What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.29 Beta 1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks a bunch joe , i knew i missed a check :D

but why is so much dchp chater since i have a lease time set for 7 days and i have manually assigned the around the DCHP list.

is there a way to keep a minimal log of what client connects and disconnects?

but why is so much dchp chater since i have a lease time set for 7 days and i have manually assigned the around the DCHP list.

Hi,

Yes, you can change the log level as decribed in this earlier thread by Merlin. :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

thanks a bunch joe , i knew i missed a check :D

This is often the sign that your clients are disconnecting from the network (computer being turned off, mobile devices going to sleep, etc...). When they reconnect, they have to ask for a lease from the DHCP server, as they don't keep track of the lease they last had.

thanks guys,

Merlin, yes i thought of that too but i don't get any signs on my client side that they would drop connection (downloads browsing streaming work without hiccups) and further more 2 of my clients are on wired connection so both on CAT6 cables, both gigabit capable.

Wireless side i thought that the neighborhood is some how crowded with wifi signal might get some interference.....but why the wired connection? is there any other explanation?

since is has something to do with dns masking can it bee because i checked in http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_AiDisk_others.asp > Miscellanos

force as master browser , and set as wins server? (actually all check boxes are on)

Maybe an little feature request if not possible in any other way...

is it possible to make the router save its date/time in nvram at shutdown so that it doesent think it is 1970 again everytime it reboots (until ntp corrects it)

I know this might not be a totally good solution but i think the current date/time handling is horrible :)

Maybe an little feature request if not possible in any other way...

is it possible to make the router save its date/time in nvram at shutdown so that it doesent think it is 1970 again everytime it reboots (until ntp corrects it)

I know this might not be a totally good solution but i think the current date/time handling is horrible :)

The router would still use Dec 2010 until the time it applied the saved date/time, and that date/time would still be inaccurate since there is no telling if the router had been down for 1 minute or 1 year. So you wouldn't gain anything over the current NTP method - the router would still have an inaccurate date until the moment it can actually synchronize over NTP.

I just updated my AC66U to Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.29 beta 1. Can anyone tell me how to set correct time and date in command console? Additionally, I have set it to look up the local ntp server upon reboot but somehow this never works. Can anyone help?

I am running a MBA 2013 with built-in BCM4360 (2 antenna). I always find the connection rate would drop to 175Mbps overnight when I turn on the MBA on next day, and rebooting the router gets the rate back up to 866.xxMbps. I wonder if this has something to do by setting the output power to 100mW and the radio gets overheated overnight. What is your recommendation for this setting?

Regarding date & time : you need to enter correct data for your NTP server, but ... - if your device works in a "wireless router mode" and is NOT connected to an external network via WAN port, then it will not work as well :)
What is needed in that case, is :
1. enable JFFS partition
2. enable SSH (for a short period of time)
3. log to the device via SSH
4. in the /jffs/scripts directory create the script services-start
5. in this script :
#!/bin/sh

cru a 1 "0 */2 * * * admin /usr/sbin/ntpclient -h <ip_address_or_domain_name_of_your_NTP_server_> -s

6. change permission for the script to 755
chmod 755 ./services-start

7. execute it once (next time every reboot will execute it automatically)
./services-start'

8. to avoid waiting for 2 hrs for fixing the time, run once the following command from
command line prompt :
/usr/sbin/ntpclient -h <ip_address_or_domain_name_of_your_NTP_server_> -s

9. log out and forget about the problem :)

BTW:
This is my first post to this forum, and I have wanted to thank Merlin for his job.
I have just finished setting up my environment, which, at the moment, consists of
1 x rt-n16u working in AP mode (with Merlin's newest soft)
4 x rt-n16u working in repeater mode (Merlin's newest experimental build)
Works perfectly !!! Performance is excellent (for 40MHz channelnwidth I see permanently transfers 16MB/sec, which is significantly better, than "standard" WDS mode)
Many Thanks for this feature !!!!

Best Regards
Wireless

Hey Merlin. I would think this has been reported already but I'm posting it just in case. Really minor thing. But it's about the space in the network map--see attached. I thought it was in my head until I switched back to 372. This is very minor and presents no real functional problems.

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT AC66R   Network Map.jpg
    ASUS Wireless Router RT AC66R Network Map.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Hey Merlin. I would think this has been reported already but I'm posting it just in case. Really minor thing. But it's about the space in the network map--see attached. I thought it was in my head until I switched back to 372. This is very minor and presents no real functional problems.

That's already fixed in 372.

where is your firmware and instructions for a newbee

Hi Merlin. Bought my RT-AC66U a couple weeks ago want to load your firmware. Can you link me to it, and instructions?

Hoping it will solve a problem, obviously. Trying to back up to a drive connected to one of the USB's using Norton 360. Works fine when connected directly to my PC, but keep getting errors indicating that device isn't connected. Have been able to back up a few folders, but not all the data that I want to back up. The drive is an older 1 tb Fantom USB 2.0.

Hi Merlin. Bought my RT-AC66U a couple weeks ago want to load your firmware. Can you link me to it, and instructions?

Hoping it will solve a problem, obviously. Trying to back up to a drive connected to one of the USB's using Norton 360. Works fine when connected directly to my PC, but keep getting errors indicating that device isn't connected. Have been able to back up a few folders, but not all the data that I want to back up. The drive is an older 1 tb Fantom USB 2.0.

See the sticky post in this forum with all the required information and links.

thanks guys,

Merlin, yes i thought of that too but i don't get any signs on my client side that they would drop connection (downloads browsing streaming work without hiccups) and further more 2 of my clients are on wired connection so both on CAT6 cables, both gigabit capable.

Wireless side i thought that the neighborhood is some how crowded with wifi signal might get some interference.....but why the wired connection? is there any other explanation?

since is has something to do with dns masking can it bee because i checked in http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_AiDisk_others.asp > Miscellanos

force as master browser , and set as wins server? (actually all check boxes are on)

I'm having the same issue with the stock non-beta firmware (3.0.0.4.270).

Jul 1 22:08:50 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.
Jul 1 22:09:28 dnsmasq-dhcp[553]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.99 00:23:69:71:1a:c4
Jul 1 22:09:28 dnsmasq-dhcp[553]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.99 00:23:69:71:1a:c4 Juggernaut
Jul 1 22:09:31 dnsmasq-dhcp[553]: DHCPINFORM(br0) 192.168.1.99 00:23:69:71:1a:c4
Jul 1 22:09:31 dnsmasq-dhcp[553]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.99 00:23:69:71:1a:c4 Juggernaut

This is after restarting the router a minute ago. That client is definitely not losing connection. Those log entries will repeat several times per hour.

Last edited:
This is after restarting the router a minute ago. That client is definitely not losing connection. Those log entries will repeat several times per hour.

DHCPREQUEST and DHCPINFORM packets are sent by your client, not by the router, so it's outside of the router's control.

What you posted here is a normal sequence of event, it's not multiple separate events. You have to look at exactly which type of packets are being sent to determine who is sending what.

There is unfortunately still no resolution for the RT-N66U wireless driver...

Coming next, the plan is to hope for a fixed RT-N66U driver in the near future....

Merlin, I apologize in advance, I have been absent for a few months, I tried using the forum search but couldn't quite find what "fix" you'd be discussing here.

What's the problem you're referring to in your OP with the N66U driver? Thanks.

5Ghz band has issues with intel based wifi cards , 2,4Ghz is not affected .... a fix appears to be ready in an Asus beta build but Merlin waits for the sources to be out so he can deliver a new build..... anyone corect me if im wrong

5Ghz band has issues with intel based wifi cards , 2,4Ghz is not affected .... a fix appears to be ready in an Asus beta build but Merlin waits for the sources to be out so he can deliver a new build..... anyone corect me if im wrong

There's no fixed build available yet AFAIK. The latest release (370) didn't fix it.

Hi Merlin, is Asus aware that 370 does not fix the problem?

Cheers,

Bob

Probably, since last time I asked they said they had no ETA on a fixed driver.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!