIZ?usp=sharing

386 RC3-2 support models.

GT-AX11000
RT-AX92U
RT-AX88U
RT-AX82U
RT-AX58U
RT-AX56U
RT-AX55
TUF-AX5400
TUF-AX3000
ZenWiFi ET8
ZenWiFi XT8
ZenWiFi XD6
-----------------------------
10/27 update
Add RT-AX86U and RT-AX68U in the same share link.
It would be nice if you setup the instant guard APP to block any IPV6 traffic not destined for the VPN, similar to what I can do with the Strongswan app.

Sorry, this may be slightly O/T, is this possible. VPN on router using wireguard (so 1 device has the VPN). Instantguard then used when on insecure or untrusted wifi to hop onto router that then routes the traffic out on to the net using the wireguard VPN?

I setup the VPN again and it is working as expected on this beta. But it seems something gets messed up after the beta upgrade to the latest

Thanks ASUS and RMerlin for your consistent updating strategy and saving us 'bleeding edge' folk from ourselves. I'm all for running bleeding edge as long as no software engineer makes a mistake or fails a regression test. I had also begun to wonder why the next update had been slow to release, then realized that ASUS had also skipped a month. (I'm guessing they had at least one failed sprint in devel) This is a good thing. For example, MS was under a lot of pressure to 'fix' print nightmare windows spooler issues fast. So far I count 5 updates that require a reboot to fix that issue in Windows (and it prevents any windows older than win 10 20H1 from printing as of now, without a hack to defeat part of the fix). Keeping a good stable version an extra dev cycle or two saves everyone from extra downtime from reboots or bricking. If I had one issue, it would be that about 3-4 weeks ago when the regular cadence of releases was missed, something like 'we had bugs, we're fixing them, be patient, you don't want to brick your $300-400 router' was posted.
I hadn't read the threads about the GPL issues when I posted this. It is still a fair assessment except the conclusions I drew up were wrong about why. That said, I stand by the parts of 'be patient, and no bricking'. Btw, if your friends purchased a higher end nighthawk equivalent to the 3x3 86u or the high end 88u.. they still be jealous that yours works better and security doesn't require a payment every month.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!