What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.30_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A CFE is similar to a motherboard BIOS, while the firmware would be your Windows/Linux installation.
I suspected that. I was just confused by the words that the CFE was mentioned as a part of the firmware while the latter was being compared with 354. As I know the firmware source tree does have the CFE source files though they are never compiled.

Asus releases official 3.0.0.4.372 firmware

I await to hear if the driver is fixed. They have officially included beamforming for 5GHz. Hopefully that channel is table now.
(Select Windows 7, 64 bit OS to see the page)
ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.372

Fixed:
1. Fixed AiCloud vulnerability related bugs.
2. Underline "_" can now be acceptable in device name and computer name.
3. Hide Broadcast option in PPTP VPN server when it is disabled.
4. Fixed multicast IPTV related issues in PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP connection.
5 .Fixed parental control offset issue in IE.
6. Fixed 3G dongle related issue.
7. Hide ASUS DDNS description when selecting 3rd party service.
8. Fixed script error 'invalid argument on IE'
9. Fixed smart sync JS error
10. Fixed JST time zone issue.

Added:
1. Upgraded the wireless driver and supported 5GHz explicit Tx beamforming.
2. Disk scan feature. It is in external USB disk status tab in network map.
3. Support Sandisk Cruzer flash drive with both CD-ROM and flash disk interface.
4. Auto adjust time zone in internet setup wizard process.
5. PPTP VPN server status GUI
6. Recognized .rmvb files as video format in media server.
7. Show more detail information in USB application install process.

IPv6
1. Fixed PPP IPv6 global address retrieval
2. added DHCP-PD option
3. Added LAN DHCPv6 server
4. Added network status GUI.
5. Added option domain name if available

3G/4G dongles
1. Support Yota LTE dongle LU150
2. Support ZTE LTE dongle MF821
3. Support 3G dongle Q110

ASUS RT-AC66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.372

Before anyone asks: this release from Asus is based on newer 372 code than what I have. I will eventually upgrade to it, but it will have to wait until 1) the GPL source is released, and 2) I can find the time. Development is pretty much on-hold for a week or two as work leaves me no time to play with this these days.

Tried the 372 versions and have same issue as before. Despite telling the router I have security on the attached USB device I am not prompted for sign in/password.

Am with any of the 270's.

Tried the 372 versions and have same issue as before. Despite telling the router I have security on the attached USB device I am not prompted for sign in/password.
Am with any of the 270's.

Where did you get it? For some strange reason it's not showing up no matter how many times I refresh the page.

I'm currently running 3.0.0.4.354.29 and using openvpn, can I remotely upgrade the firmware and will all of my settings get saved? I just want to ensure I won't lose remote access for my keys etc.

I'm currently running 3.0.0.4.354.29 and using openvpn, can I remotely upgrade the firmware and will all of my settings get saved? I just want to ensure I won't lose remote access for my keys etc.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to flash firmware remotely. I think best practice is to be hardwired on the same LAN as the device.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to flash firmware remotely. I think best practice is to be hardwired on the same LAN as the device.
Never flash remotely. Always flash via a LAN hard-wired connection. If you attempt a remote flash you are begging for trouble. If anything goes wrong you will not be able to use recovery mode remotely to unbrick the router.

Before anyone asks: this release from Asus is based on newer 372 code than what I have. I will eventually upgrade to it, but it will have to wait until 1) the GPL source is released, and 2) I can find the time. Development is pretty much on-hold for a week or two as work leaves me no time to play with this these days.
No worries Merlin. Take all the time you need even though that means we will have to wait. <boo hoo, sniff> :)

Get it?

From merlin's web site.

I flash and have via wireless connection, non-wired lan connection, for years and years. Have done wireless since early Linksys WRT days....

Couple of very noobish questions, cause I`m a new owner of the AC66:
1. If I upgrade my AC66u to latest Merlin firmware (from 3.0.0.4.354) will it void warranty or something like that ?
2. Is it easy for downgrade to official firmware, or older versions ?
3. Will Merlin firmware improve range and stability performance ?
Thanks in advance!
P.S. Any links for optimizing the performance of the AC66u would be greatly appreciated. (Noob proof ones lol)

Never flash remotely, especially for the RT-AC66U or RT-AC56U. These routers will often get stuck in the reboot following the flashing procedure, requiring a manual power cycle of the router.

Flashing over wireless is usually safe, provided you trust the stability of your wifi, and have access to a wired machine in case something goes wrong and you need to use recovery mode. I've flashed my router plenty of times over wifi (and even more often over SSH, but that's another story ;) ) without any problem.

Couple of very noobish questions, cause I`m a new owner of the AC66:
1. If I upgrade my AC66u to latest Merlin firmware (from 3.0.0.4.354) will it void warranty or something like that ?
2. Is it easy for downgrade to official firmware, or older versions ?
3. Will Merlin firmware improve range and stability performance ?
Thanks in advance!
P.S. Any links for optimizing the performance of the AC66u would be greatly appreciated. (Noob proof ones lol)

1) No official answer from Asus. My personal opinion however is that it's fine, considering that Asus has even advertized DD-WRT support on their own website.

2) Sure, just flash it like any regular firmware once again. It's usually best to revert back to factory default when going to an older version, or if you go back to the original firmware and intend to stay with it (so you can get rid of the settings that are not used by the original FW).

3) Not really, unless my build uses an older driver version for stability reasons. For example, 372.30_2 on the RT-N66U is far more stasble than the original Asuswrt 370 release. That's because I use the older driver from 270, the 370 version being broken. In the case of the RT-AC66U there won't be any difference in wireless range or stability - same driver as they use in 354.

I'm a little confused about the wording on the download page.

The N66U has "All Models" and "B1 Only" versions. To me, "all models" means it includes B1, while the "B1 only" is exclusive to B1 models.

Is it supposed to mean "All other models"? Or, can the B1 models use either firmware?

I'm a little confused about the wording on the download page.

The N66U has "All Models" and "B1 Only" versions. To me, "all models" means it includes B1, while the "B1 only" is exclusive to B1 models.

Is it supposed to mean "All other models"? Or, can the B1 models use either firmware?

"All models" really means "All models".

There is now a newer N66U that has a different hardware than the original B1, possibly, asus will call it B2. If you own a B1 or B2 model, both can use the firmware in the "all models" to update/downgrade. However, a B2 model cannot use the firmware in the "B1 Only", only B1 can be flashed from there. Eventually, my guess is, Merlin's new firmwares moving forward will be in the "all models" folder.

There is now a newer N66U that has a different hardware than the original B1, possibly, asus will call it B2. If you own a B1 or B2 model, both can use the firmware in the "all models" to update/downgrade. However, a B2 model cannot use the firmware in the "B1 Only", only B1 can be flashed from there. Eventually, my guess is, Merlin's new firmwares moving forward will be in the "all models" folder.

So what is the difference between the two firmwares? Are there additional features on the B1 firmware?

None, the firmware in "all models" just recognizes the model and appropriately apply the proper codes . I think RMerlin explained this in the sticky post. The reason this was done is, if you flash a B2 N66u from the B1 folder, your router will be bricked with a chance of no recovery.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!