What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC3-2 public beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If CG-NAT is used, there's little to nothing a router vendor can do!
It's too much of a dependency of what flavor of CG-NAT a carrier implements.
If the carrier is good, they will allow native IPv6 communication. And only then Asus can help. Simple stuff, like a IPv6 DDNS.
But most carriers are doing a crappy job and there's nothing Asus can do. Like blocking inbound IPv6 traffic.
A crappy standard will create crappy experience to the users :(
Why are you worried about ISPs or Carriers? 90% of ISPs in my country now provide Native IPv6 and are doing a brilliant job at it.

It is high time, Asus Routers need to get their own IPv6 via ISP's native implementation.

@ASUSWRT_2020

On my iOS Asus Router App -> Settings -> Firmware Upgrade -> Check Firmware Version
  • Everything is working with Notice: "Your AiMesh system is up to date"
However, on my MacBookPro (Big Sur 11.6.1) with either Safari (15.1) or Brave (1.31.91).
Administration -> Firmware Upgrade -> Check Firmware -> Check Update
  • I get the error message in yellow below "The router cannot connect to ASUS server ..."
  • I will send feedback via GUI with all logs and point to this thread.
View attachment 37333
@ASUSWRT_2020

Today, Check Firmware Update is working now. Thanks.

However,
My Current FW Version: 9.0.0.4.386_56742 (Beta RC3-2)
The latest FW Version shown as: 3.0.0.4.386_45898-gfa90458 (which is older vs Beta RC3-2)

It autoupdated the Firmware for me.
So I need to reflash RC3-2, and to keep RC3-2, I have to TURN OFF Auto Firmware Upgrade.

Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 20.38.32.png

The latest firmware is the 3.00.xxx firmware.

9.00.xxx firmware is merely betas.

My Current FW Version: 9.0.0.4.386_56742 (Beta RC3-2)
The latest FW Version shown as: 3.0.0.4.386_45898-gfa90458 (which is older vs Beta RC3-2)

There was a check box for beta releases in RC3-1 beta. It's missing in your screenshot. This is the issue.

The latest firmware is the 3.00.xxx firmware.

9.00.xxx firmware is merely betas.
L&LD,
Noted :).

Until yesterday, when I do Check Firmware Version reported on earlier post #79
  • iOS Asus Router App - I got "Your AiMesh system is up to date" when AiMesh Router is (RC3-2)
  • AiMesh Router RT-AX88U (RC3-2) - I got "The router cannot connect to ASUS server ..."
As of yesterday (my time) Check Firmware Upgrade both iOS Asus Router App and AiMesh Router behaviour had changed, that is what I am reporting here. My workaround is NOT to allow auto Firmware upgrade.

There was a check box for beta releases in RC3-1 beta. It's missing in your screenshot. This is the issue.
Tech9,
Thanks. Can you show me your screen shot? I came straight to RC3-2, skipped RC3-1

Can you show me your screen shot? I came straight to RC3-2, skipped RC3-1

This is beta 9.0.0.4.386_55919 (RC3-1):

Screenshot 2021-11-15 193532.jpg

OE

OE,
Thanks, now I see that RC3-1 provided options to retrieve beta firmware, that is not available for RC3-2. Thanks

Yes, apparently they thought twice and decided to remove the beta firmware control(?).

OE

So far, I am very happy with RC3-2; Everything works for me for my configuration.

WireGuard VPN Server appears to be excellent, very good throughput for me from Connection from clients using both iOS WireGuard App and macOS WireGuard App. It took me a while to figure out from the earlier posts here, so, It will be great if Asus can consider to provide a simple FAQ guide to setup both WireGuard Server/Client settings on Asus Router and Clients on (Mac, Windows, Mobile (iOS, Android).

Yes, apparently they thought twice and decided to remove the beta firmware control(?).

OE
OE,

:) I can live with it, simply turn off firmware auto upgrade. I can understand the complexities of firmware auto upgrade with a mixture of Stock, Merlin and their respective Alpha & Beta Firmwares.

It will be great if Asus can consider to provide a simple FAQ guide to setup both WireGuard Server/Client settings on Asus Router and Clients on (Mac, Windows, Mobile (iOS, Android).

Admittedly, I have not paid much attention... what's the general difference between Instant Guard and Wire Guard?

OE

Thanks. Can you show me your screen shot? I came straight to RC3-2, skipped RC3-1

No, the router is not running and has different firmware loaded. On RC3-1 AC86U firmware there was a choice what to check for - latest official or latest beta. If you don't select latest beta, it was offering latest official as newer firmware. This is what you see on your router with RC3-2 and it's the expected behavior. What is missing in RC3-2 (or perhaps your router version of it) is the beta check box.

So far, I am very happy with RC3-2; Everything works for me for my configuration.

WireGuard VPN Server appears to be excellent, very good throughput for me from Connection from clients using both iOS WireGuard App and macOS WireGuard App. It took me a while to figure out from the earlier posts here, so, It will be great if Asus can consider to provide a simple FAQ guide to setup both WireGuard Server/Client settings on Asus Router and Clients on (Mac, Windows, Mobile (iOS, Android).
I agree, the Wireguard stuff works great! One thing I would like is an internet kill switch for VPN profiles to prevent leaks.

I have a dual ET8 (2x AXE6600) with the random-disconnects-when-things-are-busy problem. Has everyone reset and redone setup after updating to the beta, or is it stable while retaining settings (namely DHCP reservations and port forwarding! what a pain to redo!).

I agree, the Wireguard stuff works great! One thing I would like is an internet kill switch for VPN profiles to prevent leaks.
I have to double check, but with vpn if connection goes out, there isn't any connections that can go out

Admittedly, I have not paid much attention... what's the general difference between Instant Guard and Wire Guard?

OE
Oops,
I have flashed the latest Stock Firmware (3.0.0.4_386_45934) so no more WireGuard. I will do a performance comparison of the Various Asus VPN Server options on my RT-AX88U when the next RC3-3(?) becomes available.
  • Instant Guard is easy to setup, but, connection is not very reliable, I often get connection error in different environment when attempting Instant Guard connection from my iOS device. It is under the hood, basically IPSec with IKEv1, it is slower.
  • WireGuard once there is simple FAQ instructions, set up is also easy, connection very reliable, and extremely fast vs Instant Guard, OpenVPN, IPSec and even IKEv2 (which is faster than all the rest, except WireGuard)
  • Disclaimer: Speed is only my subjective experience for my configuration with my devices.

If CG-NAT is used, there's little to nothing a router vendor can do!
It's too much of a dependency of what flavor of CG-NAT a carrier implements.
If the carrier is good, they will allow native IPv6 communication. And only then Asus can help. Simple stuff, like a IPv6 DDNS.
But most carriers are doing a crappy job and there's nothing Asus can do. Like blocking inbound IPv6 traffic.
A crappy standard will create crappy experience to the users :(
If I'm not wrong, asus ddns doesn't work with ipv6.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!