What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC3-2 public beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What's the deal with the GT-Ac5300 !!!
Since May no new firmware, where other routers already received several updates.
Still facing issue with 2nd 5 Ghz band giving high ping peaks >2000ms and problems transmitting data on 2.4 Ghz.

Please support the facility behind dual NAT.
I have a public IP address, but my router WAN address is 10.9.112.78.
Instant Guard detect my Public IP from external (setings on DDNS) and is OK, but Android APP says I don't have a public IP
Big Thanks

Instant Guard detect my Public IP from external (setings on DDNS) and is OK, but Android APP says I don't have a public IP
Big Thanks
Most likely the address 10.9.112.78 is a "gray" address, not a public one. Please contact your ISP to provide you with a "white" external public address.
It's not 100%, but I think so ...
I had a similar problem (external ip address started with "10.") and had to buy an external public address from my ISP. It is good that it turned out to be not at all expensive ...

Sorry for my English!

Last edited:
Big Thanks
Your WAN has what is called a Private IP address: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
Also known as Non-Routable Address Space
The internet is running out of IPV4 addresses and this is one way for ISP's to serve more customers. You can probably buy a "good" Static IP address from them.

Hi, I have bought a public IP. My IP is 185.131.60.XXX , but in the WAN I have to be set to 10.9.112.78 ... :/
The provider told me there was no other way.
When I put my public IP into the WAN, my internet is down.

Attachments

• 2021_11_18_15_15_45_What_Is_My_IP_Address_See_Your_Public_Address_IPv4_IPv6.jpg
    2021_11_18_15_15_45_What_Is_My_IP_Address_See_Your_Public_Address_IPv4_IPv6.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 131
Hi, I have bought a public IP. My IP is 185.131.60.XXX , but in the WAN I have to be set to 10.9.112.78 ... :/
The provider told me there was no other way.
When I put my public IP into the WAN, my internet is down.
I'm sorry, but it seems to me that these issues should be considered in a separate topic, but not in this one ...

Hi All,

Has anyone tried this RC3-2 (or even RC3-1) beta if available for your/their AX-based router(s), which otherwise also natively already support VPN Fusion like the GT-AX11000, TUF-AX3000 or TUF-AX5400?

If so, how does the VPN client interface look like with the beta? I am curious to understand how VPN Fusion and Multiple VPN Connections features would coexist, if at all?

The reason for asking is that I am very keen to purchase a router which can connect with the WireGuard protocol to a supporting VPN provider (for performance benefits), while at the same time being able to selective choose which device should use this WireGuard VPN profile and others to break out normally over the internet.

Many thanks!

CTV

Installed and running on 2x RT-AX88Us. So far so good.
Hi @sanke1. Does your RT-AX88Us now have the “Multiple VPN Connections” option, especially with the ability to set up a WireGuard VPN client profile which can be assigned to specific device?

Beta seems to work ok AX58U. I did notice my IPv4 firewall was set to NO by default had to hit yes and apply.

Hi @sanke1. Does your RT-AX88Us now have the “Multiple VPN Connections” option, especially with the ability to set up a WireGuard VPN client profile which can be assigned to specific device?
I haven't tested that because I have PIA VPN software locally installed on my PC.

I just need my RT-AX88U to receive public IPv6 so that I can access it via DDNS. Maybe I am expecting too much from Asus.

In this firmware my router rt-ax88u cannot Assign ipv6 native from my isp. Revert firmware to oficial firmware is working.

This RC3-2 seems to work really well on my 3x XT8 mesh network with dedicated wireless backhaul. I have turned off ordinary remote access and set up the WireGuard server for on-demand more secure remote access to my local lan from iPhone and Mac (and optionally as a full on vpn for other traffic on the go as well). Seems stable enough (after I fiddled enough with the WireGuard settings and addresses to not make it take down my whole house internet, to which you could imagine the screams from my children calling).

Now I’m thinking of ditching the ISP router at the cabin too with 2x XD4s (black week sale and a higher WAF on the size than the XT8s have). We have fios internet with native isp ipv6 at both places.

I run raspberry pis with the nextdns cli as DOH server at both places (protecting the kids internet, killing ads and trackers, and forcing no-bypass from iCloud private relay etc.), but I can’t currently select another dns than the isp in the cabin isp fios router (but I can set it to bridge mode). By going third party router I now realise I could easily use the same rpi as dns server on a common WireGuard network (or both rpis as backup dns servers for the other place, should one of them have a problem). A common WireGuard lan network would confuse the hell out of HomeKit at both places though (I think), but that’s beside the point.

The point: I understand the asuswrt feature set is somewhat more limited on these XD4s (and that there’s only two bands of course but I have a possible Ethernet backhaul at the cabin). I see the XD4 was added to the RC3-2 beta and wonder exactly what I would be missing and whether WireGuard server and multiple VPNs are among the missing features on account of a less powerful CPU?

(Related:

I ask for experiences with differences in general between XT8 and XD4 in this thread: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/missing-xt8-features-in-the-xd4-firmware.75810/ )

Last edited:
Hello
Is it currently possible that i can use Wiregaurd as Client (VPN Client) and also Wireguard Server? Internal devices can use VPN as client and external devices can connect to the VPN Server?
Thank you

Hello
Is it currently possible that i can use Wiregaurd as Client (VPN Client) and also Wireguard Server? Internal devices can use VPN as client and external devices can connect to the VPN Server?
Thank you

Funny you should ask that. I am the one asking about wireguard on the XD4 two replies up, and was just reading up on site to site wireguard networks.

As far as I can see this cant be configured in the wireguard server tab alone, and since it’s also possible to set up an outgoing wireguard connection in the Multiple VPN tab I can't see why not. Can’t test it yet though.

I wasn’t sure whether I need to set up both ASUS routers as WireGuard servers or whether one of the routers only as server and the other as a vpn client would be enough to network both ways (thus making the question of a WireGuard server on the remote XD4 moot), but I see from people seemingly in the know on the internet that one usually sets up two “crossing” WireGuard servers (although one is formally a client), so both server and client tabs on both routers then (bottom part of article): https://nixfaq.org/2020/07/wireguar...v7-32-bit-chipset-running-asuswrt-merlin.html

EDIT: And it makes sense as you can’t set up allowed IPs without configuring a peer on the server which needs registering on the other (client) side/tab (I guess.. but I’m a fumbling amateur with regards to wireguard). Does anyone care to disprove this so I could more easily just get the XD4s for the other site whether it has WireGuard server or not …

EDIT2: Strike that reasoning; you do indeed set up Allowed IPs on a WireGuard client in the Multiple VPN Connection tab too. So to set up a virtual network between my two sites I only need the WireGuard server on my XT8s then as long as the remote XD4s have a WireGuard vpn client setting … ?

Last edited:
I actually asked because I created a connection to OVPN with Multiple VPN and the connection was also established and I also activated the Wireguard server.

Then I set my iPhone to 4G (cellular) and then established a connection and it worked.

Then I reconnected locally to the Asus router with my iPhone, where I previously defined the iPhone for the OVPN connection and the connection seems to work there too.

I still can't quite believe that, because with many devices that already support Wireguard, e.g. GL.iNet router or QNAP NAS, you keep reading the server and client do not work together.

My current problem is more when I set up a Wireguard connection on the iPhone with the OVPN, I can dial into my banking app, but if I do this over the OVPN connection on the router, it doesn't work. So something is different there.

I actually asked because I created a connection to OVPN with Multiple VPN and the connection was also established and I also activated the Wireguard server.

Then I set my iPhone to 4G (cellular) and then established a connection and it worked.

Then I reconnected locally to the Asus router with my iPhone, where I previously defined the iPhone for the OVPN connection and the connection seems to work there too.

I still can't quite believe that, because with many devices that already support Wireguard, e.g. GL.iNet router or QNAP NAS, you keep reading the server and client do not work together.

My current problem is more when I set up a Wireguard connection on the iPhone with the OVPN, I can dial into my banking app, but if I do this over the OVPN connection on the router, it doesn't work. So something is different there.
As you plainly see I’m (very) far from an expert on WireGuard or ip networking, but I see what you’re saying, and I would think there would be a “hurdle” there as well since those two tabs seem to be developed and released separately with perhaps separate binaries and environments too (?). I hope not though, at least that one can still use them like you tried when out of beta.

Wireguard is actually working pretty good for me based on what I can tell. Never had any connection issues on iOS or macOS. The On-Demand feature on the app just automatically connects the VPN soon as I walk away from home.

I can log into my router or NAS webpages, access my NAS as if it were a local storage device, etc.

Speeds when I have a decent LTE connection on my phone are about 90% of my total ISP upload bandwidth which is very reasonable.

Pretty happy with this beta on AX88U.

I run raspberry pis with the nextdns cli as DOH server at both places (protecting the kids internet, killing ads and trackers, and forcing no-bypass from iCloud private relay etc.)...
Hi Lo,

What is this forcing no-bypass from iCloud private relay you speak of? Got me curious. I have iCloud private relay set up on my devices, but never really experimented with it in the context of using on-demand wireguard all the time.

Hi Lo,

What is this forcing no-bypass from iCloud private relay you speak of? Got me curious. I have iCloud private relay set up on my devices, but never really experimented with it in the context of using on-demand wireguard all the time.

NextDNS has a setting that blocks ways clients might try to bypass NextDNS. These include at least 2 addresses that iCloud Private Relay uses and Apple’s related DOH.

But crucially, not just blocking it, as that would make the iPhone hang for a while, but instantly return «0.0.0.0» which makes the iPhone just show a short banner about iCloud not working at the moment (or even no banner) and instantly going through NextDNS instead.

But just this wasn’t really related to wireguard just my setup.

Can someone tell me what the "Default Connection" setting is under "Multiple VPN Connection" tab does? It has a button that turns from the Pause symbol to the Play symbol when pressed. It's also under "Internet Connection" in the same tab.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!