What's new

Asuswrt 388.1 has serious bugs on Asus AXE16000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sebastienbo

Occasional Visitor
@RMerlin I wanted to report that for the AXE16000 the firmwares do not work as intended.
There seems to be a conflict between the 6ghz and 2,4ghz part, they look like entangled to eachother.
when I disable 6ghz, then 2,4ghz is not working correctly and vice versa.
I also noticed that the 2,4 guest wifi seems to be entangled with the wifi configuration of the 6ghz, making it unable to connect to it.

I tested both the rog firmware GT-AXE16000_388.1_0_rog_nand_squashfs.pkgtb and the GT-AXE16000_388.1_0_nand_squashfs.pkgtb firmware, offcourse i tried resetting them, but the problem doesn't go away.
I suspect there might be a logical problem with the fact that AX firmwares were only foreseen for max 3 wifi frequencies but not 4 like in the axe16000 (2,4/5ghz1/5ghz2/6ghz)

Were you made aware of this?

AX firmwares don't run correctly on AXE devices? Or is it only a problem with the AXE16000

ps: reverting back to 386.8 makes it work normal again, so it seems to be a problem that is introduced in 388.1
ps2: bug 2: When setting up a dual wan with backup internet on Lan1, the firmware doesnt do a forced dhcp request on the lan1 port but instead it does this refresh on the WAN port..., this causes the backup internet interface not getting an ip adress (stays cold standby instead of hot standby) , solution that i found was to disable and enable manually the internet connection of the Lan1 interface (this bug als existed on my AX11000 router) probably a bug from asus

Last edited:
There seems to be a conflict between the 6ghz and 2,4ghz part, they look like entangled to eachother.
when I disable 6ghz, then 2,4ghz is not working correctly and vice versa.
I also noticed that the 2,4 guest wifi seems to be entangled with the wifi configuration of the 6ghz, making it unable to connect to it.
This would be an Asus issue, as Merlin doesn't have any control over WiFi.

AX firmwares don't run correctly on AXE devices? Or is it only a problem with the AXE16000
Again a Asus question as Merlin uses the released GPL's from Asus.

bug als existed on my AX11000 router) probably a bug from asus
Another Asus issue. Just call their support line. They've been known to send test firmwares to you to try.

Sure I can call their support line, but if it doesn't work on AXE routers, best thing would be to remove the faulty merlin firmware for axe routers so that no other users get into disappointment or braking their routers because these are no small bugs, it touches the essential features of wifi.
It would be nice if we could get feedback from other AXE router owners to see if they run in the same issues
At this day there are only to axe routers axe11000 and axe16000

RMerlin's firmware is rarely, if ever faulty. And there are some who have a stable system using the firmware too.

The things that he can access to fix, he does (closed source components are Asus' problem). And of course, he can only offer what Asus' provided GPL release for that model at any point in time too.

Those closed-source GPL blobs are made specifically for each model (i.e. there is no such thing as AX vs. AXE firmware - it is model specific).

If 388.1 doesn't work for you, then use a firmware version that does. I'm confident that the issues you report will be fixed when a newer GPL is released and RMerlin has the time to provide new firmware.

This is the price you pay for being a cutting-edge Alpha tester for Asus and their brand-spanking-new AXE router.

ure I can call their support line, but if it doesn't work on AXE routers, best thing would be to remove the faulty merlin firmware for axe routers so that no other users get into
I use a GT-AXE16000 as my main router, and it works fine for me. I have two 2.4 GHz clients (a Roomba, and a Goovee light that connects to a Guest Network) and a 6 GHz laptop, they all connect just fine.

AX firmwares don't run correctly on AXE devices?
That sentence makes no sense. Firmwares are model specific. You cannot flash the firmware of a specific model on a completely different one.

I am using 386.7.2 on a RT-AC5300 (I know not same branch but did not want to open a new thread yet, maybe I should?) and have faced bug 2 as well. Took me a while and accidentally I also found th deactive + activate trick to get wan2 to hot-standby :(
Any solution for this already known or where to bug track?

Last edited:
For reasons I can't fathom, the AXE16000 is the only router where Asus changed the lineup of the wireless LAN interfaces... who knows, perhaps the new wonky lineup is causing some other issues within closed source code that is making hard-coded calls to interfaces it shouldn't be. Example:

AXE16000:
Code:
wl3 = 2.4GHz
wl0 = 5.0GHz (1)
wl1 = 5.0GHz (2)
wl2 = 6.0GHz

Practically all other dual-band routers go by this method:
Code:
wl0 = 2.4GHz
wl1 = 5.0GHz

Triband routers with WiFi6 use this:
Code:
wl0 = 2.4GHz
wl1 = 5.0GHz (1)
wl2 = 5.0GHz (2)

Triband routers with WiFi6E (like the AXE11000) use this:
Code:
wl0 = 2.4GHz
wl1 = 5.0GHz
wl2 = 6.0GHz

This is also my experience with the AXE16000. The guest 1 2.4 GHz clients connect but the router refuses to forward traffic to the internet. I am actually wary to try the Asus stock because it is horribly unstable. Seems I will be stuck in 386.8

This is also my experience with the AXE16000. The guest 1 2.4 GHz clients connect but the router refuses to forward traffic to the internet. I am actually wary to try the Asus stock because it is horribly unstable. Seems I will be stuck in 386.8
I gather you have now tried Asus stock firmware 388.22237 - and that it has resolved you problem and appears to be stable.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/388-2-alpha-build-s-testing-available-build-s.82784/post-817546
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/388-2-alpha-build-s-testing-available-build-s.82784/post-817555

I got a same issue on the AXE16000 merlin rog firmware that wifi is instable.
sometimes it calls my 2.4ghz SSID the wifi 6ghz
when going AI MESH and backhaul force the ethernet port it let you check the wifi names it only shows 2.4ghz and 1 5ghz name not the other 5ghz and 6ghz.
It shows the wrong names on it.

I don't think going back to stock firmware is a good option with the mac adress filtering we have in the 2 asus AXE16000 routers in AI mesh

My lights and airco are dropping wifi connection airco is even calling it unstable.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!