What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC3-2 public beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And the ZenWiFi Mini XD4?

I have my XD4 coming in for WiFi 6 but I plan to use my AC88U as a wired only router and my XD4s in AP-Mesh mode.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211105-235145_Vivaldi_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20211105-235145_Vivaldi_1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 204
Updated to this firmware today on AX88U. Haven't had much time to play around with it but one small issue noted is lack of ethernet port info on Network Map. Hope that helps. Will post again if other issues encountered. Thanks for your work!

View attachment 37249
Chmsalman,
Mine looks like this with the graphics, maybe your browser? - I use Safari on MacBookPro

Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 15.25.36.png

Hi,
I would greatly appreciate if someone can provide instructions for setting up Wireguard on both
  • Asus Router (FW: 9.0.0.4.386_56742) and
  • iPhone (iOS 15.1).
If there are available FAQs please point me to it. Thank you so much.

Edit:
I have other VPN Servers on my Asus RT-AX88U, including
  • OpenVPN - that works with Clients on Mac and iPhone
  • IPSec VPN (IKEv1 & IKEv2) - that works with Clients on Mac and iPhone
  • Instant Guard - that works with client on iPhone
I Wish to setup WireGuard Server to work with Clients on both Mac and iPhone to see how these perform compared to the above mentioned other VPN Server options. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,
I would greatly appreciate if someone can provide instructions for setting up Wireguard on both
  • Asus Router (FW: 9.0.0.4.386_56742) and
  • iPhone (iOS 15.1).
If there are available FAQs please point me to it. Thank you so much.

Edit:
I have other VPN Servers on my Asus RT-AX88U, including
  • OpenVPN - that works with Clients on Mac and iPhone
  • IPSec VPN (IKEv1 & IKEv2) - that works with Clients on Mac and iPhone
  • Instant Guard - that works with client on iPhone
I Wish to setup WireGuard Server to work with Clients on both Mac and iPhone to see how these perform compared to the above mentioned other VPN Server options. Thanks.

I followed the somewhat vague instructions on that link.

Unfortunately I think I spoke too soon. Tested the VPN on iOS this morning outside of the house and have no internet or LAN connection although the VPN itself seems to connect fine. I did update to the latest iOS this morning though not sure if that messed anything up. Resetting iPhone network settings did nothing.

And yes my ISP provides a dynamic IP which I’ve registered with ASUS DDNS service and updated the client config file to match it. The endpoint identifies the correct IP for my router.

Might be useful to know where the config files are located on the router to have a look.

Last edited:
Looks like RT-AX53U is just another name of RT-AX55. You may have to wait a bit for this one.

I followed the somewhat vague instructions on that link.

Unfortunately I think I spoke too soon. Tested the VPN on iOS this morning outside of the house and have no internet or LAN connection although the VPN itself seems to connect fine. I did update to the latest iOS this morning though not sure if that messed anything up. Resetting iPhone network settings did nothing.

And yes my ISP provides a dynamic IP which I’ve registered with ASUS DDNS service and updated the client config file to match it. The endpoint identifies the correct IP for my router.

Might be useful to know where the config files are located on the router to have a look.
Chmsalman,

Thanks, I saw the link 2 weeks ago, but, did not understand ... after reading again, the following are the steps I have taken to establish WireGuard tunnel between
  • my iPhoneXsMax (iOS 15.1) using WireGuard iOS App, my intel MacBookPro (Big Sur 11.6.1) using WireGuard for macOS
  • to my AsusRouter (9.0.0.4.386_56742)
Step 1 Asus Router VPN WireGuard Setup
  • VPN -> WireGuard Server -> Basic Config(leave all else default, only the following changes)
    • Enable WireGuard: Yes
    • Allow DNS: Yes
  • VPN -> WireGuard Server -> Interface (leave all else default, it will auto generate)
  • Apply to established the Server Configuration

• VPN -> WireGuard Server -> Peer(leave all else default, only the following changes)
    • Enable Client: Yes
    • Address: 10.6.0.2/32
    • Allowed IPs (Server): 10.6.0.2/32
    • Allowed IPs (Client) : 0.0.0.0/0
  • Apply to established the Peer Configuration
  • Click on QRcode - to display QRcode generated for WireGuard iOS App to import this to setup WireGuard tunnel on iPhoneXsMax below
  • Click on Export - to Export WireGuard Configuration to be imported by WireGuard for Mac
Step 2a iPhoneXsMax WireGuard iOS App
  • Download and install WireGuard iOS App
  • Start WireGuard App
    • It will prompt you to add the 1st new WireGuard Tunnel
    • Select option to "Create from QR code"
    • Point Camera at QR code generated on Asus WireGuard Peer Configuration
    • Give the tunnel a name, eg. WGiPhoneXsMax (for my case)
    • Done
Step 2b Test WireGuard tunnel connection from iPhone
  • Open WireGuard iOS App
  • Select and Turn ON the WireGuard tunnel, eg. in my case WGiPhoneXsMax
  • QED: I got my WireGuard VPN Connection from iPhoneXsMax to my Asus Router
Step 3 Test WireGuard tunnel connection from Mac (Edit: please refer to Chmsalman's reply in the next post to configure multiple WireGuard clients)
  • Download and install WireGuard for Mac
  • import configuration exported from Asus WireGuard Peer Configuration above
  • Activate tunnel Connection
  • It works, but, I have not extensively test it.
Hope it is useful for those like me, was trying to figure out how to make the WireGuard tunnel connection. Please let me know if I missed any steps. Cheers.

Edit: I am using Asus DDNS Service, with Let's Encrypt. I noticed that my Router's DDNS name is picked up by the exported configuration file.

Last edited:
Chmsalman,

Thanks, I saw the link 2 weeks ago, but, did not understand ... after reading again, the following are the steps I have taken to establish WireGuard tunnel between
  • my iPhoneXsMax (iOS 15.1) using WireGuard iOS App
  • to my AsusRouter (9.0.0.4.386_56742)
Thanks for the writeup, I was going to take the time to do that today but you did it for me! I finally got it working but did a few different steps only because I wouldn't use the same config file for two clients. If you try to connect them to the VPN at the same time, they would fight for the same IP address that you set in your step 2 (10.6.0.2/32).

Fortunately the firmware allows for 10 clients to connect to the Wireguard Server.

So I would take the following steps to replace your step 3 (ie. to add your Mac as a second client)

1. VPN -> Wireguard Server -> Peer
- Wireguard client index: 2
- Enable Client: Yes
- Address: 10.6.0.3/32
- Allowed IPs (Server): 10.6.0.3/32
- Allowed IPs (Client): 0.0.0.0/0
2. Click Apply
3. Click Export
4. WireGuard app on Mac -> Import Tunnels from File -> select the file you exported above, then activate tunnel.

I also have a pihole set up at home. If anyone else is in the same boat and wants to use the pihole with the VPN then do the following:

1. I'm assuming you have already set up the IP address of your pi as the LAN DNS to be able to make use of it within your LAN. If not, go to LAN -> DNS and WINS Server Setting -> set DNS Server to the local IP address of your pi.
2. You have to set it up as the upstream WAN DNS as well. Go to WAN -> WAN DNS Setting -> set DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 to the local IP address of your pi as above.

Now you should be able to have pihole active within your LAN as well as when you access your VPN through the tunnel.

Setting the DNS Server manually in your tunnel config file to the IP address of your pihole won't work so you have to do the above.

Things are working well for me for now. Will keep you posted if something breaks. Hope this helps.

Well, more fool me... Tried this Beta firmware again on my new/replacement RT-AX86U - and surprise suprise - it bricked (again)...
Not even power LED activity, no network port activity - Asus Firmware Restoration fails to find the router...
Router was on the latest Asus firmware (3.0.0.4.386.45898) with a basic config prior to upgrading...
RT-AX86U owners please think twice about attempting to test this Beta firmware - Perhaps this 386 RC3-2 (9.0.0.4_386_56898-ge21e952) for the RT-AX86U should be pulled?

Well, more fool me... Tried this Beta firmware again on my new/replacement RT-AX86U - and surprise suprise - it bricked (again)...
Not even power LED activity, no network port activity - Asus Firmware Restoration fails to find the router...
Router was on the latest Asus firmware (3.0.0.4.386.45898) with a basic config prior to upgrading...
RT-AX86U owners please think twice about attempting to test this Beta firmware - Perhaps this 386 RC3-2 (9.0.0.4_386_56898-ge21e952) for the RT-AX86U should be pulled?
Is your internet IP coming in via pppoe?

Is your internet IP coming in via pppoe?

WAN connection type is Automatic IP.

What have noticed is that both RT-AX86U routers were new/recent EU stock, with serial numbers starting with M8IG3800V######, supplied with cheap generic power bricks rated at 19.5 V with max. 2.31 A (not the Asus branded ones rated at 19 V with max. 2.37 A).

@ASUSWRT_2020
I have a huge feature to request. Since IPv6 is getting mainstream, I am requesting Asus routers to get their own IPv6 IP address via DHCPv6 so that we can access our Asus Routers remotely. Right now if ISP has IPv4 under CG-NAT, it is impossible to access our Asus routers from WAN.

@ASUSWRT_2020

On my iOS Asus Router App -> Settings -> Firmware Upgrade -> Check Firmware Version
  • Everything is working with Notice: "Your AiMesh system is up to date"
However, on my MacBookPro (Big Sur 11.6.1) with either Safari (15.1) or Brave (1.31.91).
Administration -> Firmware Upgrade -> Check Firmware -> Check Update
  • I get the error message in yellow below "The router cannot connect to ASUS server ..."
  • I will send feedback via GUI with all logs and point to this thread.
Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 21.02.16.png

@ASUSWRT_2020
I have a huge feature to request. Since IPv6 is getting mainstream, I am requesting Asus routers to get their own IPv6 IP address via DHCPv6 so that we can access our Asus Routers remotely. Right now if ISP has IPv4 under CG-NAT, it is impossible to access our Asus routers from WAN.

If CG-NAT is used, there's little to nothing a router vendor can do!
It's too much of a dependency of what flavor of CG-NAT a carrier implements.
If the carrier is good, they will allow native IPv6 communication. And only then Asus can help. Simple stuff, like a IPv6 DDNS.
But most carriers are doing a crappy job and there's nothing Asus can do. Like blocking inbound IPv6 traffic.
A crappy standard will create crappy experience to the users :(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!