What's new

Asuswrt MAC address filtering

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dawkins25

New Around Here
Hi I am new to this forum and cannot find the information. I have been told that this firmware will allow 128 MAC addresses against other manufacturers limit of 64 addresses but I cannot find confirmation of this. Can anyone help with information? It was suggested that you might have to enter the addresses on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands thus bringing it back to 64 device addresses.

I haven't tried that number myself. But if the GUI is to be believed it is 128 entries per band, therefore 256 it total.

I haven't tried that number myself. But if the GUI is to be believed it is 128 entries per band, therefore 256 it total.
That's on my fork. On the newer code levels, there is a single mac filter list that covers both bands and I believe it is limited to 64 entries.

That's on my fork. On the newer code levels, there is a single mac filter list that covers both bands and I believe it is limited to 64 entries.

And that feature has been rewritten in recent betas, adding a separate MAC filter list for Guest clients. So, it's currently very volatile code, that changes every few weeks.

OK thanks for the information. It looks like I will have to look into some other method of continuing the administration of my clubs equipment as we have reached what appears to be the magic number of 64 devices on our router and I was hoping that this might have been the solution. I can't realy risk it if the firmware is not that stable in this area.

You can use John's fork (like I do). It's stable and will give you more than 64 filters. The only thing it's lacking is some of the bells and whistles of the latest ASUS/Merlin firmwares.

Thanks for that Colin it gives me a positive lead to go to my committee for cash for new equipment.
Do bear in mind which routers are compatible with Johns firmware.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available-v13e1.18914/

The following routers are supported by this fork:
•N16, N66U, AC66U, AC56U, AC68U, AC68P (and the retail and color versions, R and W)

The following routers were released after the base code used for this fork was available, and are NOT supported.
•AC87U, AC3200 (and the retail R versions)

PS It's just occurred to me that in a worst-case scenario (assuming that you're happy with the functionality of your existing router) you could purchase another router and just put it into "access point" mode. Plug that into your existing wireless router and then you've got your old clients still connecting to the old router and new clients connecting to the new one.

Last edited:
Do bear in mind which routers are compatible with Johns firmware.

PS It's just occurred to me that in a worst-case scenario (assuming that you're happy with the functionality of your existing router) you could purchase another router and just put it into "access point" mode. Plug that into your existing wireless router and then you've got your old clients still connecting to the old router and new clients connecting to the new one.

In access point mode you do not have DHCP server running and you cannot add clients to it. It is just an extension of the main router.

Thanks for the last two posts I was pretty certain that I couldn't just attach another router but that confirms it for me. Of the listed routers would it be ok to use the DSL-AC68U instead of the AC68U and a modem as both are available locally here in the UK.

No, RMerlin's firmware (and John's fork of it) does not support the DSL variants. :(
Sorry about the delay in replying. I have been waiting for the club committee to decide what they wish to do and they are not willing to buy a modem and router and then invalidate the warranty by loading a different firmware. So thanks for all your advice and info they are going to have to come up with some other way of overcoming our problem.
Dawkins25

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!